CollectionsYour library (2,968), Currently reading (3), To read (89), Favorites (21), All collections (2,968)
Tagsto-read (1,874), read (1,103), reality-check (797), translated (656), 3-star (534), young-adult (521), 1001-06-12 (432), non-fiction (412), 4-star (350), 1000-guardian (286) — see all tags
MediaNot set (5), Book (2,963), Paper Book (2,910), Audiobook (5), Ebook (10)
Cloudstag cloud, author cloud, tag mirror
About meIf (some)one's shelves contain only white male-authored books: nope.
1. The following words/phrases are not valid reasons for not liking a book/review: feminist, hysterical, unreadable, turgid, overwritten, pretentious, too clever, too smart, trying too hard, egotistical, overintellectual indulgence, narcissistic literary masturbation, polemical, obscene, prosaic, doesn't write for the reader, no likeable characters, too hard, too long, blah, blah, blah. If you can't handle the Truth, go back to your Entertainment.
2. My reviews are more thought/writing experiments than anything else. You have been warned.
3. I won't consider myself acceptably well-read until books by male authors is less than half my total read. (# left to read: 344)
4. I have a semi-defined goal of reading at least one book from every Nobel Prize winner; semi-defined because I'm content with with keeping track of the ones I've read/plan to read. The same goes for the 1001 BBYD/1000 Guardian lists, but I'm just keeping track of the bulk amount for those. (Nobel: 24/110; BBYD: 211/1305; Guar: 175/1000)
5. To people who say that there's no point to reading translations because some inherent meaning and original language quirks are lost: there's also no point in reading books published long ago. The past is a foreign country, and thinking that you can understand it because it's written about in your language is a conceited and misguided sentiment. So have fun with your monoculture one lifetime sentiments. I'll be out educating myself beyond the restrictions of what my existence is defined by.
6. To reviewers who fatten themselves on negative reviews containing not the slightest hint of critical analysis or thoughtful reasoning: get out.
Groups1001 Books to read before you die, Dalkey Archive, Girlybooks, I became a fabulous opera, In Translation, New York Review Books, Orange January/July, Persephone Readers, Reading Globally, Refugees —show all groups, Tropic of Ideas, Virago Modern Classics
Favorite authorsPearl S. Buck, Jacqueline Carey, Victor Hugo, Aldous Huxley, Kazuo Ishiguro, Gregory Maguire, Thomas Mann, Gabriel García Márquez, W. Somerset Maugham, Thomas Pynchon, J. R. R. Tolkien, William T. Vollmann, David Foster Wallace, Virginia Woolf (Shared favorites)
VenuesFavorites | Visited
Favorite bookstoresDog Eared Books - Valencia, Friends of the Palo Alto Library Bookstore at Cubberley Community Center
Favorite librariesDr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library - San José State University and San José Public Library
Also onGoodreads, Last.fm, Tumblr
Membership LibraryThing Early Reviewers/Member Giveaway
Account typepublic, year
Member sinceMar 29, 2013
Currently readingThe Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima
Almanac of the Dead by Leslie Marmon Silko
Omeros by Derek Walcott