Do you recognize this story?
Join LibraryThing to post.
This topic is currently marked as "dormant"—the last message is more than 90 days old. You can revive it by posting a reply.
I have a patron trying to find this story. This is what I have. Do you know it?
- two men come upon a house on a fall/winter afternoon and find a woman in the house
- she asks them to stay for lunch, which they agree to do
- she proceeds to tell them a story about how, on a day much like this one, the men of the house went out for the day, hunting, I believe.
- but they never returned
- the story is enthralling, and the two men are completely drawn in by the tale of how these hunters met such an unfortunate fate
- just then, the missing hunters emerge from the woods. At first you think that they might be ghosts, but then you realize that the woman is crazy!
It sounds a lot like Saki's "The Open Window", though there are some slight differences (number of visitors, girl rather than a woman, etc.).
This topic is not marked as primarily about any work, author or other topic.