Importing file produced by “Export” feature does not detect ISBNs
Join LibraryThing to post.
I used the Export feature (from the More page) to export 38 books from the ‘monigeek’ library. When I try to import them, the ISBNs do not get properly detected. The TOC and first entry of the file look like this:
'TITLE',"'AUTHOR (first, last)'","'AUTHOR (last, first)'",'DATE','LCC','DDC','ISBNs',"'PUBLICATION INFO'",'COMMENT','RATINGS','REVIEWS',"'ENTRY DATE'",'COPIES','SUBJECTS','TAGS','COLLECTIONS'
"Evolutionary Writings: Including the Autobiographies (Oxford World's Classics)","Charles Darwin","Darwin, Charles",2009,,576.82092,0199208638,"Oxford University Press, USA (2009), Hardcover, 496 pages",,0,,"2010-07-11 17:03:53",1,,"Your library","evolution,darwin,science,anthology"
This will not properly import in the Universal Import feature; it shows up as a book without an ISBN.
Also note how, apparently, the “TAGS” and “COLLECTIONS” headers are reversed compared to the actual content of the record.
I can confirm this problem, I had it just a few days ago. The exporter exports the tag 'ISBNs', but the importer expects the tag 'ISBN' (no trailing 's').
Also, the exporter currently makes the ISBN columns looks like:
This is a problem , as the importer will not import the data with the leading '[' and trailing ']'.
To get the exported file to import, in addition to reversing the "TAGS" and "COLLECTIONS" headers, I had to strip the leading [ and trailing ] from all my ISBN data and changed the 'ISBNs' tag to 'ISBN' and then the import worked fine.
It would be great if the export/import feature was consistent with itself...
This bug is presenting me with a problem. Please could someone investigate it?
3 - This bug is presenting me with a problem.
Could you provide more details on the problem? What exactly are the steps, and what is going wrong?
Also, which kind of file are you using to import?
If you're using a Tab-delimited export file then saving it as CSV, you'll need to strip the brackets from around the isbn.
Another problem, however, is that if you are using Excel to manipulate your CSV file, it will often strip leading zeros from ISBNs, because it thinks they're regular numbers.
Before importing, open your file in a text-only viewer like "notepad," and check whether the ISBNs have this problem.
The way I got around this for tab-delimited-export then saved as csv was this:
1) In excel, find and replace all brackets in the isbn column with an asterix * or some other symbol that you don't use elsewhere in your catalog records. (Only that column, since brackets may appear elsewhere in your records)
2) Save as a csv file and close.
3) Open your csv file in a text editor (not a spreadsheet program). Find and replace every asterix (or whatever character you used) with nothing.
4) Save and close.
5) Try importing.
Bear in mind that when importing CSV files, if the record/row has an ISBN, the import process will only import some of the other fields in your CSV file: it will use the ISBN to grab most data from the add books sources you select. See the Help page.
(If you're starting with a CSV export rather than a tab-delimited export, then the only ways I know to avoid the problem of Excel stripping zeros are 1) not to open it in excel, but only in a text editor, if you have to open it, and/or 2) check your CSV file before importing, and re-add any missing zeros.)
This topic is part of LibraryThing's in-talk bug tracking.
Join or watch Bug Collectors to get "Bug Tracking" under "The World" in Talk all the time.
Assigned to all
Reported by chmod007
Sep 26, 2012, 5:39pm
266 days since last change
This topic is not marked as primarily about any work, author or other topic.