Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (181)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (186)
Intriguing. Very intriguing. 950 pages to make me read the next book. Ok, Gabaldon. You have me hooked. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
The saga of Jamie and Claire continues--what more can I say? I didn't start reading this series until the STARZ dramatization got me hooked. This second installment gives of more of the same: time travel, romance, men in kilts, political intrigue, battles, Scottish scenery, 17th century customs, social conflict, secrets, and a stint at the French court to boot. We're introduced to Jamie and Claire's daughter Brianna, born after she time traveled from the 1740s back to the late 1940s; it's 1968 when Dragonfly in Amber begins. Claire and her daughter return to the Highlands after her husband Frank's death; she hopes to learn more about the fate of Jamie Fraser (when she left him at the end of Outlander, he was about to go into the doomed Battle of Culloden). I listened to the audiobook and can honestly say that I wondered if it would maintain my interest for almost 40 hours of listening. It did--and the reader, Davina Porter, is wonderful. If you are into the televised series, the second season sticks quite closely to this novel. On to Voyager! ( )
  Cariola | Aug 15, 2016 |
Sequel to Outlander (didn't know and I read it first!) and I loved it. Main character Clair falls down the rabbit hole so to speak into another time from the 20th century to the 18th--1743 exactly. Not a dull minute. ( )
  lhaines56 | Aug 4, 2016 |
Book #2 in Diana Gabaldon's [Outlander Series]. Don't read this review because a spoilers is contained within this review. The is the continuing story of Claire and Jamie, very passionate, especially in the last 2 chapters. Not for the faint of heart. Such good historical fiction. But all good things must come to an end. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Aug 1, 2016 |
I can't stress enough how much I adore this series. Especially in audiobook form... The accents are just brilliant.

As the story of Jamie and Claire continues, I'm getting more and more concerned for them. I'm an anxious person, I can't take this. But I will, obviously. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,133,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible