Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (133)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (136)
I am reading the series of the outlanders. I liked this book, however again to much rambling and detail. Some chapters I felt could have been left out all together. Just don't see why Gabaldon waited so long to send Claire back and why did she leave Bree behind. Didn't like that. easy read and I like Jamie and Claire so I was happy that she was returning to him. ( )
  Calisandria | Dec 17, 2014 |
Wincingly forced voices (Geraldine James), telegraphed plot, and simple soap opera characters. This audio is designed to keep the driver focused on the road. ( )
  DromJohn | Dec 15, 2014 |
Lord what a slog! I should perhaps not have tackled this right after the first book, which I enjoyed but felt was too long. I did not really enjoy this at all.

The France section of the book was endless and almost entirely unnecessary. The relationship between Jamie and Charles Stuart could have been established in 25 rather than 250 pages. The whole Randall brothers storyline is silly and clearly there only as a way to set up a later descendant. The homophobia from the last book rises to a fever pitch in this section of the book as well.

I was creeped out by the fact that Claire was supposedly telling the story to her daughter, and the telling included a fair bit of sex. Also creepy, much of that sex occurred when they were utterly filthy, one scene following a discussion of picking body lice off of others when it became rampant due to bad hygiene and lack of sanitation. It might be me, but I find the thought of people who have not bathed in weeks having sex to be a serious turn-off. Go ahead ad refer to it, but I don't need a full on sex scene where all I can think of is the stench. Blech.

A final note. I listened to this book, and though the author has a lovely voice and laudable style, and does a generally good job of delineating characters by voice, she has the WORST American accent I have ever heard. Ungodly bad. Worse than Anne Hathaway's accent in One Day. Worse than Gerard Butler's American accent in The Bounty Hunter or Hayley Mills' in The Parent Trap. Really...that bad. To top it off the reader over enunciates so it sounds like the speech of someone profoundly deaf, which Briana is not. Briana is so far a terrible character anyway, spoiled and entitled and boy-crazy, but the situation is made worse by the nails on a blackboard effect of the pseudo-American accent. I am really enjoying the Starz series. I am going to stick to that going forward. ( )
  Narshkite | Nov 27, 2014 |
Book 2

a continuation of Outlander. Absolutely wonderful, it carries on the story of Jamie and Claire. A must read for all Diana Gabaldon fans
  LadyBrook3 | Nov 23, 2014 |
The story of Jamie and Claire continues in this second novel of the Outlander series. The ending was extremely suspenseful; I'm so glad that I don't have to wait to read Voyager. This series is absolutely fantastic!!!! I rarely give a book five stars, but Gabaldon has earned each and every one. ( )
  silva_44 | Nov 12, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:10 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,373,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible