|5,965 (5,967)||106||2,427|| (3.85)||28||0|
- Glittering Images 599 copies, 10 reviews
- Penmarric 580 copies, 8 reviews
- Cashelmara 485 copies, 12 reviews
- Glamorous Powers 435 copies, 6 reviews
- The Wheel of Fortune 432 copies, 10 reviews
- Ultimate Prizes 378 copies, 5 reviews
- Absolute Truths 374 copies, 5 reviews
- Scandalous Risks 347 copies, 5 reviews
- Mystical Paths 342 copies, 5 reviews
- The Wonder Worker 338 copies, 2 reviews
- The Rich Are Different 307 copies, 8 reviews
- Sins of the Fathers 275 copies, 7 reviews
- The High Flyer 258 copies, 3 reviews
- The Heartbreaker 219 copies, 6 reviews
- The Shrouded Walls 83 copies, 3 reviews
- The Dark Shore 71 copies, 1 review
- The Waiting Sands 63 copies, 2 reviews
- Call in the Night 56 copies, 2 reviews
- The Devil on Lammas Night 51 copies, 2 reviews
- April's Grave 44 copies, 2 reviews
- The Waiting Sands And The Devil On Lammas Night 37 copies
- Susan Howatch: 5 Complete Novels (Author) 30 copies
- The Wheel of Fortune, Vol. 1 25 copies
- The Shrouded Walls & The Dark Shore 24 copies
- Terugkeer naar Oxmoon 22 copies, 1 review
- The Shrouded Walls / April's Grave / The Devil on Lammas Night 19 copies, 1 review
- April's Grave and Call in the Night 17 copies
- Glittering Images Glamorous Powers 14 copies
- The Susan Howatch Collection: v. 1 5 copies
- Salisbury and the Starbridge Novels 4 copies
- The Dark Shore, The Waiting Sands, and Call in the Night: Susan Howatch… 4 copies
Top members (works)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Born Susan Elizabeth Sturt in Leatherhead, Surrey, England, she was the daughter of a stockbroker, and went to school at Sutton High School. She was an only child whose father was killed during World War II, but she has described her childhood as a happy one.
She obtained a degree in law from King's College London in 1961. In 1964, she emigrated to the United States, where she worked as a secretary in New York City. She married Joseph Howatch, a sculptor and writer, that year and began her career as a writer, finding success almost immediately with her intricately detailed gothic novels. A daughter was born to the couple in 1971. Upon separating from her husband in 1975, Howatch returned to England, then lived in the Republic of Ireland from 1976–80 before moving back to England permanently in 1980.
After her latter return to England, Howatch found herself "rich, successful, and living exactly where I wanted to live," but feeling a spiritual emptiness which she ascribed to "trying to hold my divided self together" and questioning her life and what she should do with it.
She had settled in Salisbury out of love for the beauty of the town, but found herself increasingly drawn to Salisbury Cathedral; eventually she began to study Anglican Christianity in earnest. She experienced a spiritual epiphany, and concluded that she should continue to write novels, but to "set forth my discoveries in the light of faith, no matter how feeble and inadequate my beginner's faith was." This personal turning point culminated in Howatch's most successful and popular works, the Starbridge series.
Improve this author
Susan Howatch is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Susan Howatch is composed of 8 names. You can examine and separate out names.