Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart…

Brain Rules for Baby: How to Raise a Smart and Happy Child from Zero to…

by John Medina

112None107,352 (4.33)5

Great book! I intend to review this again if I have a kid, and also should check out his other book for adults. ( )
  jcrben | Nov 8, 2012 |
This book was very informative and fun to read. There were many laugh out loud moments. The author presents current neuroscience research in very readable and applicable ways. Amber and I feel that we will be better parents after having read this. A lot of the advice seems easy to apply with some practice.
Key points I want to remember:
-Be empathetic
-Acknowledge and respond to emotions in your children and your partner
-Communicate with your partner and your baby – Talk a lot
-Rules must be consistently enforced between both parents. Punishment must be swift and its rationale must be explained.
-Incorporate music and learning into all aspects of your child’s life if possible

Recommended for (this was too long for the slot below):
-Parents
-Expecting parents
-People planning to be parents one day
-Anyone looking for a potential life partner to raise children with

Special note: For most of the book, I read this out loud to Sebastian and Amber while Sebastian was in the NICU. ( )
  BenjaminHahn | Jun 6, 2012 |
I've just finished reading the book and I think that Dr. John Medina provides a very solid account of early child development which is based on brain science. I can say without a moment's hesitation that I'm more than happy to have found such a highly readable book from a developmental molecular biologist focused on the genes involved in human brain development and the genetics of psychiatric disorder.

Not only does Medina know his field very well but he is also the father of two boys and he doesn't hesitate to blend his personal memories with well-established as well as up-to-date research without becoming academically dry and dull or boringly personal. As soon-to-be father with a cognitive science background I can only appreciate such a powerful combination of these qualities.

Almost every question that the book exposes and tries to answer is either a central question in my life or it'll be within a few years: "What's the single most important thing you can do during pregnancy? What does watching TV do to a child's brain? What's the best way to handle temper tantrums?" and others such as the relationship of empathy and consistency to the developing brain structures which shape our kids' future lives.

The summary section at the end of each chapter as well as an overall summary at the end of the book turns the book into a great source as a quick reference for mothers and fathers `working in the field' (I beg your pardon for the analogy, I just couldn't resist it ;-) . And for those skeptics out there with an academic / scientific background, the book itself does not include a single reference to another book or article; all of the references are moved to the online document at the accompanying web site. 63 pages of references to the scientific literature for your discovery pleasure and further reading.

I would heartily recommend this wonderful book to any parent who wants to learn more about their child's development and do so by relying on well-established scientific results. ( )
  EmreSevinc | Apr 23, 2011 |

What’s the single most important thing you can do during pregnancy? What does watching TV do to a child’s brain? What’s the best way to handle temper tantrums? Scientists know.

In his New York Times bestseller Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina showed us how our brains really work—and why we ought to redesign our workplaces and schools. Now, in Brain Rules for Baby, he shares what the latest science says about how to raise smart and happy children from zero to 5. This book is destined to revolutionize parenting. Just one of the surprises: The best way to get your children into the college of their choice? Teach them impulse control.

Brain Rules for Baby bridges the gap between what scientists know and what parents practice. Through fascinating and funny stories, Medina, a developmental molecular biologist and dad, unravels how a child’s brain develops--and what you can do to optimize it.

You will view your children—and how to raise them—in a whole new light. You’ll learn:

Where nature ends and nurture begins
Why men should do more household chores
What you do when emotions run hot affects how your child turns out
TV is harmful for children under 2
Your child’s ability to relate to others predicts her future math performance
Smart and happy are inseparable. Pursuing your child’s intellectual success at the expense of his happiness achieves neither
Praising effort is better than praising intelligence
The best predictor of academic performance is not IQ. It’s self control

What you do right now—before pregnancy, during pregnancy, and through the first five years—will affect your children for the rest of their lives. Brain Rules for Baby is an indispensable guide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:34 -0400)

Insructs parents on raising intelligent and emotionally stable children, from newborns to toddlers, by encouraging healthy brain activity and development and debunking traditional and contemporary "brain-boosting" methods.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible