Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (129)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (132)
The story of Jamie and Claire continues in this second novel of the Outlander series. The ending was extremely suspenseful; I'm so glad that I don't have to wait to read Voyager. This series is absolutely fantastic!!!! I rarely give a book five stars, but Gabaldon has earned each and every one. ( )
  silva_44 | Nov 12, 2014 |
I quite enjoyed this. It was too long (her books should each be two books IMO), but otherwise, I really liked the setting, especially in France, and the continuation of Claire and Jamie's romance.
  hoosgracie | Nov 3, 2014 |
Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon; {acquired prior to L/T}; (4*)

For some twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning to Inverness, Scotland with her grown daughter, Brianna, to the majestic mist shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal to her daughter a truth as unbelievable as the events which led up to it. In Gabaldon's first book, Outlander, we learned about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones near Inverness and about a love that transcends the boundaries of time. We learned about the young James Fraser, a Scottish warrior, whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his, the 1700s of Scotland
Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper haired daughter as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self discovery continues in the intrigue ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart (the Bonnie Prince Charlie) in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves along with the others of the clans.
Following on the heels of Outlander which introduced readers to Claire Randall and her journey through time Dragonfly in Amber returns us to the heroine 20 years after her fantastic voyage back through the stones from the 1700s Scotland to the Scotland of the 1960s.
I truly enjoy this series. It just kind of sweeps me away with the pages and allows me to forget my mundane world. And I appreciate the research which Diana Gabaldon has done in order that her books have a more realistic, though not perfect, background in history. I love all of the descriptions of the economic & agricultural times, the plant life with which Claire makes her healing potions & pastes, the way she takes things from that time and fashions implements of the time from which she came, the differences in weaponry, and I especially love how she grows her characters and how they pop in and out of the weave of her story lines. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Oct 31, 2014 |
The second volume in the Outlander series, Dragonfly In Amber finds Clare back in the 20th century with her grown daughter Brianna in tow. Time and crisis has brought Clare back from the 18th century life with her beloved Jamie during the bloody uprising of the Scots against the British. But Clare returned abruptly, with no certain knowledge of what had become of Jamie and no assurance that her husband Frank would take her back. In all likelihood, Jamie had been killed in battle shortly after he returned Clare to the portal that would send her to relative safety, along with the unborn child she carried.

Having been "away" for three years, Clare finds that the best way to deal with her past is to sublimate it and live in the present. Frank does not believe her story and neither do the doctors who treat her during her recovery.

We pick up her story some 20 years later after Frank has passed away. Clare is ready to find out all she can about the battle which in all likelihood took Jamie's life along with most of his compatriots who had promised to fight for the right of Bonny Prince Charlie to be returned to the throne.

It is not long before Clare is telling her unbelievably intense, daring and romantic story to her doubting daughter and the young historian who just might have some mysterious roots in the past as well, and so we get to return to that incredible period in history and the intriguing heroes, villains and regular folks who inhabit that world.

Another great chapter in a saga that is not over yet. And now on to Voyager... ( )
  vcg610 | Oct 11, 2014 |
I wrote my last review before completely finishing the book. (Foolish, I know!) While I did find that it drug a little in the middle when they are at court, it was fantastic to the very end! Opening Voyager as we speak! Love this series! ( )
  Pickle115 | Sep 21, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:10 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,939,994 books! | Top bar: Always visible