Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (160)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (164)
Its been years since I've read this and I'm trying to go through the series before the end of the year when the last book in the series comes out. Over 700 pages and I think I inhaled it over a few days. We are through Culloden and Claire thinks that Jaime is dead until the end when they learn he may not be. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
More war than I care for, but Gabaldon does make you want to keep reading. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |

Read this review on my blog

The sequel to Outlander was unexpected and I like many others had a little panic.

Claire is back in her present day but 20 years have passed since she had returned. She has a grown daughter and she is back in Scotland to tell her story and find out what truly happened to the men of Lallybroch at the battle of Culloden. What?!

The reader knows from the beginning that obviously something had happened in 18th century Scotland because Claire had returned and not knowing what happened was torturous. For me, I had to find out what the hell happened and so this burning desire is what pulled me through the first 2 thirds of the book. I had read a lot of reviews by other readers who found this sequel very boring because there is a lot of complicated political intrigue and a lot of characters to get used to in France. The France section of the book is quite long and its not as fast paced or action packed as the first book was. I quite liked the slow-paced parts of the book because it allowed the reader to witness Jamie and Claire interact with each other as a married couple without the stress of being on the run and having dangerous situations separate them and just interrupt. There are some beautiful moments between Claire and Jamie and I found that to be quite heart-warming and a nice break from disaster after disaster. That is not to say France doesn't have its share of a few undesirable situations and by the time that part of the book is over, my jaw was dropped in just utter shock.

The story does return to Scotland and I don't want to spoil anything but that is where the pace starts to pick up and the final events start to unfold. Because of what is known from the beginning of the book, you know something is coming and I had a deep feeling of dread in my stomach. I challenge anybody soft of heart not to ugly cry at the end of this book.

My favourite parts of the book were the trials and tribulations of Jamie and Claire's marriage - it was refreshing for me to see that its not all sunshine and roses and Gabaldon tried to be realistic with their romance. I also loved the little details about everyday living for Claire in 1740s such as what did she use for toilet paper and what about body hair? It was just pretty sweet.

One thing that did distract me a bit was Claire is pregnant, as we know from the first book but she drinks alcohol ALOT. Surely a woman from the 1940s present day would know that alcohol was hazardous to the baby?

This was truly an epic sequel, I give it 4 stars only because it was not as fast paced as Outlander and it was quite slow in some places.
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Finally, this book was so long I started to count how many pages were left, not a good sign. Don't get me wrong it's a vera good book ! It is packed with details and events that had me on the edge of my seat. I would have liked to see some of Claire's prattling on dress and politics taken out, she just thought about "everything" too much for me. I think I don't like Claire herself much, she drove me insane in the first book with her stupid actions. In this one she tells her daughter of her past, when she in an adult, why did she wait so long ? Well it seemed ill-conceived.... Poor Jamie, nothing good seems to ever come his way. I am tired of his endless suffering, it breaks my heart.
I plan on reading the next book, it will be awhile
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I didn't enjoy it as much as 'Cross Stitch', the first in the series; if I hadn't read that first it would have been extremely confusing. However I wanted to know what happened to Jamie and Clare so I persevered! It's a bit of a strange book... mostly historical, during the Jacobite rebellion. Yet far more interesting than most army-type books - Gabaldon really is an excellent writer. Mostly she manages to describe the conditions without being boring, and the unpleasantness and violence without getting gruesome. Mostly... but not always. I couldn't read the description of hanging, drawing and quartering after the first paragraph. It was apparently an exercise in maximum excrutiating pain for the longest possible time, and only done by 'master' executioners. How can society have been so evil?

Anyway... it stops being a straight historical novel by the unlikely twist that Clare was born in the 20th century and went back 200 years in time to the midst of war-torn Scotland. At least, that's what happens in 'Cross Stitch'. In 'Dragonfly in Amber' she starts off back in the 20th century with a grown-up daughter who knows nothing of her mother's strange time-travelling past, and eventually tells her the story... which is the bulk of the novel, continuing where the previous one left off.

Confused? All I can say is: if it appeals, try 'Cross Stitch' first. That's excellent. But don't expect quite so much of this one. Still, there was enough of a draw at the end to make me rush over to play.com to order 'Voyager', the third in the series! ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible