Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

9,624207299 (4.23)343

English (202)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (207)
This was a reread. I have been wanting to go back and read the whole series. The first time I read it I only got half way through the fifth book. I decided to start with this one since the third season of the show just started last Sunday. I'm really glad I did because there is so much I forgot! These are long books though so I'm planning to read one every few months. It did have a tendency to drag on at times but this is typical of Diana Gabaldon. I didn't become bored or put off by it though. I know that even though while what I am reading might not seem important at the time I know that eventually it will all come together someway! ( )
  KeriLynneD | Sep 18, 2017 |
Book 2 in the Outlander series and you have to get through it to get to the rest of the excellent books. This is my least favorite in the series. This book goes between what happens after Outlander with Claire and Jamie. ( )
  sunnydrk | Sep 15, 2017 |
While the story is a bit more dragging, it is still a wonderful bit of storytelling that just feels real. The Outlander series is easily becoming one of my favorites that keeps me excited to read on. One particular aspect of this series that I love is the combination of genres. It’s not just a historical fiction novel, but a science fiction/fantasy, historical fistion, romance novel. So if you happen to love any of these genres and/or all of them, then this series is for you!

(Full review: https://wildwoodcalling.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/dragonfly-in-amber-review/) ( )
  beckakw | Aug 8, 2017 |
B-. Gabaldon, may be finding her stride. These books are still too long and struggle with pacing. They make me tired to read. There are parts that I enjoy, but I do not think I will read them again. ( )
  fierce_bunny | Jul 30, 2017 |
C+/B-. Marginally better than the first one, but still meh.

The problem is still the pacing. Too much minutiae is taking up too much space. story could have been told in half as many pages. ( )
  fierce_bunny | Jul 30, 2017 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,967,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible