Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (178)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (182)
3. 5 star rating:

My reaction to this novel was similar to that of Outlander. The beginning of the novel held much promise but there were aspects of the plot that I did not enjoy and certain sections were difficult for me to get through.
  LisaAnn805 | Jul 23, 2016 |
I can't stress enough how much I adore this series. Especially in audiobook form... The accents are just brilliant.

As the story of Jamie and Claire continues, I'm getting more and more concerned for them. I'm an anxious person, I can't take this. But I will, obviously. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Once again I am blown away by Gabaldon's abilities as an author to take an unlikely premise with two strong characters and weave a story that is both believable and engaging. From France and the court of Louis XIV to the battlefields of Bonnie Prince Charlie, the depths of characterization and history are told with an eye to the telescope. An aspect I liked is that Claire is realizing her need to not venture an opinion or act on her own behalf at all times. It's not just that Jamie will come looking for her as he does in Bk. 1, it's that speaking the word plague" in the mid 1700's is a really, really bad idea. She is learning wisdom and how to make her point in a way that will gain her respect and admiration at the time in which she finds herself, not easy to do for a strong-willed woman from the field hospitals of WWII. Jamie, too, has had to learn to back down a bit, that his wife has a good mind and an opinion he needs to respect and he is doing so well. And the life they are living! The times of the absolute monarchy, the absolute clan hierarchy, are told with great detail. The lead-up to events, where we join Claire in 1960's Scotland bring the life she has lived without Jamie to the forefront, and make the return to the 1740's almost a relief. These two lovers are a couple whom we want to see stay together and it is a relief to read most of the book as their time together.

There is a cliffhanger at the end - make sure you have Bk. 3 ready to start when you finish this one!" ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
Dragonfly In Amber is the second book in the Outlander series; continuing the story Claire, a WWII nurse who accidentally traveled backward in time to 18th century Scotland, where she met, married, and fell in love with Jamie, a dashing Highlander. It's now 1968, and Claire Beauchamp Randall has returned to Inverness, Scotland, with her daughter, Brianna. This is Claire's first visit back since she and husband Frank visited 22 years before--when she walked through a Druid stone circle into the middle of the 18th century For twenty years, Claire Randall has kept her secrets, now, with the death of Frank, she plans to share those secrets with her daughter Brianna. The author presents 2 major storylines, the first and last chapters take place in 1968—and Claire is now a physician and she wants to explain to her daughter Brianna about her time traveling history as well who her real father is. Claire also wants to find out what happened to Jamie, their family and friends after the battle of Culloden (where the Scots were soundly defeated by the British). The second plot (the majority of the book) takes place in the 18th century, where Jaimie and Claire have escaped the English death sentence passed against Jamie. They flee to prerevolutionary Paris, where they secretly work at foiling Bonnie Prince Charlie's efforts to regain the Scottish throne and preventing the Battle of Culloden Moor, (1745), and its terrible aftermath for all of Scotland. This book introduces us to some interesting new characters, including Prince Charles, Master Raymond (a mysterious fellow “healer”), a young boy Fergus and Roger Wakefield (a historian who was a young boy in Inverness when Claire went through the stones). I love the relationship between Claire and Jaimie—both are strong, smart and they represent a real partnership even during the times they live in. I can’t wait for the next in the series. 4 ½ out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jun 16, 2016 |
This is a re-read so that I can join in the discussion. I love this series. ( )
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible