- The Secret Life of Bees 18,951 copies, 451 reviews
- The Mermaid Chair 5,216 copies, 150 reviews
- The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian… 783 copies, 14 reviews
- The Invention of Wings 517 copies, 41 reviews
- Traveling with pomegranates 473 copies, 27 reviews
- When the Heart Waits: Spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions… 361 copies, 1 review
- Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd 151 copies, 1 review
- God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved 93 copies
- Love's Hidden Blessings: God Can Touch Your Life When You Least Expect It 15 copies, 1 review
- All Things Are Possible 9 copies
- 2 Books By Sue Monk Kidd (The Secret Life of Bees, The Mermaid Chair) 7 copies
- Schmetterlingszeit: Mein Weg zum Glück 4 copies
- The Chickens 1 copy
- THE INVENTION OF WINGS 1 copy
Top members (works)
Sue Monk Kidd has 4 upcoming events.
Sue Monk Kidd
Daytime Fiction Book Club
Sunday, April 27, 2:00 p.m.
Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
Hetty “Handful” Grimke, an urban slave in early nineteenth century Charleston, yearns for life beyond the suffocating walls that enclose her within the wealthy Grimke household. The Grimke’s daughter, Sarah, has known from an early age she is meant to do something large in the world, but she is hemmed in by the limits imposed on women.
Kidd’s sweeping novel is set in motion on Sarah’s eleventh birthday, when she is given ownership of ten year old Handful, who is to be her handmaid. We follow their remarkable journeys over the next thirty five years, as both strive for a life of their own.
Location: Street: 1010 El Camino Real City: Menlo Park, Province: California Postal Code: 94025-4349 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
Girls Gotta Read Adult Book Club
Sue Monk Kidd has 51 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Sue Monk Kidd was born in Albany, Georgia and raised in the tiny town of Sylvester, Georgia, a place that later deeply influenced the writing of her first novel. Her original career was as a nurse and nursing instructor. Her first published book was God's Joyful Surprise (1988), a spiritual memoir. In 1996, she published another memoir, The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, which had a groundbreaking effect within religious circles.
In her 40s, she decided to return to her earlier fiction writing, and enrolled in a graduate writing course at Emory University, as well as studying at Sewanee, Bread Loaf and other writers' conferences. She wrote and published short stories in small literary journals for which she won several awards. Her first novel The Secret Life of Bees (2002) became a major hit, selling more than 6 million copies and spending more than 2½ years on the New York Times bestseller list. It was also published in 35 countries and is now widely used as a text in high school and college classrooms. The Secret Life of Bees was produced on stage in New York by The American Place Theater and adapted into a movie in 2008.
Sue's second novel, The Mermaid Chair (2005) sold nearly 2 million copies and was #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. It has been translated into 24 languages and was produced as a television movie by Lifetime.
Related book awards
Improve this author
Sue Monk Kidd is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Sue Monk Kidd is composed of 18 names. You can examine and separate out names.