Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

9,046192331 (4.22)329

English (187)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (192)
If I ever need to point to a novel and state that there is an example of how an author feels a need to put all the research on the page, I've given out before about titles that have too little information but this one goes in completely the opposite direction, and the framing narrative doesn't work, no-one could narrate all that in a small number of hours, and I wish the story had been pared down to that narrative.

After many years Claire returns to Scotland with her adult daughter, her modern husband being now dead and tells her the story of what happened next and her conception.

It's not a bad read but it could be pared down. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 8, 2016 |
I feel like I'm missing something here. A great number of people are continuously rating these books as 4 & 5 stars. So what am I missing in these tales that I still feel these books are just a bit more than okay, and certainly not excellent? My update from the near halfway point of the book still applies-"I struggle with thoroughly enjoying parts of this book and feeling suffocated by the sheer magnitude of melodrama. The constant fighting and bickering between Claire and Jamie is outright exhausting, and the cycle of quarreling and making-up had become redundant and boring. And there's another rape scene. Can Ms. Gabaldon write one book without using this as a plot device? It's wearisome." I will at some point move on to Voyager, because I truly do wish to know what actually happened to Jamie. There are a few really great sections that lie in these books. I love good historical fiction, particularly exploring another person's fantasy of what may or may not have transpired to real people and places of history. I'm by no means a prude, but the "love" and rape scenes in these books make it very difficult for me to take the stories seriously. They detract from the quality of the books. Ex: It's wonderful that Claire and Jamie managed one last copulation before she made her way to the stones and returned to present time. I did not need to know that her thighs were slimy with semen. It added nothing to the story for me, and left me once again rolling my eye and reading the passage aloud to my husband so he too could enjoy a good laugh. I'm so very torn between loving and hating this series. I hope my endurance in reading these pays off down the road in a later book. ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
Having given ‘The Outlander: Book 1’ five stars on Goodreads, I was so excited to read ‘Dragonfly in Amber’ which was the ensuing novel in the Outlander series. Although this book presents captivating information about the Jacobite movement in Scotland, and it further engages in the passionate romance between the Scottish warrior, Jamie Fraser, and his beloved Claire, I felt a little disconnected at times from the plot. When Jamie and Claire travel to Paris, the novel often wanes and plods on. Even colorful characters, such as Master Raymond, the sorcerer extraordinaire, fail to jumpstart this novel from the lagging plot line. Told from the present tense, as Claire Randall takes her daughter to Scotland to reveal the secrets of her past, this story does weave into the context of the first novel, as the reader learns about what really happened between Jamie and Claire. Given some disappointment with the novel, I will say that Diana Gabaldon continues to write with exacting detail and beautiful vernacular, using lovely, Scottish prose from the Jacobian era. For example, she has Jamie profess his love for Claire. ““Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go.” Who cannot love the sexy Scottish accent and the evocative prose? ( )
  haymaai | Nov 5, 2016 |
This has always been both my least favorite, and very favorite, of all the Outlander books. I loved the whole climatic ending with the final battle, but hated the fact that you start reading about present stuff and past stuff, and hated the whole living in France bit. Everything that happened in France just bored me silly, and everything was just way, way too neat/simple/polished/fell into place. Grr. I hate books like that. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
The continuation of Claire & Jamie with the addition of their daughter & a potential suitor make for a very interesting storyline & plot. Adventure abounds with political plots, assassination attempts, fighting, death, & sensual lovemaking scenes. The book however didn't end as I suspected it would. Looking forward to book 3. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible