Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Drums of Autumn (Outlander) by Diana…

Drums of Autumn (Outlander) (original 1997; edition 2001)

by Diana Gabaldon (Author)

Member:Blondie539
Title:Drums of Autumn (Outlander)
Authors:Diana Gabaldon (Author)
Info:Delta (2001), Edition: Later Printing, 928 pages

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (1997)

English (123)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (126)
After Voyager, Drums of Autumn is a breath of fresh air. Thank God! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
A daughter's love for her mother sends her down a rabbit hole she never thought she'd go down.
This is the 4th book in the Outlander series. And while I liked most of the plot, this is still not my favorite book. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jan 28, 2019 |
The first time I tried to read the Outlander series, I had to stop after this one because it's a WHOPPER of a book. "Spirit walking with a dead time-traveling Native American after finding his skull" kind of a whopper. "Little House levels of descriptions of frontier living" kind of a whopper. "Excerpts from a sociopathic witch's 'grimoire'" kind of a whopper. "Explicit rape scene and extensive trauma recovery" kinda whopper. And I could GO ON?? I remember finishing it the first time, trying to start Fiery Cross, seeing the first chapter of that books picks up almost exactly where this one leaves off, and going "I NEED A BREAK." That was 4 years ago. Anyway, upon re-read, it's still long, and often heavy, and not aging super well, but the core cast of characters remain deeply likable and addictively crisis-prone. Also, it has some of my very, very favorite scenes in the whole series thus far during John and Bri's fake engagement. ( )
  epaulettes | Jan 3, 2019 |
I enjoyed it but it isn't worth reading unless you have read the other books and are already invested in the story of Claire and Jamie. This one changes point of view between the various characters instead of just staying with Claire. The jumping around didn't bother me but it was confusing at times and a few story lines got dropped when the point of view changed. I was frustrated with how long it took to find out what Jamie and Ian had done to Roger. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
Another year, another book in the Outlander series read. This one, #4, picks up where the last one left off, with Jamie & Claire carving out life in America (North Carolina, specifically) in the mid-18th century. Meanwhile, back in the 20th century, Brianna discovers some disturbing news in an old newspaper clipping and sets off for the stone circle, determined to find her parents, leaving Roger in the lurch. He follows shortly afterward, and the adventure in America begins.

As with the other books in this series, it's the time travel element that I enjoy most, and unfortunately there's not enough of it for my liking. These books are monsters in length and they take some time to devour, although I do continue to enjoy Davina Porter's narration in the audiobooks. The plot is sometimes a little outrageous, and I can live with that, but the truth is that these books are really just longer than they need to be. That and the fact that I really have trouble liking the lead female characters. Claire has always annoyed me to some degree, and I frankly just really disliked Brianna in this book. She's just a selfish, spoiled brat, full of righteous indignation, used to getting her way, and overreacting at every little turn of events. I get it that some characters are written to be disliked, but her character seems especially overdramatic. Enough already.

As with the past few years, I've been reading each installment of Outlander prior to its TV adaptation, and I'm anxious to see how the writers & producers will bring this one to life. I'm currently undecided as to whether or not I'll continue reading. I may opt to skip the rest of the books and just enjoy the TV series instead. ( )
  indygo88 | Oct 8, 2018 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schnell, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Er verdwijnen altijd wel ergens mensen. De meeste vermisten worden uiteindelijk teruggevonden, dood of levend. Voor verdwijningen bestaan nu eenmaal verklaringen. Meestal
This book turned out to have a lot to do with fathers, and so it's for my own father, Tony Gabaldon, who also tells stories.
I've never been afraid of ghosts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044022425X, Mass Market Paperback)

Set in pre-Revolutionary War America, readers finally have the much awaited fourth book in what will probably become a six book series (The Outlander series). The talented Diana Gabaldon continues Claire and Jamie's romantic love affair, and introduces Brianna and Roger's story. Eight hundred pages, and several wonderful new characters later, we wonder why we were waiting for a conclusion. It'll be a long wait for book five, so I recommend you go back and reread Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager to keep yourself sane.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:51 -0400)

A Scottish couple travels back in time to Charleston on the eve of the American revolution and seeks peace and freedom in the mountain wilderness.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,517,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible