Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

9,257196323 (4.23)333

English (191)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (196)
When i stared reading Outlander book 2 i thought i had the wrong book yes I'm being serious spoiler alert this book starts out with Claire in the future i know right i was like WTF!!. If you read the first book you know that it ends with Jamie and Claire in a hot spring and she announces that she's pregnant with their first child so how could Claire be back in the future and what the hell happened to my beautiful highlander Jamie well your gonna have to read to find out. This book is basically one big flash back it's been like 20 years and Claire is back in Scotland with her daughter Brianna and she tells the story of the 3 years she spent living in the past with Jamie and the events that led to her being back in the future. this book had me laughing and crying like a damn baby. Once again Diana Gabaldon gives us an amazing story and it leaves you feeling like you've been on and emotional roller coaster. ( )
  mhelissa26 | Mar 8, 2017 |
Very good follow-up to Outlander. ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
After reading the first book we have come to expect a story filled with in-depth characterization and a meandering plot, and this book delivers. The pace is character driven and very creative. Excellent description of the time period and setting, and an imaginative tale of Claire and Jamie's travels. You'll love to see their love grow, despite some painful knots of loss they endure.
I enjoyed the history of Paris, the customs, and dress. The unrest the characters experienced due to the times in Europe with the War of Religions still an afterglow, added to the tension. Taboo topics of the time like rape, sorcery and women rights are touched upon. This author is not afraid of married love scenes, nor does she shy from the horrors many women faced back in that era concerning their treatment.
The story moves from Paris back to Scotland. The war to bring back the old king pulls apart all clan life. The politics and the back stabbing is very complicated and makes for a true political thriller (for the 1700's).
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. Bravo, looking forward to next story in the series. ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Jan 23, 2017 |
I am absolutely in love with JAMMF!

There could not possibly be a better man. I love him what you see is what you get with him. This is one of my favorite lines ever in a book.“I will find you," he whispered in my ear. "I promise. If I must endure two hundred years of purgatory, two hundred years without you - then that is my punishment, which I have earned for my crimes. For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest."

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

Diana Gabaldon is an amazing writer. The story is rich with history and full of deep feelings. I love this series!

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I am absolutely in love with JAMMF!

His voice dropped, nearly to a whisper, and his arms tightened around me.

Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

toni

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible