Melvil Decimal System: 973.8
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🇺🇸 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Early history to 1607
Colonial period (1607-1775)
Revolution and confederation (1775-89)
Washington Through Jefferson Administrations
Madison Through Tyler Administrations
Polk Through Buchanan Administrations
Johnson Through McKinley Administrations
Roosevelt Administration And Beyond
Grover Cleveland (4 Mar. 1855-4 Mar. 1889)
Benjamin Harrison (4 Mar. 1889-4 Mar. 1893)
Grover Cleveland, second term (4 Mar. 1893-4 Mar. 1897)
William McKinley (4 Mar. 1897-14 Sep. 1901)
Works under MDS 973.8
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass
- Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Medicine, Madness and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard
- The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant by Ulysses S. Grant
- Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877 by Eric Foner
- The Last Stand : Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn by Nathaniel Philbrick
- Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell
- Ulysses S. Grant : Memoirs and Selected Letters : Personal Memoirs of U.S. Grant / Selected Letters, 1839-1865 by Ulysses S. Grant
- Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors by Stephen E. Ambrose
- My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass
- A Short History of Reconstruction by Eric Foner
- Grant by Ron Chernow
- An Age of Extremes by Joy Hakim
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave, Written by Himself (Bedford Series in History and Culture) by Frederick Douglass
- Grant by Jean Edward Smith
- The Rough Riders by Theodore Roosevelt
- Reconstruction and Reform by Joy Hakim
- Frederick Douglass : Autobiographies : Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave / My Bondage and My Freedom / Life and Times of Frederick Douglass (Library of America) by Frederick Douglass
- Bold Spirit: Helga Estby's Forgotten Walk Across Victorian America by Linda Lawrence Hunt
- The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800s by Marc McCutcheon
- A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn - the Last Great Battle of the American West by James Donovan
- Black Reconstruction in America, 1860-1880 by W. E. Burghardt Du Bois
- Frederick Douglass Fights For Freedom by Margaret Davidson
- The Search for Order, 1877-1920 by Robert H. Wiebe
- The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire at the Dawn of the American Century by Scott Miller
- Geronimo: His Own Story: The Autobiography of a Great Patriot Warrior by Geronimo
- The War Lovers: Roosevelt, Lodge, Hearst, and the Rush to Empire, 1898 by Evan Thomas
- Killing Custer: The Battle of the Little Bighorn and the Fate of the Plains Indians by James Welch
- Victorian America: Transformations in Everyday Life, 1876-1915 by Thomas J. Schlereth
- The Era of Reconstruction, 1865-1877 by Kenneth M. Stampp
- The Incorporation of America: Culture and Society in the Gilded Age by Alan Trachtenberg
- American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant by Ronald C. White
- Dreaming of America: An Ellis Island Story by Eve Bunting
- Lee: The Last Years by Charles Bracelen Flood
- Frontier Regulars: The United States Army and the Indian, 1866-1891 by Robert M. Utley
- Theodore Roosevelt: The Rough Riders/An Autobiography (Library of America) by Theodore Roosevelt
- Custer's Last Stand by Quentin Reynolds
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave & Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl (Modern Library Classics) by Frederick Douglass
- No Place of Grace: Antimodernism and the Transformation of American Culture, 1880-1920 by T. J. Jackson Lears
- Sears, Roebuck & Co. Consumers Guide 1897 by Sears Roebuck and Co.
- In the Days of McKinley by Margaret Leech
- My Life on the Plains by George Armstrong Custer
- First great triumph : how five Americans made their country a world power by Warren Zimmermann
- The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Vilifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth by Matthew Algeo
- Custer's Trials: A Life on the Frontier of a New America by T. J. Stiles
- Ulysses S. Grant: The Unlikely Hero by Michael Korda
- Impeached: The Trial of President Andrew Johnson and the Fight for Lincoln's Legacy by David O. Stewart
- The Bloody Shirt: Terror After Appomattox by Stephen Budiansky
- Standing at Armageddon: The United States, 1877-1919 by Nell Irvin Painter
- The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn: A Lakota History by Joseph M. Marshall Iii
- Forever Free: The Story of Emancipation and Reconstruction by Eric Foner
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.