Melvil Decimal System: 359.00973
Dewmoji: 👫 > 👃 > ⚓ > ? > ? > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Social Sciences, Sociology, Anthropology
Public Administration, Military Science
Social Problems, Social Services
Commerce, Communications, Transportation
Customs, Etiquette, Folklore
Theory of Public Administration
General Practice of Public Administration
Specialized Fields of Public Administration
Air forces and other advanced weaponry
Navy; Naval Science
Organization of military forces
Tactics and strategy
Military equipment and supplies
Policy & Grand Strategy
Biography; History By Place
West Coast U.S.
Works under MDS 359.00973
- Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll
- If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy -From the Revolution to the War of 1812 by George C. Daughan
- To Shining Sea: A History of the United States Navy, 1775-1998 by Stephen Howarth
- The Frigates by Henry Gruppe
- The Navy by William J. Holland, Jr.
- US NAVY: An Illustrated History by Nathan Miller
- This People's Navy: The Making of American Sea Power by Kenneth J. Hagan
- On Seas of Glory: Heroic Men, Great Ships, and Epic Battles of the American Navy by John Lehman
- The United States Navy: A 200-Year History by Edward L. Beach
- The naval officer's guide by William P. Mack
- Shield of the Republic: The United States Navy in an Era of Cold War and Violent Peace 1945-1962 by Michael T. Isenberg
- U.S. Navy Alphabet Book by Sammie Garnett
- Fall From Glory: The Men Who Sank the U.S. Navy by Gregory L. Vistica
- American Naval History: An Illustrated Chronology of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, 1775-Present by Jack Sweetman
- Teddy Roosevelt's Great White Fleet by James R. Reckner
- In Peace and War: Interpretations of American Naval History, 1775-1984 (Contributions in Military Studies) by Kenneth J. Hagan
- Command of the Seas by John F. Lehman
- Keepers of the Sea by Fred J. Maroon
- The Early Republic and the Sea: Essays on the Naval and Maritime History of the Early United States by William S. Dudley
- History of the Us Navy (History of the Military) by James M. Morris
- Aircraft Carriers at War: A Personal Retrospective of Korea, Vietnam, and the Soviet Confrontation by III James L. Holloway
- Division Officer's Guide by John Vavasour Noel
- The Rise of American Naval Power, 1776-1918 by Harold Sprout
- Battle Line: The United States Navy, 1919-1939 by Thomas C. Hone
- Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, 18th Edition by Norman Polmar
- The Commodores by Leonard F. Guttridge
- A Sailor's History of the U.S. Navy by Thomas J. Cutler
- The Old Steam Navy: Frigates, Sloops, and Gunboats, 1815-1885 by Donald L. Canney
- The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, 17th Edition by Norman Polmar
- The Naval Academy illustrated history of the United States Navy by E. B. Potter
- Picture History of the U.S. Navy: From Old Navy to New, 1776-1897 by Theodore Roscoe
- History of the U.S. Navy, 1775-1941 by Robert W. Love, Jr.
- Jack Tars and Commodores: American Navy, 1735-1815 by William M. Fowler Jr.
- The Naval Institute Guide to the Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet (16th ed) by Norman Polmar
- Division Officer's Guide by James Stavridis
- An Illustrated History of the United States Navy by Chester G. Hearn
- United States Navy in the Pacific, 1909-1922 by William R. Braisted
- Millions for Defense: The Subscription Warships of 1798 by Frederick C. Leiner
- History of the Navy of the United States of America by James Fenimore Cooper
- History of the U.S. Navy, 1942-1991 (History of the U. S. Navy) by Robert W. Love, Jr.
- The Old Steam Navy: The Ironclads, 1842-1885 by Donald L. Canney
- Ships of the U.S. Navy/08913 by John G. Kirk
- How Navies Fight: The U.S. Navy and Its Allies by Frank Uhlig
- America Spreads Her Sails; U.S. Seapower in the 19th Century. by Clayton R. Barrow
- USN : Naval Operations in the 80's (Presidio Seapower Series) by Michael Skinner
- The United States Navy from the revolution to date by Francis J. Reynolds
- Black Shoes and Blue Water: Surface Warfare in the United States Navy, 1945-1975 by Malcolm Muir
- The United States Navy (Serving Your Country) by Michael Green
- U.S. Naval Developments by Jan S. Breemer
- The Great White Fleet; its voyage around the world, 1907-1909 by Robert A. Hart
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.