Melvil Decimal System: 974.73
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🗽 > 🗽 > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
New York (city)
Vicinity of New York City
Middle east counties
North central counties
South central counties
West central counties
Orange, West Point
Works under MDS 974.73
- It Takes a Village Idiot : A Memoir of Life After the City by Jim Mullen
- The Hudson: A History by Tom Lewis
- River of Dreams: The Story of the Hudson River by Hudson Talbott
- A Family Place: A Hudson Family Farm, Three Centuries, Five Wars, One Family by Leila Philip
- Dutch New York: The Roots of Hudson Valley Culture by Roger Panetta
- Hudson Valley Ruins: Forgotten Landmarks of an American Landscape by Thomas Rinaldi
- The Catskills: From Wilderness to Woodstock by Alf Evers
- A Summer World: The Attempt to Build a Jewish Eden in the Catskills, from the Days of the Ghetto to the Rise and Decline of the Borscht Belt by Stefan Kanfer
- Historic Houses of the Hudson River Valley by Gregory Long
- Settlers of the Beekman Patent, Dutchess County, New York : an historical and genealogical study of all the 18th century settlers in the patent by Frank J. Doherty
- It Happened in the Catskills: An Oral History in the Words of Busboys, Bellhops, Guests, Proprietors, Comedians, Agents, and Others Who Lived It by Myrna Katz Frommer
- The Great Estates Region of the Hudson River Valley by McKelden Smith
- In the Catskills by Phil Brown
- An American Aristocracy: The Livingstons by Clare Brandt
- Hudson Valley Tales and Trails by Patricia Edwards Clyne
- The Hudson, from the wilderness to the sea by Benson John Lossing
- Up River: Man-Made Sites of Interest on the Hudson from the Battery to Troy (The Center for Land Use Interpretation American Regional Landscape Series) by Center for Land Use Interpretation
- Vanderbilt Mansion by Richard Cheek
- Hudson-Mohawk Gateway: An Illustrated History by Thomas Phelan
- The Hudson Through the Years by Arthur G. Adams
- Columbia Rising: Civil Life on the Upper Hudson from the Revolution to the Age of Jackson by John L. Brooke
- The Hudson River (Watts Library) by Melissa Whitcraft
- Putnam County by Guy Cheli
- Diamond Street: The Story of the Little Town With the Big Red Light District by Bruce Edward Hall
- The Hudson: America's River by Frances F. Dunwell
- Woodstock: History of an American Town by Alf Evers
- A history of the Minisink region; which includes the present towns of Minisink, Deerpark, Mount Hope, Greenville and Wawayanda, in Orange County, New ... history of the first settlement of the county by Charles E. Stickney
- A Place in History: Albany in the Age of Revolution, 1775-1825 (Excelsior Editions) by Warren Roberts
- Chronicles of the Hudson: Three Centuries of Travel and Adventure by Roland Van Zandt
- Kingston: City on the Hudson by Alf Evers
- Hudson Valley Voyage by Reed Sparling
- The Eagle's history of Poughkeepsie: From the earliest settlements, 1683 to 1905 by Edmund Platt
- The Hudson River: A Great American Treasure by Scenic Hudson
- Poughkeepsie: Halfway Up The Hudson by Joyce C. Ghee
- Main Street to Mainframes: Landscape and Social Change in Poughkeepsie (An American Region: Studies in the Hudson Valley) by Harvey K. Flad
- Hudson Valley Faces and Places by Patricia Edwards Clyne
- Hudson: The Story of a River by Thomas Locker
- Kaaterskill Clove: Where Nature Met Art by Raymond Beecher
- The history of the town of Marlborough, Ulster County, New York: from the first settlement in 1712, by Capt. Wm. Bond, to 1887 by Charles H. Cochrane
- Poughkeepsie 1898-1998 by Joyce C. Ghee
- Hudson's Merchants and Whalers: The Rise and Fall of a River Port, 1783-1850 by Margaret B. Schram
- Kaaterskill: From the Catskill Mountain House to the Hudson River School by Mountain Top Historical Society
- Woodstock History And Hearsay by Anita M. Smith
- An outline history of Orange County, New York by Samuel Watkins Eager
- Lost Towns of the Hudson Valley by Wesley Gottlock
- Rondout: A Hudson River Port by Bob Steuding
- The Hudson River by Ian Wood
- West Through the Catskills: The Story of the Susquehanna Turnpike by Dorothy Kubik
- History of Putnam County, New York by William S. Pelletreau
- Retrospect: An Anecdotal History of Sullivan County, New York by John Conway
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.