Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Snow Crash (1992)

by Neal Stephenson

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon, Anonymous user)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
    Omnitopia Dawn: Omnitopia #1 by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (Torikton)

English (223)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (228)
Loved this book. I have no fucking clue what was going on in this book, but I loved it nonetheless. Stephenson's style is just so addicting. And, his vision of the future is bloody well fascinating.

It's about... Fuck, I have no clue. Some virus or something? A race against time, maybe? Save the world against some hacker's ultimate armageddon clusterfuck? Something like that. It's all a blur.

But, that blur was such an awesome journey. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I think this was the weirdest book I've ever read.

I mean that mostly in a good way. The cynical/sarcastic/satirical style of writing made me laugh out loud on several occasions, and it just made for a fun read overall. I'm one of those people who is easily entertained by certain styles of wording, and this book didn't disappoint on that front. The setup and worldbuilding were almost a joke, but it was a joke that might turn into reality one of these days - who knows. The concept of the Metaverse was really interesting, especially considering the book was written when our modern internet was just coming into existence.

It was also weird in a not-as-good way, hence the 4 star rating. I've never been much of a fan of mythology in the first place, and the fact that it was all woven into a cyberpunk story about hackers and computer viruses didn't do a lot for me. It reminded me of the First Civilization characters from Assassin's Creed and I've always thought they were really annoying.

I probably would have never picked this book up if I just found it on a shelf somewhere so I'm glad I was forced to read it for a lit class. I totally would have missed out.

And what is it about mafia dons always being such awesome, badass characters? This is like the 3rd thing I've read/watched/written lately starring a really cool mobster character ( )
  EJFisch | Feb 28, 2015 |
This is really interesting very good book that reminds me of Stephenson's Reamde. It just compounds events in funny ways with a tidy(and quick ending, there is no falling action for this book). Mostly I was in awe from imagining writing it,a lot of the ideas seen halfway almost plausible (although you see Stephenson's anarchist view). He has such an artful way of surrounding you in a universe so I prefer the baroque series since I can feel like I'm with the scientists (it's great when learning science to feel like you know Newton)

It won't fail you in being entertaining ( )
  Lorem | Jan 24, 2015 |
Highly entertaining. Snow Crash is packed with interesting ideas and funny moments and has a good tempo. Recommended to cyberpunk fans and mere mortals alike. ( )
  Noa.Tamir | Dec 28, 2014 |
  Noa.Tamir | Dec 28, 2014 |
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.

Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader

A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b. The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash v....--intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380958, Paperback)

From the opening line of his breakthrough cyberpunk novel Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson plunges the reader into a not-too-distant future. It is a world where the Mafia controls pizza delivery, the United States exists as a patchwork of corporate-franchise city-states, and the Internet--incarnate as the Metaverse--looks something like last year's hype would lead you to believe it should. Enter Hiro Protagonist--hacker, samurai swordsman, and pizza-delivery driver. When his best friend fries his brain on a new designer drug called Snow Crash and his beautiful, brainy ex-girlfriend asks for his help, what's a guy with a name like that to do? He rushes to the rescue. A breakneck-paced 21st-century novel, Snow Crash interweaves everything from Sumerian myth to visions of a postmodern civilization on the brink of collapse. Faster than the speed of television and a whole lot more fun, Snow Crash is the portrayal of a future that is bizarre enough to be plausible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:18 -0400)

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality? But now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,294,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible