General account issues
Please answer LibraryThing related questions here (and on the other Help and FAQ pages). To ASK questions, however, please use Talk.
How do I create an account?
Just click "join now" on the homepage, then enter a user name and password.
Passwords cannot have space in them.
How do I change my username or password?
Change is easy. If you want to change your password or username, go to Change or delete, under "Edit profile and settings."
Also at Change or delete, you can delete your LibraryThing account. This deletes books you've entered and your profile page. It does not delete Talk posts, contributions to Common Knowledge, etc.
What if I lost my password or forgot my user name?
Go to lostsomething.
What To Do If No Password Reset Email Arrives: (if you've attempted to send a password reset via email address AND by username.)
If you did not receive an email, and have check all possible folders (including your spam folder), it is likely this email is not connected to your account.
- Please attempt to log into your LibraryThing account via Facebook or Twitter. Then please add an email via: http://www.librarything.com/editprofile/profile
- Double check that you have spelled your email address or username correctly in the lostsomething.
- Try (and double check spam folders!) of old email addresses you might have linked to your old account.
- If these steps fail, please forward an email to email@example.com with (1) one of the following identity confirmations:
- An old email your account from LibraryThing, perhaps sent to another, now removed, email address.
- A PayPal receipt.
- Post a password reset request to LibraryThing via the Facebook, Twitter, or Webpage accounts LINKED to your LibraryThing account. (NOTE: You can also log in via the first two).
- A private message or comment that you have made on your account in the past, which you can recall the contents of.
For extra confirmation, you can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with three rare-ish item titles from your catalog. Needles that most other haystacks don't conceal, in other words.
I lost all my books! Where did you put them?
Check your user name at the top right of the screen. What probably happened was you made a typo and created a second, slightly different account. LibraryThing's much-praised bare-bones sign in form has that drawback. For now, we're keeping it simple. Email email@example.com if you need help finding your account.
I created a new account by mistake, how do I delete it?
Navigate to http://www.librarything.com/editprofile/change