|21,290 (24,481)||148||471|| (3.81)||58||1|
- The Three Theban Plays: Antigone ; Oedipus at Colonus ; Oedipus the King 8,460 copies, 33 reviews
- Oedipus Tyrannus 3,688 copies, 31 reviews
- Antigone 2,856 copies, 30 reviews
- The Complete Plays of Sophocles (Author) 1,302 copies, 7 reviews
- Ajax; Electra; Philoctetes; Women of Trachis 1,233 copies, 1 review
- Antigone; Electra; Oedipus the King 509 copies, 4 reviews
- Electra 402 copies, 5 reviews
- Greek tragedies, Volume 2 294 copies, 2 reviews
- Antigone; Oedipus the King 252 copies, 1 review
- Britannica Great Books: Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes 245 copies, 2 reviews
- Oedipus at Colonus 244 copies, 6 reviews
- Philoctetes 206 copies, 2 reviews
- Ajax 171 copies, 3 reviews
- Trachiniae [in Greek] 166 copies, 1 review
- Greek tragedies, Volume 1 (Contributor) 822 copies, 1 review
- Greek tragedies, Volume 3 (Contributor) 391 copies, 1 review
- Greek Drama (Contributor) 295 copies, 2 reviews
- Seven Famous Greek Plays: Prometheus Bound, Agamemnon, Oedipus The King,… (Contributor) 267 copies, 2 reviews
- Eight Great Tragedies (Contributor) 265 copies, 1 review
- The Portable Greek Reader (Contributor, some editions) 252 copies
- Ten Greek Plays in Contemporary Translations (Contributor) 192 copies
- The complete Greek tragedies (Contributor) 140 copies
- Masterpieces of the Drama (Contributor) 124 copies, 2 reviews
- The Moral Life: An Introductory Reader in Ethics and Literature (Contributor) 96 copies, 1 review
- An Anthology of Greek Drama: First Series (Author) 88 copies, 1 review
- Four Famous Greek Plays (Contributor) 51 copies, 1 review
- Four Greek Plays (Contributor) 50 copies
- Greek Plays in Modern Translation (Author, some editions) 49 copies
Top members (works)
Sophocles has 1 upcoming event.
Poetry Reading ~ Michael Autrey & John Tipton ~ Seminary Co-op Bookstore
Thursday, October 23, 6 PM Seminary Co-op Bookstore 5751 S. Woodlawn Avenue Phone: 773.752.4381 email@example.com
What do we fear? Hard to say. Or, vaguely, disease, decrepitude, dissipation. Whatever it is, we work to keep fear in abeyance. Or we repress it, suffering the consequence of our anxiety to face it. What to do? Write something. In the elegant poems in Michael Autrey’s first full-length collection, our fear is a mysterious remnant disturbingly augured in fizzling dream fragments, birds’ predatory cunning, and the glorious extravagances of great art. And these limn for us what we fear most, “a future, in which we are scanned like a text.”
Michael Autrey was raised in Oregon, attended schools in France, Greece and his home town of Portland. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago. He has lived and worked in Prague, Geneva, New York, Washington D.C., rural Paraguay and south India. He resides in Chicago. -- John Tipton's Surfaces (2004) and his translation of Sophocles' Ajax (2008) were both published by Flood Edtions. A new collection, Paramnesia, and a translation of Aeschylus' Seven Against Thebes are forthcoming from Flood.
Seven Against Thebes: Three Choral Passages: An Excerpt
Whom did gods so admire at their altars? Who more honored in assemblies than this Oedipus, who freed Thebes of the Sphinx? That sound mind lost its bearing in deviant marriage, in wrong thoughts. Such appalling acts-- gouged his eyes with his own patricidal hand. To his children he fed malignance, the bitter tang of binding curse: Take in hand what you inherit. Fast Furies will finish it.
John Tipton is the founder and director of Chicago Poetry Project. His poems have appeared in LVNG, Poetry New York, Nedge, and elsewhere. His “52 Surfaces” was published as a broadside in the LVNG Supplementals series, and Cello Entry Chapbooks published clause automata. His books Surfaces and Ajax are available from Flood Editions. He is the publisher of Verge Books and lives in Chicago.
Location: Street: Seminary Co-op Bookstore Additional: 5751 S. Woodlawn Ave. City: Chicago, Province: Illinois Postal Code: 60637 Country: United States (added from IndieBound)… (more)
Sophocles has 12 past events. (show)
|Date of birth|
|Date of death|
|Country (for map)|
|Place of death|
|Places of residence|
|Awards and honors|
Improve this author
Sophocles is currently considered a "single author." If one or more works are by a distinct, homonymous authors, go ahead and split the author.
Sophocles is composed of 23 names. You can examine and separate out names.