Melvil Decimal System: 974.46
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🗽 > 🐟 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
Franklin; Hampshire; Hampden
Suffolk; Boston (city)
Barnstable; Dukes; Nantucket
Works under MDS 974.46
- All Souls: A Family Story from Southie by Michael Patrick MacDonald
- Dead Certainties : Unwarranted Speculations by Simon Schama
- Boston: A Topographical History by Walter Muir Whitehill
- Witches, Rakes, and Rogues: True Stories of Scam, Scandal, Murder, and Mayhem in Boston, 1630-1775 by D. Brenton Simons
- Journey Around Boston From A to Z (Journeys) by Martha Zschock
- A Short History of Boston by Robert J. Alison
- Winthrop's Boston: Portrait of a Puritan Town, 1630-1649 (Norton Library) by Darrett Bruce Rutman
- Boston Then and Now by Elizabeth McNulty
- Fire & Roses: The Burning of the Charlestown Convent, 1834 by Nancy Lusignan Schultz
- Boston Freedom Trail by Steve Dunwell
- The Soiling of Old Glory: The Story of a Photograph That Shocked America by Louis P. Masur
- Diary of Anna Green Winslow by Anna Green Winslow
- A City So Grand: The Rise of an American Metropolis, Boston 1850-1900 by Stephen Puleo
- Boston Ways: High, By, and Folk by George F. Weston
- Eden on the Charles: The Making of Boston by Michael Rawson
- Boston Then and Now: 59 Boston Sites Photographed in the Past and Present by Peter Vanderwarker
- Boston and the American Revolution: Boston National Historical Park, Massachusetts by S/N 024-005-01188-9
- Old Boston in Early Photographs, 1850-1918: 174 Prints from the Collection of the Bostonian Society by Philip Bergen
- Boston A to Z by Thomas H. O'Connor
- The North Shore: A Social History of Summers Among the Noteworthy, Fashionable, Rich, Eccentric, and Ordinary on Boston's Gold Coast, 1823-1929 by Joseph E. Garland
- The Boston Italians: A Story of Pride, Perseverance, and Paesani, from the Years of the Great Immigration to the Present Day by Stephen Puleo
- Looking for Mr. Gilbert: The Reimagined Life of an African American by John Hanson Mitchell
- Always Something Doing: Boston's Infamous Scollay Square by David Kruh
- When in Boston: A Time Line & Almanac by Jim Vrabel
- After the Siege: A Social History of Boston, 1775-1800 by Jacqueline Barbara Carr
- South Boston, My Home Town: The History of an Ethnic Neighborhood by Thomas H. O'Connor
- Charlestown (MA) (Images of America) by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco
- Irish Boston: A Lively Look at Boston's Colorful Irish Past, Including Museums, Historic Sites, Pubs, Music, Dancing, an by Michael P. Quinlin
- Boston by Henry Cabot Lodge
- The Cocoanut Grove Fire (New England Remembers) by Stephanie Schorow
- Boston (Cities of the World) by Deborah Kent
- Growing up in Boston's Gilded Age: The Journal of Alice Stone Blackwell, 1872-1874 by Marlene Deahl Merrill
- More Than Common Powers of Perception: The Diary of Elizabeth Rogers Mason Cabot by Elizabeth Rogers Mason Cabot
- Boston's West End (MA) (Images of America) by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco
- Boston Then and Now (Compact) (Then & Now Thunder Bay) by Patrick L. Kennedy
- Cocoanut Grove by Edward Keyes
- Boston Curiosities: A History of Beantown Barons, Molasses Mayhem, Polemic Patriots & the Fluff in Between by Ted Clarke
- Boston Rediscovered by Ulrike Welsch
- Boston: A Pictorial Souvenir by Carol Highsmith
- City in Time: Boston by Jeffrey Hantover
- Boston: A Century of Progress (MA) (Images of America) by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco
- Memoir of James Jackson, The Attentive and Obedient Scholar, Who Died in Boston, October 31, 1833, Aged Six Years and Eleven Months, By His Teacher by Susan Paul
- Vital records of Charlestown, Massachusetts, to the year 1850 by Roger D. Joslyn
- Extraordinary Boston by Steve Dunwell
- Beacon Hill: The Life and Times of a Neighborhood by Moying Li-Marcus
- Life in Colonial Boston (Picture the Past) by Jennifer Blizin Gillis
- Boston's Back Bay in the Victorian Era by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco
- The Magic of the Many: Josiah Quincy and the Rise of Mass Politics in Boston, 1800-1830 by Matthew H. Crocker
- Boston's Immigrants: 1840 - 1925 (MA) (Images of America) by Anthony Mitchell Sammarco
- Catie Copley by Deborah Kovacs
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.