Melvil Decimal System: 917.504
Dewmoji: 🗿 > ⚓ > 🌽 > 🌴 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Geography and Travels
Maps and Atlases
Ancient World -- Antiquties And Archaeology
Pacific and Polar Regions
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
District Of Columbia
Works under MDS 917.504
- Frommer's Complete Guide: The Carolinas & Georgia by Darwin Porter
- Off-Season: Discovering America on Winter's Shore by Ken McAlpine
- Fodor's Virginia and Maryland by Fodor's
- Coastal Southeast: Mobil Travel Guide by Mobil Travel Guide
- Fodor's the South by Fodor's
- Floyd's American Pie by Keith Floyd
- The Coast: A Journey Down the Atlantic Shore by Joseph Jacobs Thorndike
- William Bartram and the American Revolution on the Southern Frontier by Edward J. Cashin
- Away for the Weekend: Mid-Atlantic (Away for the Weekend, Mid-Atlantic) by Eleanor Berman
- Ice Tea And Elvis by Nick Middleton
- Rails-to-Trails Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia (Rails-to-Trails Series) by Barbara Noe
- Black Heritage Sites: The South by Nancy C. Curtis
- An Outdoor Guide to Bartram's Travels by Charles D. Spornick
- National Geographic Guide to America's Outdoors: Southeast by John Thompson
- Hikes in the Southern Appalachians by Doris Gove
- States of mind by Jonathan Yardley
- Away For The Weekend (r): Southeast Great Getaways: for Every Season of the Year in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, So by Eleanor Berman
- A Visitor's Guide to the Colonial & Revolutionary South: Includes Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi by Patricia Foulke
- Lonely Planet Deep South: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama by Kap Stann
- Romantic Weekend Getaways: The Mid-Atlantic States by Larry Fox
- Traveling the Southern Highlands: A Complete Guide to the Mountains of Western North Carolina, East Tennessee, Northeast Georgia, and Southwest Virginia by Cathy Summerlin
- Rail-Trails Southeast: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North and South Carolina, Tennessee by Rails-to-Trails-Conservancy
- Backroads & Byways of Virginia: Drives, Day Trips & Weekend Excursions (Backroads & Byways) by Bill Lohmann
- National Geographic Guide to 100 Easy Hikes: Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware (National Geographic 100 Easy Hikes) by Barbara A. Noe
- Bicycling Through Civil War History: In Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia by Kurt B. Detwiler
- Bob Vila's Guide to Historic Homes of the South (Bob Vila's Guides to Historic Homes of America) by Bob Vila
- Great Family Vacations South by Candyce H. Stapen
- Southern National Forests (National Forests of America Series) by Sharyn Kane
- Wisconsin Travel Companion: A Unique Guide to the History Along Wisconsin Highways by Richard Olsenius
- The official Rails-to-Trails Conservancy guidebook. Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia by Barbara A. Noe
- The South by J. T. Trowbridge
- The South Revisited: Forty Years of Change (Touring North America) by Sam Bowers Hilliard
- Insight Guides Old South by Insight Guides
- A Literary Tour Guide to the United States: South and Southwest by Rita Stein
- Insiders' Guide® to Civil War Sites in the South (Insiders' Guide Series) by laneshannon
- Discovering Dixie Along the Magnolia Trail: The Day by Day Travel Guide to the Best of the Deep South (Adventure Roads Travel) by Richard Polese
- A History Lover's Guide to Wilmington & The Lower Cape Fear by Jack E. Fryar
- State Parks of the South: America's Historic Paradise: A Guide to Camping, Fishing, Hiking, & Sightseeing by Vici Dehaan
- Plantations and Outdoor Museums in America's Historic South by Gerald Lee Gutek
- Fodor's Essential South, 1st Edition: With the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee, the Gulf Coast & Other Top Spots in 10 States (Travel Guide) by Fodor's
- Dixie (Discover Historic America) by Sara Pitzer
- Appalachian Travels: The Diary of Olive Dame Campbell by Olive Dame Campbell
- From Azaleas to Zydeco: My 4,600-Mile Journey through the South by Mark W. Nichols
- Away for the weekend, Washington, D.C. : 52 great getaways in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey by Eleanor Berman
- Virginia State Map by ADC
- Backroads from the Beltway: Your Guide to the Mid-Atlantic's Most Scenic Backroad Adventures (Backroads of ...) by Pat Blackley
- Southeast Getaway Guide by Rand McNally
- Country Towns of Maryland and Delaware by Judy Colbert
- Frommer's EasyGuide to Charleston, Savannah and St. Augustine (Easy Guides) by Stephen Keeling
- Fodor's The South, 27th Edition: The Guide for All Budgets, Where to Stay, Eat, and Explore On and Off the Beaten Path (Fodor's Gold Guides) by Fodor's
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.