- City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi 811 copies, 13 reviews
- From the Holy Mountain 778 copies, 11 reviews
- White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India 742 copies, 7 reviews
- The Last Mughal: The Fall of a Dynasty: Delhi, 1857 647 copies, 13 reviews
- The Age of Kali: Indian Travels and Encounters 478 copies, 9 reviews
- In Xanadu 475 copies, 8 reviews
- Nine lives: in search of the sacred in modern India 352 copies, 14 reviews
- The Return of a King 75 copies, 2 reviews
- Lonely Planet Sacred India 13 copies
- Princes and Painters in Mughal Delhi, 1707-1857 (Asia Society) 6 copies
- A Journey Through India: Company School Pictures 1 copy
- Edge of Faith 1 copy
- A new guide to Helmsley Parish 1 copy
- 'Last of the Mughals' in AFR, 3 Nov 2006 1 copy
Top members (works)
William Dalrymple has 1 upcoming event.
May Blockbusters: William Dalrymple
is an award-winning writer and director of India’s Jaipur literary festival. He fell in love with India aged eighteen, and the country has been at the centre of his writing since.
His latest book, Return of a King: The Battle for Afghanistan
, is the last in what he calls the East India Company trilogy, following White Mughals and The Last Mughal.
It tells what happened when the British Governor-General of India was convinced to invade Afghanistan – in order to save India, ‘the jewel of the British empire’, from an imaginary Russian threat. Of course, this paved the path for subsequent wars … and sheds devastating light on the one being waged now.
Dalrymple has immersed himself in literature telling the Afghan side of the story; the result is, according to the Guardian, ‘a racy tale of imperial misadventure and Victorian jihadism’ that shows us ‘ourselves as others see us’.
William Dalrymple appears as part of a double-bill with Anita Desai. (rodneyvc)… (more)
William Dalrymple has 1 media appearance.
William Dalrymple has 11 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Related book awards
Improve this author
"William Dalrymple" is composed of 3 distinct authors, divided by their works. You can edit the division.
Go to the disambiguation page to edit author name combination and separation.
William Dalrymple is composed of 7 names. You can examine and separate out names.