Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

English (171)  German (3)  French (1)  All languages (175)
Picks right up where Outlander ended and the book was great. I know some people complained about the parts of the book that take place in France (personally I still found it interesting) but trust me power through because it is worth it to read the rest of the book and it picks up a lot. I couldn't even guess what is going to happen next but I am excited to find out! ( )
  SweetLiar | May 5, 2016 |
I read Outlander for the first time several years ago (on audio, which I would highly recommend) and wanted to continue the series, but was daunted by the sheer length of all of Gabaldon's books, in addition to the fact that I just had so many other book "obligations" at the time. I didn't feel that I could devote so much reading time to such a long series all at once, so I put the rest of the books on the backburner. Then the television series came out, so I reread Outlander (again, on audio), and my current plan is to read one book per year, right before the TV series resumes. Thus, I just finished Dragonfly in Amber as it's currently being aired on TV.

So to set the scene (mostly for myself), Jamie & Claire have fled to France, where they are on a mission to try to stop Prince Charles Stuart from organizing the Jacobite rebellion, which will ultimately lead to Jamie's death. The first portion of the novel takes place in France, with the second portion taking place back in Scotland after their return. Jamie & Claire's story makes up a majority of the novel, although the beginning & end take place in 1968 Scotland, where Claire has returned with her daughter Brianna to reveal the truth about her father.

I enjoyed this book #2, although at times I couldn't help but think that Gabaldon could've abbreviated things a bit. Some of the scenes tend to drag on with excessive philosophical dialogue or unnecessary detail. Claire's character annoyed me at times as well. But when all is said and done, after finishing the book I do miss the characters and I feel a little separation anxiety after placing the book aside & transitioning to a new, unrelated book. Especially after that cliffhanger ending. Not sure I can wait a whole year to begin with Voyager. ( )
  indygo88 | May 4, 2016 |
Obviously, my favorites are long, well written, historical fiction, with an amazing love story. This is one of the best. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
These books are very long, so my first suggestion to you is to make sure you're up for an in depth long read, and not wanting a fluffy takes a day read.
That being said, I did enjoy the story. I was confused at first because the end of book one did not even hint at where the beginning of book two began. I honestly got more into the book when Claire began telling her tale and we got to go back and see what DID happen to get her there after book one. Many tears were shed in the reading of this book, there definitely times of mourning and sadness and grief.
At the end, I felt more of a sense of a cliffhanger than the first book left me with. Still not so much as to be annoying, or frustrating, but enough to be more obvious to the reader that there is more to the story than what was just read.
I'm taking a small break from the series now, but I do look forward to what book three might hold in store for Claire and her loved ones. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
The first 500 pages of this book absolutely bored me!!! I was very tempted to just throw in the towel but I knew how great Outlander was so I stuck with it. So glad to be done with this one and looking forward to starting the next one. ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,838,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible