Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (150)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (154)
"Damn... it took me more than I was expecting to finish this book. Now that I finally have, I can say that I like it more than I had hoped I would. I have some problems with it, but they are nothing new; they are actually the same problems I have with every historical fiction book: the endless political drama that doesn't actually add anything significant to the story itself. For those who don't know, Dragonfly in Amber shows the story that happens around Claire and Jamie, mostly, while they are living in Paris as refugees, trying to find out how to stop the upcoming massacre of Culloden.

Well, let's start from the beginning. While it started off great - maybe because I was still impregnated with the good feelings coming from the first book, the story, more quickly than I would expect, turned into a mess of dull details and gut-wrenching political drama. The first time I got stuck was around 40%, I believe. The story was just dragging too much. For months I actually gave up the book; the idea was to never pick it up again. However, the first season of the adaptation to the TV got to an end and I was just too curious as to what would happen on the second season. The I managed, with great effort and commitment, to finish reading it. Man, that was painful. I simply didn't have it in me to read it anymore. I knew what was coming, so not only did I not want to get to that part that I knew would make me sad as hell, I also couldn't get past those gigantic barriers of sleepy, dragged out political melodrama and useless made-up battle details. Curiously enough, though, the repetitive tending to the sick and moving around with the army thing was entertaining, in my opinion. It didn't bore me at all. Some parts where Claire and Jamie were sleepless, tired, tending to the injured and joking around were actually really fun.

Regarding the characters themselves, I actually still like the old ones as much as I liked them on Outlander. Jamie is still stubborn, but on his funny way; his interactions with others, especially Claire, are always fun to read. The way Gabaldon displays Claire is still pretty much the same: a strong, independent woman. There are also some new characters that made the story more captivating. One of them is Fergus, a little orphan boy which Jamie rescues from the streets and hires as a servant (or spy?). The way his relationship with Fergus develops is totally sweet; little by little they become almost like father and son. Claire too becomes very found of the boy, gradually, which makes them kindda look like a family. The other character that immensely enriched the plot is Mother Hildegarde, a superior Mother responsible for the Hospital where Claire is voluntarily working during her free time. Yes, Hildegarde is impregnated with the feminist characteristics which Gabaldon apparently loves to put on all her female characters, but she is also sweet and highly educated and wise; as her relationship with Claire evolved I couldn't help the feeling that Claire was reporting to her, sometimes, as a daughter.

Anyway, thanks God and everything good that is on the Universe, the ending of the book was far better than any other part of it. I felt energized by the feeling that having let myself be dragged around all those political details for such a long time had finally paid off by some awesome, emotional climactic scenes. Overall, I actually liked this book. I think it would've been perfect if only some parts had been cut off on editing - mostly the unnecessary political details which did nothing to the plot but turn it massively boring, at some points. Despite that, I am glad I read it. However, I will not be reading the third one anytime soon. I figured that, since a big part of the reason that made me come back to this book was the TV show, I will read the third one only when the third season is about to air. That way I will feel more motivated to just read the book faster and will also have the story fresh in my mind while watching the episode that will be released every week.

The Last Passage
Her face paled suddenly, and she glanced wide-eyed at the book.
“His men? But I thought you found—”
“I did,” Roger interrupted. “No, I’m fairly sure he succeeded in that. He got the men of Lallybroch out; he saved them from Culloden, and set them on the road home.”
“But then…”
“He meant to turn back—back to the battle—and I think he did that, too.” He was increasingly reluctant, but it had to be said. Finding no words of his own, he flipped the book open, and read aloud:
“After the final battle at Culloden, eighteen Jacobite officers, all wounded, took refuge in the old house and for two days, their wounds untended, lay in pain; then they were taken out to be shot. One of them, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped the slaughter; the others were buried at the edge of the domestic park.”

“One man, a Fraser of the Master of Lovat’s regiment, escaped.…” Roger repeated softly. He looked up from the stark page to see her eyes, wide and unseeing as a deer’s fixed in the headlights of an oncoming car.
“He meant to die on Culloden Field,” Roger whispered. “But he didn’t.”
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
It took me quite a while to make up my mind and read on through Diana Gabaldon's Outlander saga. It took me time since I had decided to stop at the end of book 1 when I first read it (my review). I was quite sure that Jamie and Claire happy in France, sharing their passion in that cave under the Abbey, were an ideal finale to their story.

Then the TV series came and I reread Outlander. Once Jamie was Sam Heughan in the flesh, Claire had Caitriona Balfe spirited look and Frank/Jack Randall were both embodied by charming Tobias Menzies , I had at least 3 good reasons to enjoy this saga (more than enjoy!)

Like many other fans, I was quite sad hearing that the series would take a very long hiatus after the first 8 episodes and that we would have to wait until April 4th 2015 for the release of the second half of season 1. That's when I decided I had to go on reading.
(read my complete review at http://flyhigh-by-learnonline.blogspot.it/2014/12/the-outlander-saga-by-diana-ga...) ( )
  learnonline | Aug 28, 2015 |
This continues where Outlander leaves off, with a separate intro from the 1960s. Claire is “back” and has a grown-up daughter, Brianna. Frank has passed away. Claire brings Brianna to Scotland, intending to tell her about Claire's having travelled back to 18th century Scotland. Claire also finds someone, Roger, whom she needs to fill in on something. She tells them her story, continuing from where Outlander left off, with Claire and Jaime heading to France.

I really liked this one. I liked the story with Brianna and Roger, as well as Claire and Jamie's continuing story. I would actually say I liked this better than Outlander, but that is most likely because I listened to the audio for Outlander, but read this one, instead. The books are so long, it's easy to lose focus with the audios, so reading in print or ebook seems to be the way to go for this series for me. ( )
  LibraryCin | Aug 11, 2015 |
This is a re-read for me, but that tells you how much I enjoy the series. The biggest downfall of this book is everything that takes place in France. You can literally skip that entire section and have no trouble with the rest of the book and the rest of the series - it is dull and unnecessary. All parts before and after France are quite good tho. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Aug 4, 2015 |
She keeps the story moving. Intense even when you know what is going to happen. How will Claire and Jamie get back together? ( )
  bgknighton | May 26, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,147,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible