Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (169)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (173)
Obviously, my favorites are long, well written, historical fiction, with an amazing love story. This is one of the best. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
These books are very long, so my first suggestion to you is to make sure you're up for an in depth long read, and not wanting a fluffy takes a day read.
That being said, I did enjoy the story. I was confused at first because the end of book one did not even hint at where the beginning of book two began. I honestly got more into the book when Claire began telling her tale and we got to go back and see what DID happen to get her there after book one. Many tears were shed in the reading of this book, there definitely times of mourning and sadness and grief.
At the end, I felt more of a sense of a cliffhanger than the first book left me with. Still not so much as to be annoying, or frustrating, but enough to be more obvious to the reader that there is more to the story than what was just read.
I'm taking a small break from the series now, but I do look forward to what book three might hold in store for Claire and her loved ones. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
The first 500 pages of this book absolutely bored me!!! I was very tempted to just throw in the towel but I knew how great Outlander was so I stuck with it. So glad to be done with this one and looking forward to starting the next one. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I couldn't imagine how the story would continue when Claire came back to her own time, but this novel takes the reader on a historical scavenger hunt as Claire tries to find out what happened to those she loved back in Scotland of the 1700s. As she and her daughter and a local historian find each new clue, Ms. Gabaldon gives us a first hand account of Jamie's experiences. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 30, 2016 |
A man named Roger, a scholar, gets a visit from Claire in 1968 with her daughter Brianna, she came to ask a favor. Before this in France in the 1700's Claire had just saved Jamie from the border of going insane. They are in a monastery, and after getting well Jamie decides that they should go to France, Jamie gets seasick on the way. In France Jamie has a relative named Jared who owns a wine business, Jared has to go on an extended trip so he leaves the wine business to Jamie. Jamie and Claire are trying to stop the rising of the Bonnie Prince Charlie so that there won't be a war in later on. One day Jamie comes home with a young boy who tried to pick his pocket, his name was Fergus. Fergus becomes their servant and intercepts mail and secret messages from important heads of France. Some time later Jamie gets in a fight with none other than Jack Randall, he is then arrested for having an illegal sword fight. His friends help him to be released and they continue to try to stop the Bonnie Prince. They failed to stop him and ended up going to war, they won many battles but in the end with their army starving and weak they march to Culloden field to meet their fate. Jamie foreseeing disaster takes Claire and rides back to the standing stones of Creigh Na Dun and puts her through them back to her own time while he rides back to the battle field.

Diana Gabaldon has such a creative, philosophical, and intelligent mind to write the way she does. All the books are really long but have excellent vocab and wording are great. I would recommend this book for high school and above due to some of its content and scenes. Personally I like to read long books because I like to have a long lasting story, that's why I chose this book. This book series is threaded together like fabric each book flows into the other. I like how you can make a story about someone going back in time interesting and not dumb and crappy. I rated it 4 1/2 because I think that the first one was better than this one. ( )
  GriffenP.b4 | Mar 21, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible