Melvil Decimal System: 917.704
Dewmoji: 🗿 > ⚓ > 🌽 > 🌽 > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Geography and Travels
Maps and Atlases
Ancient World -- Antiquties And Archaeology
Pacific and Polar Regions
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Works under MDS 917.704
- Old Glory : A Voyage Down the Mississippi by Jonathan Raban
- Mississippi Solo: A River Quest by Eddy Harris
- The Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Great Lakes States by Suzanne Winckler
- Summer on the Lakes, in 1843 by Margaret Fuller
- National Geographic's Driving Guides to America: The Heartland by National Geographic
- A Journey to the Northern Ocean: Samuel Hearne (Classics West) by Samuel Hearne
- The Fourth Coast: Exploring the Great Lakes Coastline by Mary Blocksma
- The Third Coast: Sailors, Strippers, Fishermen, Folksingers, Long-Haired Ojibway Painters, and God-Save-the-Queen Monarchists of the Great Lakes by Ted McClelland
- National Geographic's Driving Guides to America: Great Lakes by National Geographic
- Afloat on the Ohio ; an historical pilgrimage of a thousand miles in a skiff, from Redstone to Cairo by Reuben Gold Thwaites
- Five fur traders of the Northwest : being the narrative of Peter Pond and the diaries of John Macdonell, Archibald N. McLeod, Hugh Faries, and Thomas Connor by Charles M. Gates
- Father Louis Hennepin's Description of Louisiana by Louis Hennepin
- Discover! : America's Great River Road : Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois by Pat Middleton
- Oddball Iowa: A Guide to Some Really Strange Places (Oddball series) by Jerome Pohlen
- The Windward Shore: A Winter on the Great Lakes by Jerry Dennis
- The LDS Family Travel Guide: Independence, Nauvoo and Winter Quarters by Becky Cardon Smith
- National Geographic Guide to America's Outdoors: Great Lakes by Tina Lassen
- Around the Bend: A Mississippi River Adventure by C. C. Lockwood
- Shantyboat Journal by Harlan Hubbard
- Parklands of the Midwest: Celebrating the Natural Wonders of America's Heartland by Dan Kaercher
- Old Man River and Me: One Man's Journey Down the Mighty Mississippi by Mark Knudsen
- Zebulon Pike (World's Great Explorers) by Susan Sinnott
- Two on the River by Wil Haygood
- Lake Superior Shipwrecks by Jr. Julius F. Wolff
- Fodor's Upper Great Lakes Region 1991 by Fodor's
- The traveler's guide to Native America. The Great Lakes Region by Hayward Allen
- A journey through the West : Thomas Rodney's 1803 journal from Delaware to the Mississippi Territory by Thomas Rodney
- The Journals of Jonathan Carver and Related Documents, 1766-1770 (Publications of the Minnesota Historical Society) by Jonathan Carver
- State Parks of the Midwest: America's Heartland : A Guide to Camping, Fishing, Hiking & Sightseeing by Vici Dehaan
- Down the Mississippi With Stinky: 2 Women, a Canoe, and a Kitten (Wisconsin) by Dorie Brunner
- Mississippi River by Rebecca Pittman
- Many a Midnight Ship: True Stories of Great Lakes Shipwrecks by Mark Bourrie
- Life on the Great Lakes: A Wheelsman's Story (Great Lakes Books) by Fred W. Dutton
- Mississippi River Getaways: All New (Midwest Living) by Midwest Living Magazine
- Julius F. Wolff Jr.'s Lake Superior shipwrecks by Julius Frederic Wolff
- Zebulon Pike: Soldier and Explorer (Let Freedom Ring: Exploring the West Biographies) by Barbara Witteman
- The Great Lakes Guide to Sunken Ships by Karl E. Heden
- Heartland: The Plains and the Prairie by David Plowden
- 2 To 22 Days Around the Great Lakes: The Itinerary Planner 1994 (2-22 Days) by Arnold Schuchter
- The Mississippi River by Ann McCarthy
- Fodor's Road Guide USA: Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota by Fodor's
- Illinois Historical Tour Guide (Crossroads Book) by D. Ray Wilson
- Ohio River Images: Cincinnati to Louisville in the Packet Boat Era by Russell G. Ryle
- The Mighty Mississippi a Traveler's Guide (Mighty Mississippi) by Lori Erickson
- Visiting the Midwest's historic preservation sites by Marjory Grannis
- 75 Great Small-Town Getaways: Inviting Stops Along the Way from the Editors of Midwest Living Magazine by Meredith Corp
- Zebulon Pike: Soldier-Explorer of the American Southwest (Famous Explorers of the American West) by Charles W. Maynard
- Shipwreck Tales of the Great Lakes by Cris Kohl
- Twain, Plains & Automobile by Joanne Y. Cleaver
- Mostly Mississippi, by Harold Speakman
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.