CollectionsYour library (1,083), To read (258), Favorites (1), All collections (1,083)
Tagstbr (281), horror/supernatural/paranormal (155), crime/mystery/thriller (132), psychology/work (100), 2011 (61), 1001 books (56), kindle (53), recipes (48), read 2010 (42), Read 2007 (39) — see all tags
MediaNot set (8), Book (1,075), Paper Book (1,010), Audiobook (11), Ebook (35)
Cloudstag cloud, author cloud, tag mirror
About meCurrently reading:
Just finished (I've been a bit lax about keeping a record):
I'm going for the 50 book challenge again this year!
Here is a list of everything I've read/listened to (love my Kindle!), to date in 2012
and here is a list of everything I read in 2011
My goal this year is to try to equal last year's 61 books.
2010 = 42 books
2011 = 61 books
2012 = ???
I've decided to list a favourite quote from each book (hopefully I'll be able to find one per book!)
QUOTES FROM 2012 BOOKS
1. ‘You can’t afford to carry scars that aren’t yours to heal' from 'The Calling' by Alison Bruce
2. 'I say in my talks it takes two things to make it happen again, a new Hitler and social conditions like in the thirties. But that’s not true. It takes three things: the Hitler, the conditions … and the people to follow the Hitler.’ ‘And don’t you think he’d find them?’ ‘No, not enough of them. I really think people are better and smarter now, not so much thinking their leaders are God.' from 'The Boys From Brazil' by Ira Levin
3. 'Doing something bad on purpose is worse than doing it by mistake. You can mend a mistake but on purpose doesn't just break you, it breaks the whole world bit by bit like the scissors on the rock. I didn't want to be the one who broke the whole world' from 'Pigeon English' by Stephen Kelman
4. 'No problems are temporary until they are over. All problems are potentially permanent' from Tony & Susan' by Austin Wright
5. "There are many different types of rain, and England is famous for all of them. There are showers that start with a light drizzle, then build up to a steady pour. Then there's rain that begins drip drip, gets heavy, then stops, then starts and stops and starts again. Then there's sudden rain that starts quickly when it's sunny, like its only ambition is to make a rainbow and once it's done that, it stops" from 'A Cupboard Full of Coats' by Yvette Edwards
6. "Oft-times I’ll hear a scraping of paper, as if the books are conversing amongst themselves. The sound of knowledge being shared and expanding in the air." from 'The Bones of Avelon' by Phil Rickman
7. "Exciting, yes. That’s what life is supposed to be." from 'Amador Lockdown' by Coral Russell
8. "If you’re like me, you know that sometimes retail therapy is the only thing that will mend a broken heart, calm jangled nerves or soothe your wounded pride." from 'Big Girls Bounce' by Lulu Dean
I've read and reviewed the following for Early Reviewers:
Read and reviewed for Member Giveaway
Read and reviewed for Harvill Secker (Random Books)
Read and reviewed for Dorling Kindersley
Click the book cover to go to my review.
I'm a teacher of Psychology. I love a good bargain and spend more time than I should hunting down good second-hand books. I'm enjoying Asian fiction. at the moment, but my knowledge is limited so any sugestions are always welcome.
About my libraryEver increasing...
I have an eclectic mix of books, but I especially enjoy fiction, psychological and supernatural horror , the Victorian period, the Tudors, a twisting thriller, a good ghost story, cook books, tales from foreign lands, learning something new and old favourites from childhood.
I'm not keen on hardback books unless they have some special attribute but I love a good paperback and I'm not afraid to bend the spine (although bending the corners of pages is a no-no!). I'd never say never, but as things stand the thought of an electronic reader leaves me cold.
Good job I never actually did say never as I got a kindle for Christmas 2010 and I'm already in love with it...I think it loves me too, especially as I'm keeping it warm in a hot pink cover. Books wherever I go: when I'm not reading it, I'm listening to an audiobook Bliss!
'If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need' ~ Cicero, 55BC
Groups50 Book Challenge, Amazon's Kindle, Asian Fiction & Non-Fiction, Brits, Early Reviewers, Ghost Stories, Past and Present, Hobnob with Authors, Most Disturbing Books, ReadaThing, Thing(amabrarian)s That Go Bump in the Night
Favorite authorsJohn Ajvide Lindqvist, Kelley Armstrong, F. G. Cottam, Denis M. MacEoin, Sophie Hannah, Kazuo Ishiguro, Stephen King, Natsuo Kirino, Miyuki Miyabe, Karin Slaughter (Shared favorites)
Favorite bookstoresThe Book Barn, Waterstone's Yeovil
Favorite librariesChard Library
Also onFacebook, Wordie
Membership LibraryThing Early Reviewers/Member Giveaway
Account typepublic, lifetime
Member sinceNov 16, 2006