Melvil Decimal System: 975.55
Dewmoji: 🗿 > 🌽 > 🌴 > ♍ > ?
Philosophy and Psychology
Mathematics and Science
Arts and Recreation
Biography and History
Geography, Voyages And Travel
Mexico, Central America, And The Caribbean
South Central U.S.
West Coast U.S.
District Of Columbia
Works under MDS 975.55
- The Fires of Jubilee: Nat Turner's Fierce Rebellion by Stephen B. Oates
- Nat Turner: A Slave Rebellion in History and Memory by Kenneth S. Greenberg
- Nat Turner (Black Americans of Achievement) by Terry Bisson
- The Great Dismal: A Carolinian's Swamp Memoir by Bland Simpson
- The Rebellious Slave: Nat Turner in American Memory by Scot French
- Norfolk: The First Four Centuries by Thomas C. Parramore
- Nat Turner: Revolution by Kyle Baker
- Colonial Surry by John B. Boddie
- Norfolk: historic southern port by Thomas J. Wertenbaker
- Princess Anne County and Virginia Beach: A Pictorial History by Stephen S. Mansfield
- CHESTERFIELD AN OLD VIRGINIA COUNTY by Francis Earle Lutz
- The Southampton Slave Revolt of 1831: A Compilation of Source Material, Including the Full Text of The Confessions of Nat Turner by Henry Irving Tragle
- Nat Turner by Eric Foner
- The Elizabeth River by Amy Waters Yarsinske
- Nat Turner's Slave Rebellion in American History by Judith Edwards
- Midlothian: Highlights of its history by Bettie Woodson Weaver
- The Nat Turner slave insurrection, by F. Roy Johnson
- Wills and Administrations of Southampton County, Virginia, 1749-1800 by Blanche Adams Chapman
- Southampton and Franklin County: A Pictorial History by Daniel T. Balfour
- Bacon's Castle, Surry County, Virginia: APVA - Preservation Virginia by Catherine Dean
- Nat Turner: Rebellious Slave (Let Freedom Ring: The New Nation Biographies) by Susan R. Gregson
- Jamestown Colony by Carter Smith
- Historic Photos of the Siege of Petersburg (Historic Photos.) by John Salmon
- Ghent: John Graham's Dream, Norfolk, Virginia's Treasure by Amy Waters Yarsinske
- Old Southampton: Politics and Society in a Virginia County, 1834-1869 by Daniel W. Crofts
- History of Surry county, or, Annals of northwest North Carolina by Jesse Gentry Hollingsworth
- Nat Turner: Cry Freedom in America by James T. Baker
- Nat Turner and the Southampton Revolt of 1831 (Impact Biographies) by Martin S. Goldman
- A History of Chesapeake, Virginia by Raymond L. Harper
- South Norfolk, Virginia, 1661 - 2005: A Definitive History, Vol. 2 by Raymond Harper
- From the Beach to the Bay: An Illustrated History of Sandbridge in Virginia by Chris Jennings
- Nat Turner and the Virginia Slave Revolt (The African American Library: Journey to Freedom) by Rivvy Neshama
- Suffolk: A Pictorial History by Kermit Hobbs
- Lost Virginia Beach by Amy Waters Yarsinske
- ISLE OF WIGHT COUNTY, 1608-2007 by Doris Gwaltney
- The Norwegian Lady and the Wreck of the Dictator by William O. Foss
- The story of old Petersburg and southside Virginia by Petersburg J.T. Morriss & son, Va
- The Order Book and Related Papers of the Common Hall of the Borough of Norfolk, Virginia, 1736-1798 by Brent Tarter
- Norfolk through time by Amy Waters Yarsinske
- Tidewater Virginia: A Photographic Portrait by Jake McGuire
- South Norfolk Virginia vol. III by Raymond L. Harper
- From the Beach to the Bay ~ An Illustrated History of Sandbridge in Virginia by Christine Jennings
- Princess Anne County loose papers, 1700-1789 by John Harvie Creecy
- The colonial vestry book of Lynnhaven Parish, Princess Anne County, Virginia, 1723-1786 by Lynnhaven Parish.
- Dinwiddie County, Virginia heritage, 1752-2006
- Chesterfield County Chronicles: Stories from the James to the Appomattox by Diane C. Dallmeyer
- Tidewater Virginia: A Picture Book to Remember Her By by Crescent Books
MDS classes with significant recommendations overlap, excluding ones under the same top-level class.
What is MDS?
Melvil stands for "Melvil Decimal System," named after Melvil Dewey, the famous librarian. Melvil Dewey invented his Dewey Decimal System in 1876, and early versions of his system are in the public domain.
More recent editions of his system are in copyright, and the name "Dewey," "Dewey Decimal," "Dewey Decimal Classification" and "DDC" are registered trademarked by OCLC, who publish periodic revisions.
LibraryThing's MDS system is based on the classification work of libraries around the world, whose assignments are not copyrightable. MDS "scheduldes" (the words that describe the numbers) are user-added, and based on public domain editions of the system.
The Melvil Decimal System is NOT the Dewey Decimal System of today. Wordings, which are entered by members, can only come from public domain sources. The base system is the Free Decimal System, a public domain classification created by John Mark Ockerbloom. Where useful or necessary, wording comes from the 1922 edition of the Dewey Decimal System. Language and concepts may be changed to fit modern tastes, or to better describe books cataloged. Wordings may not come from in-copyright sources.