Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (183)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (188)
The continuation of Claire & Jamie with the addition of their daughter & a potential suitor make for a very interesting storyline & plot. Adventure abounds with political plots, assassination attempts, fighting, death, & sensual lovemaking scenes. The book however didn't end as I suspected it would. Looking forward to book 3. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
And I thought this series would take me forever to finish but guess what? I've read two books so far in one month and hoping to do the same in October but when I think about it, I want to slow down a bit because I don't want this book to finish.

In this book, we meet 2 new major characters: Roger and Brianna. I loved the role of Roger in this book and how he somehow knew what Claire went through or sensed something was off with her regarding the Jacobites soldiers. He also knew that Brianna was conceived in the past and somehow knew who her father was.

"Damn you. Jamie Fraser!" I said, furious. "What are you doing there anyway; it's miles from Culloden"

I don't know why Claire couldn't sense/feel/see that Jamie might have survived Culloden when she saw his grave that far away from the battle field. She should have had some doubts but she didn't.

And then we go back in time, Claire remembering what happened in France and the ghost of Black Jack following Jamie everywhere even in his dreams.

"You'll go to your death with your arse burning from my pleasure, and when you lose your bowels, it will be my spunk running down your legs and dripping on the ground below the gallows".

Damn that quote. My god, how awful is Jack RANDALL. I've never seen such a horrific villain in any book i've read in my whole life. The description of that scene when Jamie was having nightmares of Black Jack is just awful. Can't imagine someone going through that psychological pain.

Even Claire couldn't escape his horrific words and threats. When he wanted her help to fix his brother Alexander, he didn't request politely, Oh no. He came with harsh words and unbelievable description of what happened to Jamie in that prison cell.

"I have held the soul of his manhood, have taken from him what he has taken from me."

"We are linked, you and I, through the body of one him. Through him".

The characters of this series is beyond amazing. How Diana Gabaldon portrayed each one of them and developed them is beyond magnificent especially the character of Black Jack. Even when he's desperate, he's still evil and became more evil and harsh.

Can't wait to read book 3 "woohoo". ( )
  books.paper.mania | Oct 1, 2016 |
Intriguing. Very intriguing. 950 pages to make me read the next book. Ok, Gabaldon. You have me hooked. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
The saga of Jamie and Claire continues--what more can I say? I didn't start reading this series until the STARZ dramatization got me hooked. This second installment gives of more of the same: time travel, romance, men in kilts, political intrigue, battles, Scottish scenery, 17th century customs, social conflict, secrets, and a stint at the French court to boot. We're introduced to Jamie and Claire's daughter Brianna, born after she time traveled from the 1740s back to the late 1940s; it's 1968 when Dragonfly in Amber begins. Claire and her daughter return to the Highlands after her husband Frank's death; she hopes to learn more about the fate of Jamie Fraser (when she left him at the end of Outlander, he was about to go into the doomed Battle of Culloden). I listened to the audiobook and can honestly say that I wondered if it would maintain my interest for almost 40 hours of listening. It did--and the reader, Davina Porter, is wonderful. If you are into the televised series, the second season sticks quite closely to this novel. On to Voyager! ( )
  Cariola | Aug 15, 2016 |
Sequel to Outlander (didn't know and I read it first!) and I loved it. Main character Clair falls down the rabbit hole so to speak into another time from the 20th century to the 18th--1743 exactly. Not a dull minute. ( )
  lhaines56 | Aug 4, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible