|53,657 (53,764)||1,217||108|| (3.51)||230||1|
- The Alchemist (Introduction, some editions) 22,818 copies, 613 reviews
- Veronika Decides to Die 5,151 copies, 112 reviews
- Eleven Minutes 3,774 copies, 59 reviews
- By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept: A Novel of Forgiveness 2,940 copies, 37 reviews
- The Zahir 2,852 copies, 43 reviews
- The Devil and Miss Prym 2,600 copies, 58 reviews
- The Witch of Portobello 2,485 copies, 57 reviews
- The Pilgrimage: A Contemporary Quest for Ancient Wisdom 2,127 copies, 30 reviews
- Brida 1,610 copies, 36 reviews
- The Fifth Mountain 1,596 copies, 22 reviews
- Warrior of the Light 1,367 copies, 12 reviews
- The Valkyries 1,141 copies, 16 reviews
- The Winner Stands Alone 761 copies, 34 reviews
- Like the Flowing River: Thoughts and Reflections 645 copies, 9 reviews
- Aleph 459 copies, 20 reviews
- Manuscript Found in Accra 247 copies, 20 reviews
- Maktub 186 copies, 3 reviews
- Life: Selected Quotations 174 copies, 1 review
- Adultery: A novel 142 copies, 14 reviews
- The Alchemist: A Graphic Novel 126 copies, 6 reviews
- The Valkyries; The Fifth Mountain; Veronika Decides to Die 49 copies
- Inspirations: Selections from Classic Literature (Penguin Classics) (Editor) 46 copies, 1 review
- The Way of the Bow 34 copies, 3 reviews
- Unterwegs. Der Wanderer. 34 copies
- And on the Seventh Day 30 copies, 2 reviews
- The Alchemist - The Pilgrimage - By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept 27 copies
- De hoogste gave 24 copies, 1 review
- AMOR (Spanish Edition) 16 copies, 1 review
- Unterwegs. Geschichten und Gedanken. 14 copies
- Stories for Parents, Children and Grandchildren - Volume 1 11 copies, 1 review
- Palabras Esenciales/Essential Words 10 copies
Top members (works)
Paulo Coelho has 1 upcoming event.
Octavia Books Book Club - THE ALCHEMIST (February 2015)
Did you make a resolution to read more? How about joining a book club? The Octavia Books Book Club is meeting on Saturday, February 21, 2015, 10:30 for a discussion of The Alchemist
by Paulo Coehlo
. Book clubs receive 10% off the cover price of books when they purchase them through our store.Paulo Coelho
's enchanting novel has inspired a devoted following around the world. This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and soul-stirring wisdom, is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried near the Pyramids. Along the way he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an Alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles in his path. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within. Lush, evocative, and deeply humane, the story of Santiago is an eternal testament to the transforming power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Paulo Coelho, born in Rio de Janeiro in 1947, is one of the bestselling and most influential authors in the world. The Alchemist, The Pilgrimage, The Valkyries, Brida, Veronika Decides to Die, Eleven Minutes, The Zahir, The Witch of Portobello, and The Winner Stands Alone, among others, have sold 115 million copies in more than 160 countries.
Location: Street: 513 Octavia St City: New Orleans, Province: Louisiana Postal Code: 70115-2055 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
Paulo Coelho has 1 media appearance.
Coelho Explores Goddesses in 'Witch of Portobello'
Paulo Coelho has 6 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
The Brazilian author PAULO COELHO was born in 1947 in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Before dedicating his life completely to literature, he worked as theatre director and actor, lyricist and journalist.
Coelho wrote song lyrics for many famous performers in Brazilian music, such as Elis Regina and Rita Lee. Yet his most well known work has been done with Raul Seixas. Together they wrote such successes as Eu nasci há dez mil anos atrás (I was born ten thousand years ago), Gita and Al Capone, amongst other 60 songs.
His fascination with the spiritual quest dates back to his hippie days, when he travelled the world learning about secret societies, oriental religions, etc.
In 1982 Coelho published his first book, Hell Archives, which failed to make any kind of impact. In 1985 he contributed to the Practical Manual of Vampirism, although he later tried to take it off the shelves, since he considered it “of bad quality”. In 1986, PAULO COELHO did the pilgrimage to Saint James of Compostella, an experience later to be documented in his book The Pilgrimage.
In the following year, COELHO published The Alchemist. Slow initial sales convinced his first publisher to drop the novel, but it went on to become one of the best selling Brazilian books of all time.
Other titles include Brida (1990), The Valkyries (1992), By the river Piedra I sat Down and Wept (1994), the collection of his best columns published in the Brazilian newspaper Folha de São Paulo entitle Maktub (1994), the compilation of texts Phrases (1995), The Fifth Mountain (1996), Manual of a Warrior of Light (1997), Veronika decides to die (1998), The Devil and Miss Prym (2000), the compilation of traditional tales in Stories for parents, children and grandchildren (2001), Eleven Minutes (2003), The Zahir (2005), The Witch of Portobello (2006) and a compilation of texts gathered under the title Like a Flowing River (2006) published in a few countries for the moment.
He also adapted The Gift (Henry Drummond) and Love letters of a prophet (Kalil Gibran).
To date, Coelho has sold a total of 100 million copies and, according to the magazine Publishing Trends; he was the most sold author in the world in 2003 with his book Eleven Minutes – even though at the time it hadn’t been released in the United States, Japan or 10 other countries!
Also according to Publishing Trends, The Alchemist was to be found in the 6th place of world sales in 2003. Eleven Minutes topped all lists in the world, except for England, where it was in second place. The Zahir, published in 2005, was in third place of bestsellers according to Publishing Trends, after Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons.
The Alchemist was one of the most important literary phenomena of the 20th century. It reaches the first place in bestselling lists in 18 countries, and so far has sold 30 million copies.
The book has been praised by different personalities ranging from the Nobel Prize Kenzaburo Oe to the singer Madonna, who considers it one of her favourite books. It has equally inspired many projects – such as a musical in Japan, theatre plays in France, Belgium, USA, Turkey, Italy, Switzerland. It is also the theme of two symphonies (Italy and USA) and had its text illustrated by the famous French artist Moebius (author of the sceneries for he Fifth Element and Alien).
His work has been translated in 67 languages and edited in more than 150 countries.http://www.paulocoelho.com
Improve this author
Paulo Coelho is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Paulo Coelho is composed of 37 names. You can examine and separate out names.