Melvil Decimal System: 281.4
Dewmoji: 🙏🏽 > ☦ > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Christian practice and observance
Christian pastoral practice and religious orders
Christian organization, social work, worship
History of Christianity
Christian Churches and Sects
Primitive and Eastern churches
Anglican and Episcopal
Presbyterian; Reformed; Congregational
Unitarian Universalist (no longer used)
Other Christian sects
Apostolic church, to time of great schism (A.D. 1054)
Primitive apostolic, to end of first century
Ante-Nicene (A.D. 100-325)
Post-Nicene (A.D. 32-1054)
Armenian & Jacobite
Eastern or Greco-Russian or Holy orthodox church
Works under MDS 281.4
- Select Letters by Augustine
- A Companion to the Study of St. Augustine by Roy W. Battenhouse
- Dialogues of St. Gregory the Great by Gregorius de Grote
- The Immortality of the Soul; The Teacher by St. Aurelius Augustine
- Cyril of Jerusalem and Nemesius of Emesa by William Telfer
- Medieval thought; Augustine & Thomas Aquinas by Norman F. Cantor
- An Augustine synthesis by Augustine
- Theological and dogmatic works by St. Ambrose
- The Works of St. Patrick. Hymn on St. Patrick by Ludwig Bieler
- The Happy Life by Aurelius Augustinus
- Christian Instruction; Admonition and Grace; The Christian Combat; Faith, Hope and Charity by Augustine
- Treatises on various subjects: The christian life, lying, against lying, continence, patience, the excellence of widowhood, the work of monks, the usefulness of fasting, the eight questions of Dulcitius by Augustine
- The works of Saint Cyril of Jerusalem. Volume 1 by Saint Cyril of Jerusalem
- The Writings of Salvian, The Presbyter by Salvian of Marseilles
- The Light of the World; a basic image in early Christian thought by Jaroslav Pelikan
- Niceta of Remesiana: Writings by Niceta of Remesiana
- Marriage and Virginity (Works of Saint Augustine: A Translation for the 21st Century) by Augustine
- Letters by St. Leo the Great
- Iberian Fathers. Volume 1 by Claude W. Barlow
- Exegetic Homilies by Saint Basil, Bishop of Caesarea
- The Donatist Church by W. H. C. Frend
- Saint Peter Chrysologus selected sermons, and Saint Valerian homilies by Saint Peter Chrysologus
- St Photios the Great by Asterios Gerostergios
- Letters, 204-270 by St. Augustine
- Iberian fathers : volume 2 by Claude W. Barlow
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.