Drums of autumn by Diana Gabaldon

Drums of autumn (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Diana Gabaldon

8,196128622 (4.23)231
Member:susang5371
Title:Drums of autumn
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:London : Century, 1997.

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (1997)

English (124)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (127)
There are those books that you read once, enjoy, are glad for the distraction provided from one’s everyday life, and then put on your shelf to gather dust, or donate to the “give one take one” shelf at work. Then there are those books that you read, sneak moments to read whenever you can, put on your shelf, take off your shelf to read again, and again. These are the books that you guiltily refuse to loan to friends for fear of not having access to them when you want to crack the cover next. Yet, you emphatically encourage anyone you meet to quickly read this marvelous, epic tale. The books from Diana Gabaldon’s “Outlander” series fall into this latter category.

Drums of Autumn finally brings the Fraser’s into the American Colonies. As someone who lives in North Carolina, and is married to a red-haired descendant of those European Immigrants to the North Carolina “highlands,” I love how these novels, from “Drums of Autumn” on, provide a glimpse of what life was like for my husband’s ancestors. At the same time, I find the characters to be intensely relatable with their motivations, fears, hopes, frustrations, and moments of pure joy. Gabaldon has a gift for imparting true family dynamics into her story, and making the reader feel as though she or he is member of that family, or at least a fly on the wall.

This installment has the same level of adventure and angst as its predecessors with less of the supernatural found in “Voyager.” However, adding two additional “travelers” from the 20th century allows the reader to more deeply explore the differences and similarities between the two times. Also, in the relationship between Bree and Roger Gabaldon explores some of the layers of love and brokenness that can enter into a relationship in a way that allows the reader to connect deeply to the characters.

You will not regret joining the Fraser family on their journey into the new world. ( )
  Corrine333 | Feb 21, 2019 |
After Voyager, Drums of Autumn is a breath of fresh air. Thank God! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
A daughter's love for her mother sends her down a rabbit hole she never thought she'd go down.
This is the 4th book in the Outlander series. And while I liked most of the plot, this is still not my favorite book. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jan 28, 2019 |
The first time I tried to read the Outlander series, I had to stop after this one because it's a WHOPPER of a book. "Spirit walking with a dead time-traveling Native American after finding his skull" kind of a whopper. "Little House levels of descriptions of frontier living" kind of a whopper. "Excerpts from a sociopathic witch's 'grimoire'" kind of a whopper. "Explicit rape scene and extensive trauma recovery" kinda whopper. And I could GO ON?? I remember finishing it the first time, trying to start Fiery Cross, seeing the first chapter of that books picks up almost exactly where this one leaves off, and going "I NEED A BREAK." That was 4 years ago. Anyway, upon re-read, it's still long, and often heavy, and not aging super well, but the core cast of characters remain deeply likable and addictively crisis-prone. Also, it has some of my very, very favorite scenes in the whole series thus far during John and Bri's fake engagement. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
I enjoyed it but it isn't worth reading unless you have read the other books and are already invested in the story of Claire and Jamie. This one changes point of view between the various characters instead of just staying with Claire. The jumping around didn't bother me but it was confusing at times and a few story lines got dropped when the point of view changed. I was frustrated with how long it took to find out what Jamie and Ian had done to Roger. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal
This book turned out to have a lot to do with fathers, and so it's for my own father, Tony Gabaldon, who also tells stories.
I've never been afraid of ghosts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Set in pre-Revolutionary War America, readers finally have the much awaited fourth book in what will probably become a six book series (The Outlander series). The talented Diana Gabaldon continues Claire and Jamie's romantic love affair, and introduces Brianna and Roger's story. Eight hundred pages, and several wonderful new characters later, we wonder why we were waiting for a conclusion. It'll be a long wait for book five, so I recommend you go back and reread Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager to keep yourself sane.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:51 -0400)

A Scottish couple travels back in time to Charleston on the eve of the American revolution and seeks peace and freedom in the mountain wilderness.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible