Melvil Decimal System: 796.0973
Dewmoji: 🎨 > ⚽ > 👟 > ? > 🔙 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Drawing; Decoration; Design
Amusements and Recreation
Public Entertainments, TV, Movies
Games Of Skill
Games Of Chance
Athletics And Sports
Water & Aerial Sports
Horsemanship and Animal Racing
Fishing; Hunting; Shooting
General Athletics And Sports
Philosophy And Psychology
Dictionaries And Encyclopedias
Education And Research
Biography And History
Other Geographic Classifications
Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Works under MDS 796.0973
- Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and the Downward Spiral of Dumbness Modern History from the Sports Desk by Hunter S. Thompson
- The Best American Sports Writing of the Century by David Halberstam
- Sports in America by James A. Michener
- ESPN SportsCentury by Michael MacCambridge
- Sports Illustrated: Fifty Years of Great Writing by Editors of * Illustrated
- The Only Game in Town: Sportswriting from The New Yorker by David Remnick
- Schoolyard Games by Bobbie Kalman
- The Jew in American Sports by Harold Uriel Ribalow
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2005 by Sports Illustrated Kids
- American Sports: From the Age of Folk Games to the Age of Televised Sports by Benjamin G. Rader
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2007 by SI for Kids
- A Brief History of American Sports by Elliott J. Gorn
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2006 by Mary Varilla Jones
- Joy of Sports, Revised: Endzones, Bases, Baskets, Balls, and the Consecration of the American Spirit by Michael Novak
- Not Till the Fat Lady Sings: The Most Dramatic Sports Finishes of All Time by Les Krantz
- Pictorial history of American sports, from colonial times to the present by John Durant
- Games We Used to Play by Roger Kahn
- Mad as Hell by Mike Lupica
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2008 by Sports Illustrated Kids
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2009 by Scholastic Inc.
- Sports in American Life: A History by Richard O. Davies
- 1941 -- The Greatest Year In Sports: Two Baseball Legends, Two Boxing Champs, and the Unstoppable Thoroughbred Who Made History in the Shadow of War by Mike Vaccaro
- Up Close and in Your Face With the Greats, Near-Greats, and Ingrates of Sports by Roy Firestone
- Sports Illustrated for Kids Year in Sports 2004 by and Illustrated for Kids Scholastic, and SI for Kids
- Farewell to Sport by Paul Gallico
- Two Hundred Years of Sport in America by Wells Twombly
- Interference: How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football by Dan E. Moldea
- The Great American Sports Book by George Gipe
- Nobody asked me, but: The world of Jimmy Cannon by Jimmy Cannon
- Rules of the Game: The Best Sports Writing from Harper's Magazine (American Retrospective) by Matthew Stevenson
- Bigger Than the Game: Bo, Boz, the Punky QB, and How the '80s Created the Modern Athlete by Michael Weinreb
- The Illustrated Sports Record Book: Third Edition (Signet) by Zander Hollander
- A Century of Sports (Our American Century)
- Fathers & Sons & Sports: Great Writing by Buzz Bissinger, John Ed Bradley, Bill Geist, Donald Hall, Mark Kriegel, Norman Maclean, and others by Mike Lupica
- Seasons to Remember: The Way It Was in American Sports, 1945-1960 by Curt Gowdy
- A Whole New Ball Game: An Interpretation of American Sports by Allen Guttmann
- The American Sporting Scene by John Kieran
- Sports Classics: American Writers Choose Their Best by Howard Siner
- The Rise and Fall of American Sport: Mudville's Revenge (Bison Book) by Ted Vincent
- The 100 Sporting Events You Must See Live: An Insider’s Guide to Creating the Sports Experience of a Lifetime by Robert Tuchman
- The Renegade Sportsman: Drunken Runners, Bike Polo Superstars, Roller Derby Rebels, Killer Birds and Other Uncommon Thrills on the Wild Frontier of Sports by Zach Dundas
- Playing the Field: Why Sports Teams Move and Cities Fight to Keep Them by Charles C. Euchner
- Kiss 'Em Goodbye: An ESPN Treasury of Failed, Forgotten, and Departed Teams by Dennis Purdy
- Spoiled Sport: A Fan's Notes on the Troubles of Spectator Sports by John Underwood
- Great Moments in American Sports by Jerry Brondfield
- Fathers & Daughters & Sports: Featuring Jim Craig, Chris Evert, Mike Golic, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Sally Jenkins, Steve Rushin, Bill Simmons, and others by ESPN
- The Babe in Boyland by Fabulous Sports Babe
- Sports in America: Recreaction, Business, Education and Controversy by Robert Jacobson
- American Sports, 1970: Or How We Spent the War in Vietnam by Tod Papageorge
- Sportsworld: An American Dreamland by Robert Lipsyte
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.