No title (1992)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (Author) (1992)

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon, Anonymous user)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    Omnitopia Dawn: Omnitopia #1 by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
    The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (ecureuil)
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (Torikton)

English (226)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (231)
As with all Stephenson books, this novel proves imaginative and compelling. A well-established futuristic society nestled within the United States is a great setting for an Internet-era showdown among rivaling factions. There is plenty of action and intrigue that builds among the major characters, creating enjoyable narrative tension. Originally published in the 1990s, this novel still projects a possible future that may not be all that far away for us. ( )
  Meghanista | Jun 27, 2015 |
A classic of science fiction and cyber punk, this is the first Neal Stepenson I've read. It had some impressively prescient ideas for when it was published in the early 90s, but I'm not sure when this book was mean to be set. Someone reading this in 1995 would have found this even more fantastical than I did. The most interesting ideas were about virtual reality, the shrinking of the microchip and it's computing power exponentially increasing. I also liked dangerous concept of Library of Congress merging with intelligence arm of the government and turning into a warehouse of digital information. In New Zealand, our national library recently became a subsidiary of the Internal Affairs department, so this could happen to us eventually! The huge social and societal changes were less understandable, but maybe because I'm not an American this was harder to undersand. I didn't really understand any of the characters, and this seemed more like a bunch of cool ideas than one coherent novel. One of the least palatable aspects is the 15 year old character's explicit and detailed sex scene. I may eventually read some other Stephenson but if this was a good place to start I have my doubts. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Jun 20, 2015 |
The historical background discussions went on at length at points, but I enjoyed the story to be sure, particularly the author's style and subtle comedy. Nothing was taken too seriously, and I found myself laughing a number of times, unexpectedly. ( )
  yuriken | Jun 4, 2015 |
Loved this book. I have no fucking clue what was going on in this book, but I loved it nonetheless. Stephenson's style is just so addicting. And, his vision of the future is bloody well fascinating.

It's about... Fuck, I have no clue. Some virus or something? A race against time, maybe? Save the world against some hacker's ultimate armageddon clusterfuck? Something like that. It's all a blur.

But, that blur was such an awesome journey. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I think this was the weirdest book I've ever read.

I mean that mostly in a good way. The cynical/sarcastic/satirical style of writing made me laugh out loud on several occasions, and it just made for a fun read overall. I'm one of those people who is easily entertained by certain styles of wording, and this book didn't disappoint on that front. The setup and worldbuilding were almost a joke, but it was a joke that might turn into reality one of these days - who knows. The concept of the Metaverse was really interesting, especially considering the book was written when our modern internet was just coming into existence.

It was also weird in a not-as-good way, hence the 4 star rating. I've never been much of a fan of mythology in the first place, and the fact that it was all woven into a cyberpunk story about hackers and computer viruses didn't do a lot for me. It reminded me of the First Civilization characters from Assassin's Creed and I've always thought they were really annoying.

I probably would have never picked this book up if I just found it on a shelf somewhere so I'm glad I was forced to read it for a lit class. I totally would have missed out.

And what is it about mafia dons always being such awesome, badass characters? This is like the 3rd thing I've read/watched/written lately starring a really cool mobster character ( )
  EJFisch | Feb 28, 2015 |
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.

Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader

A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian

Stephenson, NealAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b. The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash v....--intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380958, Paperback)

From the opening line of his breakthrough cyberpunk novel Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson plunges the reader into a not-too-distant future. It is a world where the Mafia controls pizza delivery, the United States exists as a patchwork of corporate-franchise city-states, and the Internet--incarnate as the Metaverse--looks something like last year's hype would lead you to believe it should. Enter Hiro Protagonist--hacker, samurai swordsman, and pizza-delivery driver. When his best friend fries his brain on a new designer drug called Snow Crash and his beautiful, brainy ex-girlfriend asks for his help, what's a guy with a name like that to do? He rushes to the rescue. A breakneck-paced 21st-century novel, Snow Crash interweaves everything from Sumerian myth to visions of a postmodern civilization on the brink of collapse. Faster than the speed of television and a whole lot more fun, Snow Crash is the portrayal of a future that is bizarre enough to be plausible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:09 -0400)

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality? But now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,904,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible