Die Schattenritter 01: Unsterbliches…

Die Schattenritter 01: Unsterbliches Verlangen (edition 2009)

by Kathryn Smith, Sabine Schilasky (Übersetzer)

Member:juli62
Title:Die Schattenritter 01: Unsterbliches Verlangen
Authors:Kathryn Smith
Other authors:Sabine Schilasky (Übersetzer)
Info:Knaur TB (2009), Taschenbuch, 400 Seiten
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy, Vampire

Be Mine Tonight by Kady Cross

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: The black dagger brotherhood, much better!

Be Mine Tonight
3.5 Stars

Synopsis
In 1307, six knights break into a Templar stronghold in search of the Holy Grail only to be turned into vampires when they inadvertently drink from the Blood Grail. 700 years later, the Blood Grail is in danger of being unearthed once again and the warrior known as Chapel must travel to Tintagel England to thwart the attempt. Once there, he encounters Prudence Ryland, a feisty young woman desperate to obtain the grail for her own reasons, and is torn between saving the woman he has come to love or allowing her to be cursed as he once was.

Review
An original mix of Arthurian and biblical motifs but there are also some predictable moments.

The writing flows but lacks that immersing quality that would make it excellent. The story gets off to an exciting start but slows down and takes a while to get back on track toward the end.

The romance is the focus of the book and it is sweet and tender with some spicy moments that contribute to the natural progression of Chapel and Pru's relationship. Pru is witty, sarcastic and direct and is a good contrast with the dark, brooding and sexy Chapel, who is an endearing character although he does have a tendency to wallow in self pity too often.

The thing that irritated me the most was the portrayal of Pru's illness. She is supposedly dying of cancer, but except for one or two incidents, carries on regardless. While this may be explained by her desire to live life to the fullest, it is unrealistic. Moreover, even though the descriptions of Pru's sense of loss and sadness at missing out on life, love and family are touching, there is no sense of urgency regarding her impending death and dire need to be saved.

The conspiracy plot is weak and underdeveloped as there is no real quest or sense of adventure, excitement or danger. The origins and agenda of the mysterious Order of the Silver Palm are never described or explained.

The secondary characters are superficial - Pru's sisters are interchangeable and while Marcus and Molyneux are interesting, it is obvious that their role will remain small. The other Knights (love their names - Bishop, Saint, Reign and Temple) are compelling even though they don't actually make an appearance in the book and I am interested enough to read their stories.

Despite its shortcomings, this is a good introduction to a series that has definite potential and I will be continuing on to the next installment, which is Bishop's book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Apr 2, 2013 |
I actually hate giving this book 3 stars because I whole heartedly believe in the potential of the series. The world-building, the setting, the mythology use-it's all very intriguing. But this book fell short.

Chapel became a vampire when he drank from a mystical cup known as the Blood Grail, having mistaken it for the Holy Grail. Six hundred years later, in the year 1899, Pru Ryeland is searching for the Holy Grail in hopes of curing her terminal illness. Chapel fears that what she will actually find is the Blood Grail and that she will become cursed as he believes he is cursed. But as he begins to fall in love with Pru, his belief in his own soul-less nature is challenged.

The use of history and mythology is fun, interesting, and well put together. The time period and setting is rich and unique, and in fact is one of the few things that sets this book apart from other paranormal writings.

Chapel is a surprisingly sexy, if somewhat frustrating character. He is loyal, determined, and fun. His love for Pru is heartbreaking.

First of all, Pru's terminal illness is-it's never given an exact name, so I assume uterine cancer-the biggest plot point/conflict in the book. I am not at all making light of cancer but it's presence in the story is,dare I say, drawn out to the point of dull? We expect her to be saved, obviously, whether she finds the Holy Grail or becomes a vampire. But it takes THE ENTIRE BOOK. We are forced to watch Chapel hem, haw, and struggle with his own self-pity while the love of his life suffers unnecessary pain.

And Pru's cancer is a seriously painful one. I don't know how well Smith researched the disease but I happen to know from what I've witnessed that 1)Even early stage cancer patients are often exhausted, suffer from easy bruising, and tend to have compromised immune systems, and 2) The physical reality of advanced uterine cancer does not usually allow for any kind of comfortable sexual relationship. So the fact that Pru is so active right up until the very end is seriously problematic.

Despite all of this, I still have high hopes for the series. While I did not care for the terminal illness plot-line, I enjoyed Smith's style and imagination. ( )
  fairypenguin | May 16, 2010 |
For centuries Chapel has served as a holy warrior, hiding himself away from human contact. Now he's forced to travel to England where an ancient evil may be awakened. Prudence Ryland almost out of hope. She desperately needs a miracle and thinks she might have found it. But she's about to discover that the greatest miracle awaits her in Chapel's arms. All she has to do is make her reluctant vampire believe in the power of true love. ( )
  amarynt | Dec 6, 2008 |
A very interesting book. I haven't been that interested in historicals lately, but this one was set around the turn of the century and featured some history from the mid-1100's an era of time I am interested in. It had some of the elements of the Templars who I find fascinating and also vampires which I enjoy reading. This was a sweet and sexy book. Pru is dying of cancer and wants to find the Holy Grail in hopes of prolonging her life. When this quest brings here close, Chapel becomes part of the story. Chapel was turned to a vampire a long time ago when he drank from what he thought was the Holy Grail, but was instead the Unholy Grail. He has now vowed to protect others from drinking from this. In this book we get brief introductions to the other brothers in the brotherhood of the blood, just enought to whet our appetite, but this book is mainly about Chapel and Pru and Pru's family. A very engaging book that I am glad I read ( )
  reading_crystal | Mar 24, 2008 |
Chapel is a centuries old vampire, who was turned into one by drinking from the Blood Grail believing it to be the Holy Grail. Thinking himself a demon he has lived his years in the service of the Catholic Church. His primary goal is to keep the Blood Grail out of the wrong hands.

Prudence is the youngest of four girls, at only 22 she is dying of cancer. She isn't ready to die though and sets out in hopes of finding the mysterious Holy Grail, since it is widely believed that sipping from the grail will grant a person eternal life.

Word of Prudence's search for the Holy Grail reaches the Church and a priest along with Chapel are sent to England to make sure that it is indeed the Holy grail that Prudence thinks she may find not the Blood Grail. When Chapel gets there he meets Prudence and is immediately attracted to her, which poses a problem because he is a vampire.

For complete review click the following link.

http://cupidschokeholds.blogspot.com/2007/12/be-mine-tonight.html ( )
  cupid | Dec 19, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060848367, Mass Market Paperback)

I am called Chapel . . .

For nearly six centuries I have roamed the night, a mortal man no longer. Would that I could undo the past -- when I entered the sanctuary of the Knights Templar to wrest from them the Holy Grail, only to discover the chalice I raised to my lips was not the sacred relic but a hellish cup of damnation. Now I shun the day and all things human, driven by an ungodly thirst. And yet...

Never have I known a maiden the like of Prudence Ryland, whose beauty and spirit awaken a heart I feared long cold and dead. But her young life is slipping away, and she also seeks the deliverance of the Grail -- unaware that the cost of her search could be her soul. I must help Prudence, for in six hundred years, no other woman has stirred my passions so. But dare I tender to my beloved that which she most desires -- the sensuous "gift" of forever that is both rapture and a curse: my immortal kiss?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:12 -0400)

Cursed to a nightmarish existence as a vampire after drinking from a hellish cup of damnation rather than the Holy Grail, Chapel has spent nearly six centuries roaming the night alone, until he encounters Prudence Ryland, a beautiful but dying young woman seeking the promised deliverance of the Grail.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,823,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible