Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (141)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (145)
As I said, I am profoundly enthralled with this story, especially with Claire and Jamie's time in France - French bourgeoisie, dinners and balls, shady politics and endless conspiracies? What's not to love?

At first I thought that the predictability of the story will diminish the wonderful reading experience, since the reader already knows what will happen in 20 years, but I could not have been further from wrong. The story is all about intricate details of daily lives of the 18th century people - thus, knowing the direction the story will take only makes the getting there more exciting! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
I was a bit worried about the change in venue as Claire and Jamie make their way to the glittering courts of Paris. With Fraser family connections, they are quickly set up in a home and positioned to either help or harm the unseated Prince Charlie's quest for cash and the Jacobite cause back home in Scotland. Claire wishes to avoid the Battle of Cullodon she knows from her time. As usual, Claire's healing brings suspicion, this time, she is referred to La Dame Blanche while in Paris, administering to the poor at a hospital. There are so many characters coming along as you read, it's hard to know who may wind up being more important than another. Claire and Jamie do head back to Scotland and Lallybroch, so I got my dose of Scottish descriptive prose too. Of course, flashes to the Wakefield residence made foreshadowing forgone, but everything seems to have a part in the piece and things layer quite nicely upon one another. As soon as I have time to devour another 900+ page book, Voyager it is! ( )
  ethel55 | Mar 21, 2015 |
The outlander series is one of the best I have read. I love historical fiction and this series does not disappoint. The series centers around Claire and Jaime with some time travel for Claire. I am eager to move to the next book in the series. ( )
  mnm123 | Feb 24, 2015 |
I am entranced by this series. It is not to complicated to read yet it is absorbing in its entirety. ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
Good to learn more about Claire and Jamie, but the first and last parts of the book, set in 1968 with Claire's daughter Brianna, were hard to read. Those two sections switched between third person narration from Roger's p.o.v. to first person narration by Claire.
The middle sections related Claire and Jamie's attempts to change the fates of the Scottish clans at the battle of Culloden. Playing both sides of the Bonnie Prince Charles' restoration attempts. ( )
  aimless22 | Feb 1, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:10 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,724,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible