|18,655 (34,137)||1,346||540|| (3.9)||121||4|
- Old Man's War 4,478 copies, 215 reviews
- The Ghost Brigades 2,489 copies, 86 reviews
- The Last Colony 1,991 copies, 76 reviews
- Redshirts 1,565 copies, 157 reviews
- The Android's Dream 1,403 copies, 53 reviews
- Zoe's Tale 1,306 copies, 83 reviews
- Agent to the Stars 896 copies, 51 reviews
- Fuzzy Nation 738 copies, 71 reviews
- The Sagan Diary 441 copies, 21 reviews
- The God Engines 432 copies, 33 reviews
- The Human Division 338 copies, 22 reviews
- METAtropolis (Editor; Contributor) 319 copies, 22 reviews
- Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded: A Decade of Whatever, 1998-2008 227 copies, 12 reviews
- You're Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop to a Coffee Shop 135 copies, 7 reviews
- The Human Division #1: The B-Team 110 copies, 11 reviews
- The Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies 103 copies, 5 reviews
- Judge Sn Goes Golfing 98 copies, 7 reviews
- Lock In (Author) 91 copies, 5 reviews
- After the Coup 77 copies, 7 reviews
- The Human Division #2: Walk the Plank 76 copies, 7 reviews
- Questions for a Soldier 71 copies, 1 review
- The Human Division #6: The Back Channel 69 copies, 6 reviews
- The Human Division #4: A Voice in the Wilderness 68 copies, 7 reviews
- The Human Division #5: Tales From the Clarke 68 copies, 5 reviews
- The Human Division #3: We Only Need the Heads 68 copies, 7 reviews
- The Human Division #7: The Dog King 67 copies, 6 reviews
- The Rough Guide to the Universe 67 copies
- The Human Division #8: The Sound of Rebellion 65 copies, 4 reviews
- The Human Division #10: This Must Be the Place 63 copies, 2 reviews
- The Human Division #9: The Observers 63 copies, 6 reviews
- The Human Division #12: The Gentle Art of Cracking Heads 59 copies, 2 reviews
Top members (works)
John Scalzi has 4 upcoming events.
John Scalzi Signs in San Diego
Award-winning writer and bestselling author John Scalzi
is also an active and passionate voice in the fan community, mostly through his long-running blog titled “Whatever.” With the Hugo, the Locus, the Seiun and Kurd Lasswitz awards under his belt, and with books available in 20 languages, Scalzi
has become one of the most recognized voices in speculative fiction. Lock In
, his newest novel set fifteen years in the future, finds the population split by a nasty virus, with one percent being “locked in”: fully aware yet unable to move or speak. When new technology allows for those locked in to communicate with others, and at times control others, things get complicated . . . especially when murder is involved.
Lock In is our September Fantastic First Pick for Speculative Fiction.
This is a numbered event – numbers for the signing line are free with the purchase of Lock In from Mysterious Galaxy, available August 26th, starting at 10 AM!
If you are planning to attend the event, please do not place your order through the web site as all such orders are processed after the event. Instead, please contact the store and purchase the book on or after the on-sale date.
Location: Street: 7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd Additional: Ste 302 City: San Diego, Province: California Postal Code: 92111-1040 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
Best-selling science fiction author John Scalzi, 'Lock In'
is a well-known bestselling science fiction author and winner of the Hugo Award for Excellence in Science Fiction (Best Novel, 2013, for Redshirts). We are very excited to bring him to Concord for his newest novel, Lock In
About the book:
Fifteen years from now, a new virus sweeps the globe. 95% of those afflicted experience nothing worse than fever and headaches. Four percent suffer acute meningitis, creating the largest medical crisis in history. And one percent find themselves “locked in”—fully awake and aware, but unable to move or respond to stimulus.
One per cent doesn't seem like a lot. But in the United States, that's 1.7 million people “locked in”...including the President's wife and daughter.
Spurred by grief and the sheer magnitude of the suffering, America undertakes a massive scientific initiative. Nothing can restore the ability to control their own bodies to the locked in. But then two new technologies emerge. One is a virtual-reality environment, “The Agora,” in which the locked-in can interact with other humans, both locked-in and not. The other is the discovery that a few rare individuals have brains that are receptive to being controlled by others, meaning that from time to time, those who are locked in can “ride” these people and use their bodies as if they were their own.
This skill is quickly regulated, licensed, bonded, and controlled. Nothing can go wrong. Certainly nobody would be tempted to misuse it, for murder, for political power, or worse.... (GibsonsB)… (more)
John Scalzi ~ Lock In ~ Seminary Co-op Bookstore
Tuesday, October 21st, 6 PM Seminary Co-op Bookstore 5751 S. Woodlawn Avenue Phone: 773.752.4381 email@example.comLock In
takes place twenty-five years after a highly contagious virus swept across the globe, leaving more than five million people “locked in:” fully awake and aware, but unable to move or respond to stimulus. When a murder involving one of the locked in takes place, it’s up to FBI agents Chris Shane and Leslie Vann to navigate from the halls of corporate power to the virtual spaces of the locked in to the very heart of an emerging, surprising new human culture.
John Scalzi is one of the most popular and acclaimed SF authors to emerge in the last decade. His massively successful debut Old Man’s War won him science fiction’s John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer. His New York Times bestsellers include The Last Colony, Fuzzy Nation, and Redshirts; which won 2013’s Hugo Award for Best Novel. Material from his widely read blog The Whatever (whatever.scalzi.com) has also earned him two other Hugo Awards. He lives in Ohio with his wife and daughter.
Location: Street: Seminary Co-op Bookstore Additional: 5751 S. Woodlawn Ave. City: Chicago, Province: Illinois Postal Code: 60637 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
John Scalzi has 24 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Improve this author
John Scalzi is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
John Scalzi is composed of 5 names. You can examine and separate out names.