HelpThing was written by members like you, with some help from LibraryThing staff.
View a list of all of the HelpThing topics.
The first rule of HelpThing is "be bold!" If you can add or edit it, go ahead. We also have a HelpThing Style Guide.
 Features: Other people's profiles
Most of the types of information that you can see on your own profile are the same when you view other people's profiles (although sometimes displayed in a different order), with some obvious exceptions - there's no link to edit someone else's profile, for instance. The links in the upper navigation bar will take you to their recommendations, statistics, etc. There are also some other options and information unique to profile pages other than your own.
Add to Member Connections In the pink box in the top right, there are three choices to add another user to your member connection list.
- Add to interesting libraries - this allows you to call out users and their libraries you find interesting. These users will appear in the "Member Connections" box on your profile page, and will be visible to others who visit your profile. The member will also receive a notice that you've added them to your Interesting Libraries list.
- Add as a friend - Friending is mutual; clicking this link will send the other user a friend request, which they must accept before they show up in your "Member Connections" box. Your list of friends is also viewable to others on your profile page.
- Add to private watch list - If you want to make a note of someone's profile/library without sending them a notification or having the connection be publicly viewable on your profile page, this is the way to do it.
If you're on the profile page of a member that you have already added to one or more of these three groups, the links will change to "Remove from..." instead of "Add to..."
Invite to Group If you think a member would be interested in one of the groups that you belong to, you have the option of using this link to send them an comment with an invitation and a link to the group. Clicking this link will expand the box to give a drop-down menu of all of the groups to which you belong, and a text field for entering a personal message.
Block This Member. You can block a member from posting comments on your Profile page. Blocking a member will also hide their posts in Talk.
LibraryThing Author or Legacy badges. If the member is a LibraryThing Author or a LibraryThing Legacy Library, there will be a badge here with a link to the author page and either the LibraryThing Author program or the Legacy project.
Books You Share. Shows books you have in common with that member. The list defaults to the first five books sorted alphabetically by title. You can expand this list on the profile page by clicking "see all works", or you can view it in catalog format by clicking "See in library". Clicking on a book title will take you to that book's work page; if the other member has written a review of a book, a "read review" link will appear that takes you to their review.
- If you put music or video on your profile do not set it to start automatically.
- Before LibraryThing got Home pages, the profile page served as most members "main" page. The layout and some of the links still reflect this older role. At least it's better looking than when LibraryThing started.
(This section is not displayed if you have a private account, although the Clouds link in the top navigation bar will still be visible.)