Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (224)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (229)
I've been re-reading this one for awhile. It starts out with a bang but the middle section gets a little convoluted and a little dull...I pushed through and the end is sort of abrupt. Overall though the characters grow a lot in this book and you get to see how not perfect Claire and Jaime's relationship is. You get to see how very human these two people are thrust in the middle of a problem that is so much bigger than them. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Dec 1, 2018 |
Wow... That was quite the ending and I think if I didn't realize there was a huge series left still I woulda been more shocked.

Overall enjoyable but I still always find myself wondering why so long with these books? It's engaging but also tiring in some ways to absorb it all.

rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
4.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
The second book in the Outlander series falls short of the modest mark set by the first book.

Like Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber takes a bit to get going, but rather than waiting a mere few chapters, you have to wait until the 3rd or 4th 'part' to get any real action, and even then it's spotty.

Overall, there is far less genuine action in this book than in the first, and it is much more predictable.

The characters we meet are not quite as well crafted as those in the first book, and there is more lazy caricature and less depth in the new characters in book 2. This book also marks the first time we get any major exposure to actual historical figures, and they, too, seem to be a bit of a one-dimensional comic-book version of their real selves.

The also switches point-of-view quickly and clumsily at times; a bother not experienced in the original Outlander.

All of that being said, if you liked the first book and are interested in the series, you MUST read this book. While it was not particularly enjoyable, it is very much necessary. Dragonfly in Amber answers many questions left open in Outlander, and the answering of those questions is perhaps the most satisfying aspect of this book.

This book feels bland as it dutifully ties up loose ends and sets the stage for the 3rd book in the series. I was personally eager for it to be over by the last 40 or 50 pages and was happy to put it down for good, but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm to read the next installment, Voyager.

My wife is on book 5 or 6 and said that Dragonfly in Amber stands as her least favorite of the series, and she is very much enjoying the later books.

So, suffer through the necessary boredom of a sub-par story and quickly jump into the next book, as I plan to do. ( )
  McCarthys | Sep 5, 2018 |
Had a harder time reading this than the original Outlander but a good read.
10/11/14: re-reading.... ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his. Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,807,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible