HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.

Library Summary

Status:
Type: Real
Size: Medium (101 - 500)

Rev. Thomas Fessenden

You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Legacy Libraries Common Knowledge help page.
Library Information
Library date
1771-11-23
Location
Library size (titles)
Library size (volumes)
Sources
Newspaper article: The Massachusetts Gazette, and the Boston Post-Boy and Advertiser, 9 December 1771, p. 3
Newspaper article: The Essex Gazette, 3-10 December 1771, p. 79
Newspaper article: The New-London Gazette, 20 December 1771, p. 2
Library notes
Article text (Massachusetts Gazette): "We hear from Walpole in the province of New-Hampshire, that on Saturday the 23d ult. the dwelling-House of the Rev'd Thomas Fessenden of that town, was consumed by fire, and though it was noon day, as they sat dining, and plenty of assistance at hand, yet his library, and the principal part of the household furniture, and their wearing apparel were utterly consumed by the flames. The loss is computed at between 3 and 400l. lawful money. It took fire by some Joiner's shaveings, carelessly left, as they went to Dinner. It is to be hoped this will be a caution to men of that craft, through want of due care in whom such calamities too often happen."
Article text: (Essex Gazette): "On Saturday the 23d Inst. the dwelling-House of the Rev'd Thomas Fessenden of Walpole, in this Province, was wholly consumed by fire, and though it was at noon Day, as they sat dining, and plenty of Assistance at Hand, yet his Library, and the principal Part of the household furniture and their wearing Apparel were utterly consumed in the Flames. The loss is computed at between 3 and 400l. Lawful Money. It took fire by some Joiner's Shaveings, carelessly left, as they went to Dinner."
Article text (New-London Gazette): "On Saturday the 23d of November, the Dwelling House of the Rev. Mr. Fessenden of Walpole, in the Province of New Hampshire, was wholly consumed by Fire, in which he lost his Library, with great part of his House Furniture and Wearing Apparel, to the amount of between 3 and 400l. Lawful Money."
Links
Provenance marks
Legacy categories
Total book value
Total inventory value
I'Contributors
Entity Information
Date of birth
1739-07-14
Date of death
1813-05-09
Gender
male
Places of residence
Education
Occupations
Legacy connections
About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,783,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible