|3,917 (5,818)||56||2,833|| (3.89)||6||0|
- The Classic Slave Narratives (Editor; Introduction) 599 copies, 3 reviews
- The Bondwoman's Narrative (Editor) 554 copies, 9 reviews
- The Norton Anthology of African American Literature 358 copies, 1 review
- Colored People: A Memoir 292 copies, 4 reviews
- The Dictionary of Global Culture (Editor) 182 copies, 2 reviews
- The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism 160 copies, 1 review
- The Future of the Race 122 copies, 1 review
- Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Man 79 copies
- The African-American Century : How Black Americans Have Shaped Our Country 78 copies
- Loose Canons: Notes on the Culture Wars 77 copies
- "Race," Writing, and Difference 73 copies
- America Behind the Color Line: Dialogues with African Americans 65 copies
- Reading Black, Reading Feminist: A Critical Anthology (Meridian) 62 copies
- Finding Oprah's Roots: Finding Your Own 59 copies, 3 reviews
- The Autobiography of an Ex-Coloured Man (Introduction, some editions) 807 copies, 9 reviews
- Our Nig: or, Sketches from the Life of a Free Black (Editor, some editions; Introduction, some editions) 376 copies, 3 reviews
- Moses, Man of the Mountain (Series editor, some editions) 230 copies
- Iola Leroy, or, Shadows Uplifted (Foreword, some editions) 180 copies, 1 review
- My Bookstore: Writers Celebrate Their Favorite Places to Browse, Read, and… (Contributor) 170 copies, 8 reviews
- The Annotated Uncle Tom's Cabin (Editor) 122 copies
- The Best American Essays 1995 (Contributor) 108 copies
- Mule Bone: A Comedy of Negro Life in Three Acts (Editor, some editions) 88 copies, 1 review
- Three Classic African-American Novels (Editor, some editions) 56 copies
- The Columbia Reader on Lesbians & Gay Men in Media, Society, and Politics (Contributor) 56 copies
- Deconstruction and the Possibility of Justice (Contributor) 27 copies
- More Great Railway Journeys (Contributor) 18 copies, 1 review
- The Harvard Guide to African-American History (Foreword, some editions) 15 copies
- Spiritual Narratives (Foreword) 14 copies
Top members (works)
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has 3 media appearances.
Henry Louis Gates Jr.
Henry Louis Gates Jr.
discusses Colored People: A Memoir
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. talked about the life of an African American between 1950 and 1970, when "colored" was the name used by both outsiders members of the race themselves to self identify. Dr. Gates talked about the black vernacular and said that he would like to write a book about each subsequent name, such as "Negro" and "black." He talked about black culture during this time, including racial relations. He also talked about his life, work, and family and how he came to write the book. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is the author of Colored People: A Memoir, published by Alfred A. Knopf. (timspalding)… (more)
A conversation with historian Henry Louis GatesJr.
Henry Louis Gates
A conversation with author and historian Henry Louis GatesJr. of Harvard University about the discovery of a novel written by a slave in the 1850s entitled (timspalding)
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has 3 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Related book awards
Improve this author
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is composed of 20 names. You can examine and separate out names.