Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Dragonfly in Amber (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (2)

9,369201315 (4.23)335
Recently added byrebmichi, wombetta, private library, DieterBoehm, vbrja, tnichols7113, lauragpie, loscott13

English (196)  German (3)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (201)
When I read the blurb for the second tome of the Outlander series, I assumed that much of the story would involve Claire's return to 18th century Scotland and Jamie, one of her two husbands. I read that Claire had returned to 20th century Scotland through the same magical stones she entered in the first novel. Jamie sent her back to her present time and modern medicine fearing the health risk to mother and child. It is now about twenty years later, her first husband Frank, who raised Claire's daughter Briana as his own, has died. However, my assumption was wrong. Much of the novel is simply a continuation of Jamie and Claire's life as they flee Scotland to France and their subsequent return to Scotland.

If you are a fan of time travel technology, such as Gregory Benford's Timescape, this is not your novel. Time travel is only a literary device to move the protagonist from one time period to another. Although Gabaldon's descriptions of 17th Scotland and France's aristocracy is detailed and realistic, I still have problem with Claire's ease in acceptance of a more primitive lifestyle. One would believe that Claire's transition to a time period almost a quarter of a millennium ago was nothing more difficult than a vacation in a rustic mountain cabin. I will probably continue to read the series not in the immediate future. ( )
  John_Warner | May 26, 2017 |
Yes, the story sort of lagged in the middle (I was screaming inside for more Jamie, more Jamie!). Then, suddenly, right toward the end, this storyline popped my eyes open! So yes, despite all of the political details throughout that sort of lost me momentarily, Dragonfly in Amber succeeded overall, just like Outlander, in gripping my emotions and squeezing my heart. Definitely well worth the time, overall. ( )
  Pamela_SC | May 24, 2017 |
I love this series. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 24, 2017 |
I am assuming whoever would consider reading "Dragonfly in Amber" has already finished Book 1 of the "Outlander" series… and enjoyed it. "Dragonfly in Amber" is full of surprises- from the opening scene until the very last page- so be prepared. Book 2 doesn’t exactly pick up where "Outlander" ended, though it is a continuation of the Claire/Jamie story which continues to follow the lives of most of the characters involved in Book 1. And when you finish Book 2, I’m confident you will be hungry for more. "Dragonfly in Amber" is even better than "Outlander".

Diana Gabaldon is a master storyteller. She manages to bring even the most absurd plot to life and actually makes it seem realistic because her characters are emotionally believable and seem like authentic people. She excels at dialogue and it is quite enchanting the way she weaves the plot into an intense drama with just the right number of wonderful characters, intrigue and suspense, superstition, historical facts, romance, and humor.

Amidst the ongoing and electrifying drama, the love story of Jamie and Claire continues. Gabaldon sums up the intense love Jamie feels for Claire in one memorable sentence. When she considered leaving him, he had “given her the choice, but kept her with him by the sheer force of his wanting her.”

As one of the characters points out, little information is available to explain the events of 200 years ago. Modern day historians can only imagine the way things really happened. Even though this series of pure fiction includes some magical realism, the saga provides a clear example of just how incomplete our knowledge is today of what occurred in the 1700s. The story opens the imagination to all possibilities. If only we could transport ourselves back in time to experience our own ancestors lives in vivid detail.

While the entire book is very good, the last 100 pages are utterly enthralling as startling facts are revealed, heart breaking decisions are made, and the stage is set for "The Voyager" -Book 3 of the 8 book series. ( )
  LadyLo | May 3, 2017 |

Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schumacher, SonjaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seuß, RitaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steckhan, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal.
For my husband,
Doug Watkins-
in thanks for the Raw Material
I woke three times in the dark predawn.

With her now-classic novel Outlander, Diana Gabaldon introduced two unforgettable characters — Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser—delighting readers with a story of adventure and love that spanned two centuries. Now Gabaldon returns to that extraordinary time and place in this vivid, powerful follow-up to Outlander....

For twenty years Claire Randall has kept her secrets. But now she is returning with her grown daughter to Scotland’s majestic mist-shrouded hills. Here Claire plans to reveal a truth as stunning as the events that gave it birth: about the mystery of an ancient circle of standing stones ... about a love that transcends the boundaries of time ... and about James Fraser, a Scottish warrior whose gallantry once drew a young Claire from the security of her century to the dangers of his....

Now a legacy of blood and desire will test her beautiful copper-haired daughter, Brianna, as Claire’s spellbinding journey of self-discovery continues in the intrigue-ridden Paris court of Charles Stuart ... in a race to thwart a doomed Highlands uprising ... and in a desperate fight to save both the child and the man she loves....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:45 -0400)

In eighteenth-century Scotland, Claire Randall and her raven-haired daughter, Brianna, return to the majestic hills where Claire recalls the love of her life--gallant warrior James Fraser.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,158,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible