Please answer LibraryThing related questions here (and on the other Help and FAQ pages). To ASK questions, however, please use Talk.
Starting on November 22, 2008 LibraryThing started handing out "Helper badges" to members who contribute to the system.
The Prime Directive
No whining. LibraryThing Helper badges are not "fair," nor could they be. Some important activities, like un-combining books or adding to Legacy Libraries, aren't counted, and others couldn't be. No one should feel bad about anyone else's awards. But you can feel justly proud about everything you do for the LibraryThing system, whether you get a badge for it or not.
User-contributed badges are contemplated. Come talk about it here.
In September 2009, LibraryThing started awarding "medals" for service in a special project. Medals have no degrees—they're all the same.
Badges currently available (number of contributions needed for bronze/silver/gold)
- Helper for contributions to any area of LibraryThing (10/250/500)
- Common Knowledge for contributions to Common Knowledge (10/100/500)
- Work Combination for help maintaining LibraryThing's work system (10/100/500)
- Author Combination for help combining author names together (10/100/500)
- Translations for help translating LibraryThing into other languages (10/100/500)
- Author Neverers for help preventing bad author combinations (10/100/500)
- Picture Flaggers for help policing LibraryThing author and venue pictures (10/50/100)
- Author Pictures for help giving authors photographs and pictures (10/50/100)
- Venue Photos for help adding photos to bookstores, libraries and other venues. (10/50/100)
- Local Bookstores for adding new bookstores and fair/festivals to LibraryThing Local (5/25/250)
- Local Libraries for adding new libraries to LibraryThing Local (5/25/250)
- Local Events for adding events to LibraryThing Local (10/25/250)
- Venue Combinations for work combining LibraryThing Local venues (5/10/25)
- Distinct authors for splitting homonymous authors into distinct authors (10/35/75)
- Published Reviews for enriching LibraryThing by adding published reviews (10/50/200)
- Member Recommendations for adding member recommendations to works (10/50/100)
- Work-Spam Flagging for flagging works as potential spam (10/100/250)
- Work-Spam Voting for voting on work spam (50/250/500)
Medals that have been given out (number of contributions needed, if applicable)
- Corsair Commendation for helping to translate LibraryThing to Pirate (5)
- Friend of Indies for helping to link LibraryThing and IndieBound Data (2)
- Noble Prize for helping to link LibraryThing to B&N (2)
- Abe Award for helping to link LibraryThing to Abebooks.com (2)
- Book Depocalypse for surviving the SantaThing 2010 debacle
Badges on your profile can be identified by hovering over them with your cursor.
Badges and medals
Badges are refreshed every night at midnight (Eastern time). They are generally unavailable for a few minutes around that time.
More about this topic
For more about this see the talk thread. This thread is now somewhat out of date.