dismiss

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland's majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his. Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire's spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves.… (more)

English (236)  German (3)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (242)
I think it took me well over a year to read this tome that dragged on and on. Unfortunately, due to the political and war content, I retained nearly nothing of the story line. I absolutely loved Outlander, but after finally finishing this second book in the series, I find myself questioning what all the hype is about. A very uninteresting read overall for me, it would have been far more enjoyable with a good half of the content removed. ( )
  niquetteb | Apr 2, 2020 |
My favorite love story 😍

Mano mėgstamiausia meilės istorija ( )
  MonikaPR | Feb 15, 2020 |
80 points/100 (4.25 stars/5).
Warning: Cliffhanger (status: SOB NO, WAIT COME BACK)

Presented as a story of the past told te her now adult daughter, Claire and Jamie are doing everything they can to prevent the slaughter to come in Scotland.

A tale of life, this is an impressive story. While I'm still not certain how much I'm enjoying this series, it certain is a very, very impressive tale. This does not seem like it is a tale being told for the sake of telling a story, but because it happened as a part of history and is being catalogued here for us to enjoy. It is happy and it is sad and it is worrisome and it is hopeful, because life itself is. If nothing else, I can commend Gabaldon on making me feel like this is completely real.

I definitely enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed the first installment to this series. I was able to connect to the story more. The kinks have been worked out. I wasn't so concerned with the specifics of time travel except for the beginning and end of the book (more to come on that later). I really was able to just relax and enjoy the story. I was able to enjoy the company of both Claire and Jamie. I was able to grieve with them. I was able to bask in their joy. I was able to seep myself deep into the being Claire.

The opening to this book was weird, because you have no idea what is going on. Outlander ends with them deciding to go to Rome, and this book begins focused on someone you've utterly forgotten existed in book one in 1968, later than when Claire left to go to the past. It actually takes a very long time in book to even begin to understand what is going on in this story. The gist of it being that Claire traveled back to the future at some point for reasons that rapidly become obvious. Like, an hour of story, easily, is devoted to Roger and you don't even really understand that this book isn't going to all be about Roger because that is all it is for the first hour. I was so, so confused.

While I always hoped Claire would go back at some point, I'm not really keen in the manner Gabaldon chose to do it. I hope it gets better in later books, but for right now I'm very, very wary. I never trust time travel, ever (which is a wonder why I even started this series), but I really, really don't trust Gabaldon to mucking about in time. It is too easy to mess up. It is too easy to try to change the way you've set up the way time travel can work. It is too easy to fail. I really, really hope Gabaldon doesn't mess it up. However, the way it appears to be going right now. I hate the way my brain is thinking things are going based off the way the story is written thus. I am, however, glad that I was not left hanging at the end of the book. The first part of the book is all the 1960s, and then it jumps back into the meat of the story. I was afraid that the book would end without ever going back to the 1960s, but I'm really glad I was not left hanging in that way (though there was still the cliffhanger to consider - I'm actually really disappointed that this series contains cliffhangers at all).

On to the story: Claire and Jamie spend a lot of time in France (they never made it to Rome). This was definitely the slowest part to the book. I was really glad when they left France because the story picked up and became more interesting pretty much instantly. The story wasn't bad in France, it was just slow moving without a clear course of direction. It was all very vague: "Whatever we can do to prevent this madness." It felt like it was meandering about without any kind of goal in mind.

Once we got back to Scotland I seriously enjoyed it much more, even though the time was ticking down. It was infinitely more engrossing. I was basically hanging on every word in this part of the book. But, you could practically hear the ticking down of time to the end. Every page you turned got you closer and closer to the part where you feared because you knew what was happening. There is a lot of meandering about in this portion as well, but it was much more focused with a much clearer goal.

I think this story was really hurt by the fact that we know Claire is in 1968 with a child that is nearly 21. It basically spoils itself prematurely. I knew the the major emotional points of the book because they were already told in the first five chapters of the book. We just had to wait for the book to play out as expected. Which is a very special kind of hell I don't wish on many. It was still good, because the book is more about the ending, it is about the journey. There is way more that happens in this book than what is revealed in the first five chapters. It is just... it spoils itself, and I hate spoilers!

This book is still very emotionally heavy, despite the spoilers. There is the happiness. The happiness of their pregnancy, the happiness they gain in themselves, the happiness they experience on all of life's little pleasures one experiences. However, there is the fear of what is to come. There is the utter heartbreak that happens along the way. There is the pain of what has already happened. This is such a wonderfully emotionally charged book that I can't help but say that it is good. Few books can make you feel as many emotions as this book managed to make me feel over the course of the story.

In the beginning I was confused, by the middle I was engaged, by the end I was in tears desperate for it to not end but knowing it had to eventually. I'm going to continue on because I have to know the story, no matter how much I'm wary of time travel. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
OK, I’m gonna start this off by saying that I don’t usually read fiction. And I definitely watched the first two seasons of Outlander before reading these books. However, I’ve never cried from reading a book. I literally was gut wrenched when Claire and Jaime parted. A parting I knew was coming! My insides felt it as if I was the one leaving my love, stomach twisted as if digesting rocks, heart heavy and shrinking in pain.

Damn, Diana. Well done. ( )
  strangelibrarian | Jan 16, 2020 |
Not as compelling as the first two books in the series. This one got off to a *really* slow start but luckily the adventure picked up again. However, while the first two books had the battle at Culloden driving the plot this one seemed a bit meandering and directionless. I was pleasantly surprised by the all the plot twists and how well they worked and how characters you thought were gone or insignificant would show back up. ( )
  nicole_a_davis | Dec 7, 2019 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,512,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible