Snow Crash (Bantam Spectra Book) by Neal…

Snow Crash (Bantam Spectra Book) (original 1992; edition 2000)

by Neal Stephenson

13,473None157 (4.16)471
Member:gregstark
Title:Snow Crash (Bantam Spectra Book)
Authors:Neal Stephenson
Info:Spectra (2000), Paperback, 440 pages
Collections:Read in 2012, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:American, computers, cyberpunk, cyberspace, dystopia, fantasy, fiction, future, hackers, humor, internet, linguistics, metaverse, Neal Stephenson, near future, science fiction, sf, speculative fiction, technology, virtual reality

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (1992)

20th century (44) American (56) computers (69) cyberpunk (1,082) cyberspace (57) dystopia (134) ebook (55) fantasy (65) fiction (1,149) future (61) hackers (62) humor (42) internet (55) linguistics (50) metaverse (57) Neal Stephenson (44) near future (49) novel (160) own (67) paperback (51) read (232) religion (51) science fiction (2,329) sf (352) sff (106) speculative fiction (68) technology (56) to-read (143) unread (72) virtual reality (191)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (moonstormer)
    Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (davesmind, jbgryphon)
    davesmind: Although Snow Crash is a classic of cyberpunk, I think Ready Player One has a more captivating story - especially if you played video games in the 80's
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (JFDR)
    Count Zero by William Gibson (thebookpile)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (thehoodedone)
    Halting State by Charles Stross (infiniteletters)
    Omnitopia Dawn: Omnitopia #1 by Diane Duane (pammab)
    pammab: To explore the possibilities of virtual reality in the near future. Duane's is much more traditional and pro-corporate fantasy; Stephenson's is more humor-based anti-corporate cyberpunk.
    The Stone Canal by Ken MacLeod (bsackerman)
    The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson (atrautz)
    The Star Fraction by Ken MacLeod (Noisy)
    Noisy: Anarchy viewed from both sides of the fence. 'Snow Crash' offers the capitalist view and 'The Star Fraction' offers the socialist counterpart.
    This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities by Jim Rossignol (infiniteletters)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (romula)
    Virtual Light by William Gibson (Moehrendorf)
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (Torikton)

English (210)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (215)
Modern sci-fi classic. Famous for its predictions of future technologies of online, virtual reality and avatars. The writing is not subtle, but energetic and entertaining.
  ohernaes | Mar 30, 2014 |
An interesting although somewhat confusing romp through cyber land. Not necessarily my type of fiction but would appeal to the cyberpunk crowd. ( )
  Neverwithoutabook | Feb 25, 2014 |
After a slightly grim failed attempt at Anathem, I was a little worried about starting Snow Crash. I needn't have been! Enough quirky, humorous, and just downright fascinating elements to avoid reading as straight sci-fi cyberpunk, there were a lot of moments that just made me grin. I love his ability to take a crazy, slightly surreal idea and just run with it, and all of the early world building in particular was just good fun. Towards the end, all of the fight scenes and lengthy expositions had me verging on dropping the rating, but it all pulled together into a fun and interesting read. ( )
  evilmoose | Jan 6, 2014 |
I read this when it first came out, and I was just overwhelmed with it. Fabulous plot, interesting characters, and it was new and fresh.

My copy went missing some time or other, and someone was kind enough to trade this in at the bookstore I visit. I'm glad I was searching their catalog, because it can't have been there more than a day. Beautiful copy, in new condition. Thank you, random stranger! ( )
  Lyndatrue | Nov 29, 2013 |
One of the most exhilarating and satisfying conclusions of any book I've read, movie I've seen, or game I've played. My breath caught more than once, and many times my heart rate climbed with the intense moments. This may finally beat out Dune as my favorite sci fi novel of all time. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |
Hiro Protagonist (who has chosen his own name, of course) turns out to be entertaining company, and Mr. Stephenson turns out to be an engaging guide to an onrushing tomorrow that is as farcical as it is horrific.

Stephenson has not stepped, he has vaulted onto the literary stage with this novel.
added by GYKM | editLos Angeles Reader

A cross between Neuromancer and Thomas Pynchon's Vineland. This is no mere hyperbole.
added by GYKM | editSan Francisco Bay Guardian

Neal Stephensonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davis, JonathanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
snow n. . . . 2.a. Anything resembling snow. b The white specks on a television screen resulting from weak reception.

crash --intr. . . . 5. To fail suddenly, as a business or an economy.
---The American Heritage Dictionary

virus. . . . [L. virus slimy liquid, poison, offensive odor or taste.] 1. Venom, such as is emitted by a poisonous animal. 2. Path a. A morbid principle or poisonous substance produced in the body as the result of some disease, esp. one capable of being introduced into other persons or animals by inoculations or otherwise and of developing the same disease in them. . . . 3. fig. A moral or intellectual poison, or poisonous influence.
--The Oxford English Dictionary
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He's got esprit up to here.
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
When you are wrestling for possession of a sword, the man with the handle always wins.
"Did you win your sword fight?"
"Of course I won the fucking sword fight," Hiro says. "I'm the greatest sword fighter in the world."
"And you wrote the software."
"Yeah. That, too," Hiro says.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553380958, Paperback)

From the opening line of his breakthrough cyberpunk novel Snow Crash, Neal Stephenson plunges the reader into a not-too-distant future. It is a world where the Mafia controls pizza delivery, the United States exists as a patchwork of corporate-franchise city-states, and the Internet--incarnate as the Metaverse--looks something like last year's hype would lead you to believe it should. Enter Hiro Protagonist--hacker, samurai swordsman, and pizza-delivery driver. When his best friend fries his brain on a new designer drug called Snow Crash and his beautiful, brainy ex-girlfriend asks for his help, what's a guy with a name like that to do? He rushes to the rescue. A breakneck-paced 21st-century novel, Snow Crash interweaves everything from Sumerian myth to visions of a postmodern civilization on the brink of collapse. Faster than the speed of television and a whole lot more fun, Snow Crash is the portrayal of a future that is bizarre enough to be plausible.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:18 -0400)

In the future the only relief from the sea of logos is the computer-generated universe of virtual reality? But now a strange computer virus, called Snow Crash, is striking down hackers, leaving an unlikely young man as humankind's last hope.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible