I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by…

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey (2010)

by Izzeldin Abuelaish

This is an important book. It is inspiring and heartbreaking, true and unbelievable. Dr Izzeldin Abuelaish is a Gaza Doctor , a brilliant ,educated doctor and father of 8, who travels between the Gaza strip and Israel during war. He details what daily life is like He is a one man task force for change for dialogue for peace between the Palestinian people and the Israeli people. Not even the death by a bomb of 3 of his children will he allow hate to enter his conciousness. He holds a lifelong belief that "out of bad comes something good". He sees their death as a foundation for change, a chance to open dialogue between two peoples who are fundamentally more alike then different. His book is a call to all of us to care ,to be aware ,and to affect change. Very powerfull reading. ( )
  Smits | Mar 2, 2014 |
Whether or not you have a particular interest in Palestine and Israel, I beg you, read this book. Dr. Abuelaish is a true inspiration in the struggle for peace in the area, a believer in education and health care and the value of women in society. I am devastated by his loss and amazed by his compassion. ( )
  kshroyer | Mar 30, 2013 |
This is a powerful book with a powerful message. Peace! Through mutual respect and forgiveness.
Gaza Strip- 25 miles long, 7 miles wide (1.5 million people).
This author grew up in a refugee camp, filled with misunderstanding and hate. He always knew there was a better way and set out to find it.
He told the story of the Palestinians- in his family 11 people in 9 feet by 9 feet room, no electricity, no water, no toilet.
As the conflict worsened between the Israelis and Palestinians, he continued to see the similarities of these people. He refused to see any situation as hopeless. There are extremists on both sides.
When he graduated as a doctor, mostly he worked away from home. The complications of border crossing boggles the mind.
His wife died of cancer and he was unable to get home easily. His three daughters were murdered by missiles in their bedroom.
But the Quran teaches to endure suffering patiently and forgive. The author lives in Toronto now and still believes everything happens for a reason.
He believes revenge and hatred do not work.
People must build bridges. ( )
  bettyroche | Mar 16, 2013 |
I Shall Not Hate smashed away my preconceptions about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I give it a clear five stars, not for its perfunctory three star delivery but for the powerhouse impact that it delivers in the final chapters when describing the death of the author's daughters.

I Shall Not Hate opens a window into the world of Gaza that most of us probably don't even realize exists. With patient, matter of fact style, Abuelaish explains the extent to which Palestinians are deprived from the most basic human liberties like freedom to travel to a hospital. He has seen and suffered enough to warrant understandable hatred, yet as a doctor Abuelaish refuses to see monsters.

"My core values, which are essentially medical, tell me that people are people."

After three of his children and a niece are killed by the senseless shelling of his home by Israel, he writes:

"We struggled together, my children and I, and I tried to respond to the chorus of people calling for Israeli blood to atone for the deaths of my girls. One said, 'Don’t you hate the Israelis?' Which Israelis am I supposed to hate? I replied. The doctors and nurses I work with? The ones who are tryng to save Ghaida’s life and Shatha’s eyesight? The babies I have delivered? Families like the Madmoonys who gave me work and shelter when I was a kid?"

He backs up this attitude with practical and ground level solutions, including a liberal approach (for Palestinians) to empowering women, who he regards as essential for a peaceful future.

Abuelaish was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. I’d vote for him. ( )
  madcurrin | Mar 10, 2013 |
Izzeldin Abuelaish is an amazing man, who is raising equally amazing children. He has has made a conscious decision not to hate Israel or the Israelis even after years of suppression, humiliation, and finally the attack on his family causing the death of three of his daughters and one of his nieces.

I've read another book about Palestine, but it didn't have the wealth of information on the day-to-day living that this one has. The Gaza Strip is 25 miles long, 9 miles wide at its widest, and 4 miles wide at its narrowest point. It has the highest population density in the world. What an awful place to live, where the inhabitants are packed in like sardines, and the water, electricity, gas, and daily movements are TOTALLY CONTROLLED by Israel, which consistently closes the borders to everything and everyone, invade and bombs the area, and when forced by the UN and others to wage a small peace, constantly breaks its word to allow supplies, people, and aid to flow into the area.

This is a very interesting and well written book about one man who chose to educate himself well beyond the norm and live and work in both Israel and Palestine, subjecting himself to both constant humiliation and new opportunities. Recommended. ( )
1 vote whymaggiemay | Dec 23, 2012 |
Many in his situation would have descended into a dark, lonely pit of grief and bitterness. But Abuelaish not only rebuilt a life for himself and his surviving five children, he has written a moving and powerful book about his experiences with a central message of hope and reconciliation.

added by SqueakyChu | editGuardian, Harriet Sherwood (Aug 15, 2010)

Izzeldin Abuelaish first caught international attention during the Gaza War of 2008-09. The Israeli military had banned foreign media from entering Gaza, and so Abuelaish, a resident of Jabalia refugee camp at the time, became an essential source for the daily goings-on inside the war zone..... The strength of this book – and there are many reasons why it is one of the most affecting I have read on the subject of Israel and Palestine – is its personal angle. It tells the story of a man who grew up and raised eight children in the most densely populated, and one of the most impoverished, parts of the world: Gaza. His story is important not only for its message of peace, but for the fact that it personalizes the Palestinian experience....This gripping memoir suggests the best solutions for peace are emerging from the grassroots; time and again, politicians on both sides of the wall have let us down

Izzeldin Abuelaishprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glezerman, MarekForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents- my mother, Dalal, and my father, Mohammad
To the memory of my wife, Nadia, my daughters, Bessan, Mayar and Aya, and my niece Noor
To children everywhere. Their only weapons are love and hope....
It was as close to heaven and as far from hell as I could get that day, an isolated stretch of beach just four kilometres from the misery of Gaza City, where waves roll up on the shore as if to wash away yesterday and leave a fresh start for tommorow.
...you shouldn't hate something you don't know, because it may turn out to be the bearer of your greatest fortune.
If I could know that my daughters were the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis, then I would accept their loss.

By turns inspiring and heart-breaking, hopeful and horrifying, I Shall Not Hate is Izzeldin Abuelaish's account of an extraordinary life. A Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor who was born and raised in the Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Strip and "who has devoted his life to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians" (New York Times), Abuelaish has been crossing the lines in the sand that divide Israelis and Palestinians for most of his life - as a physician who treats patients on both sides of the line, as a humanitarian who sees the need for improved health and education for women as the way forward in the Middle East. And, most recently, as the father whose daughters were killed by Israeli soldiers on January 16, 2009, during Israel's incursion into the Gaza Strip. His response to this tragedy made news and won him humanitarian awards around the world. Instead of seeking revenge or sinking into hatred, Abuelaish called for the people in the region to start talking to each other. His deepest hope is that his daughters will be "the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:04 -0400)

Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor Izzeldin Abuelaish's recounts his extraordinary life of devotion to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians.

94 wanted3 pay4 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

I Shall Not Hate by Izzeldin Abuelaish was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible