Melvil Decimal System: 949.507
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🏰 > ? > ? > ? > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
British Isles -- Scotland And Ireland
England And Wales
Germany And Central Europe
France And Monaco
Russia and Eastern Europe [also, more Finland]
Iceland; Faroe Islands
Belgium And Luxembourg
Greece and the Byzantine Empire
Turkey and the Balkans
Former Yugoslavia (Bosnia and Herzegovina ∙ Croatia ∙ Kosovo ∙ Montenegro ∙ Macedonia ∙ Serbia ∙ Slovenia) [formerly also Bulgaria]
Bulgaria (formerly Aegean islands)
Greek revivial 323-716
Byzantine Empire ; Byzantine prosperity, 717-1081
Byzantine decline 1057-1204
Greek survival 1204-1453
Turkish power 1453-1821
Greek independence 1821-
Works under MDS 949.507
- Eleni by Nicholas Gage
- Paradise Lost, Smyrna 1922: The Destruction of Islam's City of Tolerance by Giles Milton
- Alice : Princess Andrew of Greece by Hugo Vickers
- A Place for Us: A Greek Immigrant Boy's Odyssey to a New Country and an Unknown Father by Nicholas Gage
- It's All Greek to Me!: A Tale of a Mad Dog and an Englishman, Ruins, Retsina--and Real Greeks by John Mole
- Twice a Stranger: The Mass Expulsions that Forged Modern Greece and Turkey by Bruce Clark
- The Flight of Ikaros by Kevin Andrews
- The Most Beautiful Villages of Greece by Mark Ottaway
- The Full Catastrophe: Travels Among the New Greek Ruins by James Angelos
- The Olive Grove: Travels in Greece by Katherine Kizilos
- Blue Skies and Black Olives: A Survivor's Tale of Housebuilding and Peacock Chasing in Greece by John Humphrys
- After the War Was Over: Reconstructing the Family, Nation, and State in Greece, 1943-1960 by Mark Mazower
- Greece: The Modern Sequel by John S. Koliopoulos
- Red Acropolis, Black Terror: The Greek Civil War and the Origins of Soviet-American Rivalry, 1943-1949 by Andre Gerolymatos
- Ionian Vision: Greece in Asia Minor, 1919-22 by Michael Llewellyn Smith
- Greece, A Love Story: Women Write about the Greek Experience (Seal Women's Travel) by Camille Cusumano
- Falling in Honey: How a Tiny Greek Island Stole My Heart by Jennifer Barclay
- The Greek tragedy (A Penguin special) by Constantine Tsoucalas
- Armies of the Greek-Turkish War 1919-22 (Men-at-Arms) by Philip Jowett
- To Hellas & Back - My Modern Day Greek Tragedy by Lana Penrose
- Catastrophies and Triumphs: The 7 circles of modern Greek History by stathis kalyvas
- Modern Greece: A History since 1821 by John S. Koliopoulos
- Dream Nation: Enlightenment, Colonization and the Institution of Modern Greece by Stathis Gourgouris
- Modern Greece (Brief Histories) by Thomas W. Gallant
- Greece the Land (Lands, Peoples & Cultures) by Sierra Adare
- Crossing the Aegean: An Appraisal of the 1923 Compulsory Population Exchange between Greece and Turkey (Studies in Forced Migration) by Renee Hirschon
- Heiress: The Story of Christina Onassis by Nigel Dempster
- Inside the colonels' Greece by 'Athenian.'
- We're From Greece (Heinemann First Library: We're From) by Vic Parker
- A measure of understanding by Königin Friederike von Griechenland
- North of Ithaka: Rebuilding a Life in Greece by Eleni Gage
- Children of the Greek Civil War: Refugees and the Politics of Memory by Loring M. Danforth
- Dangerous Citizens: The Greek Left and the Terror of the State by Neni Panourgiá
- The Metaxas Myth: Dictatorship and Propaganda in Greece (International Library of War Studies) by Marina Petrakis
- Greece since 1945: Politics, Economy and Society (The Postwar World) by David H. Close
- Greece by Irene Fragiadaki
- The Great Extirpation of Hellenism & Christianity In Asia Minor by John Murat
- Eleftherios Venizelos: Greece: The Peace Conferences of 1919-23 and their Aftermath (Makers of the Modern World) by Andrew Dalby
- Εμφύλια πάθη. 23 ερωτήσεις και απαντήσεις για τον Εμφύλιο by Nikos A. Marantzidis Στάθης Ν. Καλύβας Kalyvas, Νίκος Α. Μαραντζίδης Stathis N.
- The struggle for Greece, 1941-1949 by C. M. Woodhouse
- Επτά Πόλεμοι, Τέσσερεις Εμφύλιοι, Επτά Πτωχεύσεις. 1821-2016 by Δερτιλής Γ. Β. Dertilis G. V.
- International Intervention in the Greek Civil War: The United Nations Special Committee on the Balkans, 1947-1952 by Amikam Nachmani
- Greece, the Decade at War: Occupation, Resistance and Civil War by David Brewer
- Nightmare in Athens by Margarita Papandreou
- A Greek Experience, 1943-48 by Nigel Clive
- Im Lichte des Helios : Griechenland in frühen Photographien aus der Sammlung Siegert : [Schack-Galerie, München, 11. November 1999 bis 20. Februar 2000] by Dorothea Ritter
- The Greek Paradox: Promise Vs. Performance (BCSIA Studies in International Security) by Graham Allison
- Genres of Recollection: Archival Poetics and Modern Greece (Anthropology, History and the Critical Imagination) by Penelope Papailias
- Take a Trip to Greece (Take a Trip to Series) by Keith Lye
- Memories of a Mountain War: Greece, 1944-49 by Kenneth Matthews
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.