|14,292 (17,435)||376||785|| (3.64)||54||1|
- A Thousand Acres 4,376 copies, 72 reviews
- Moo 1,973 copies, 42 reviews
- The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton 942 copies, 20 reviews
- Horse Heaven 856 copies, 11 reviews
- The Greenlanders 721 copies, 21 reviews
- Good Faith 677 copies, 12 reviews
- Thirteen ways of looking at the novel 629 copies, 19 reviews
- Duplicate Keys 564 copies, 13 reviews
- Ten Days in the Hills 485 copies, 14 reviews
- Private Life 482 copies, 43 reviews
- The Age of Grief 379 copies, 6 reviews
- Ordinary Love and Good Will 345 copies, 7 reviews
- Some Luck 295 copies, 19 reviews
- Barn Blind 271 copies, 3 reviews
- Charles Dickens 246 copies, 11 reviews
- The Best American Short Stories 1995 (Editor) 234 copies
- At Paradise Gate: A Novel 221 copies, 4 reviews
- A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck 134 copies, 4 reviews
- The Georges and the Jewels 101 copies, 8 reviews
- The Man Who Invented the Computer: The Biography of John Atanasoff,… 97 copies, 5 reviews
- Best New American Voices 2006 72 copies, 1 review
- A Good Horse 61 copies, 3 reviews
- True Blue 23 copies
- Pie in the Sky 17 copies, 1 review
- The True Subject: Writers on Life and Craft 14 copies
- Nobody's Horse 13 copies, 1 review
- Great American Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Signature Editn) 13 copies
- Gee Whiz: Book Five of the Horses of Oak Valley Ranch 12 copies
- Catskill crafts : artisans of the Catskill Mountains 11 copies
- Early Warning: A novel 9 copies
- Portraits d'après nature, précédé de "Un amour… 4 copies
- The Sagas of Icelanders (Preface) 1,411 copies, 10 reviews
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn [Norton Critical Edition, 3rd ed.] (Contributor) 647 copies, 6 reviews
- Writers on Writing: Collected Essays from The New York Times (Contributor) 304 copies, 4 reviews
- You've Got to Read This: Contemporary American Writers Introduce Stories… (Introduction) 285 copies, 3 reviews
- The Workshop: Seven Decades of the Iowa Writers Workshop - 43 Stories,… (Contributor) 143 copies
- Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York… (Introduction) 126 copies, 2 reviews
- The Barbie Chronicles: A Living Doll Turns Forty (Contributor) 81 copies, 1 review
- Why We Write: 20 Acclaimed Authors on How and Why They Do What They Do (Contributor) 68 copies, 6 reviews
- Mentors, Muses & Monsters: 30 Writers on the People Who Changed Their… (Contributor) 49 copies, 2 reviews
- Marta Oulie: A Novel of Betrayal (Introduction, some editions) 24 copies, 2 reviews
- A Thousand Acres [film] 5 copies
Top members (works)
Jane Smiley has 1 upcoming event.
Credit: Elena SeibertJane Smiley
Tuesday, May 5, 7:30 p.m.Early Warning
Pulitzer Prize winning author Jane Smiley
brings us the second volume in The Last Hundred Years trilogy, which started with Some luck, long-listed for the National Book award. Come help us celebrate the publication of Early Warning, the book that chronicles the Langdon's family journey through mid-century America.
Early Warning opens in 1953 with the Langdons at a crossroads. Without spoiling it for those of you who haven't read Some luck, the five Langdon children are left looking to the future. One remains to work the Iowa farm, while the others scatter to Washington, DC, California, and everywhere in between.
The Langdon children then have children of their own: twin boys who are best friends and vicious rivals; a girl whose rebellious spirit takes her to the notorious Peoples Temple in San Francisco; and a golden boy who drops out of college to fight in Vietnam—leaving behind a secret legacy that will send shockwaves through the Langdon family into the next generation.
The book captures an indelible period in America - the Cold War, the social and sexual revolutions of the 1960s and '70s, and the unprecedented wealth of the early '80s - through the lens of richly drawn characters we come to know and love.
Jane Smiley is the author of numerous novels, including A Thousand Acres, which was awarded the Pulitzer Prize. A member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters, she has also received the PEN USA Lifetime Achievement Award for Literature.
Location: Street: 1010 El Camino Real City: Menlo Park, Province: California Postal Code: 94025-4349 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
Jane Smiley has 23 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Improve this author
Jane Smiley is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Jane Smiley is composed of 9 names. You can examine and separate out names.