I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's…

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and… (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Izzeldin Abuelaish

Member:Heduanna
Title:I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey on the Road to Peace and Human Dignity (Center Point Platinum Nonfiction)
Authors:Izzeldin Abuelaish
Info:Center Point Pub (2011), Edition: Lrg, Library Binding, 349 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

I Shall Not Hate: A Gaza Doctor's Journey by Izzeldin Abuelaish (2010)

The author of this book has an amazing story. He grew up in a refugee camp in the Gaza Strip and against all odds and eventually graduates from medical school. He then works at a hospital in Israel, while continuing to live in Gaza and go through the checkpoints regularly. He loses his wife to leukemia and just over a month later three of his daughters and his niece are killed when Israeli tanks target their home. The author has so much tragedy in his life, but he retains hope through it all and never resorts to hate. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
  OberlinSWAP | Jul 21, 2015 |
Heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time. ( )
  Nero56 | Apr 6, 2015 |
This is an important book. It is inspiring and heartbreaking, true and unbelievable. Dr Izzeldin Abuelaish is a Gaza Doctor , a brilliant ,educated doctor and father of 8, who travels between the Gaza strip and Israel during war. He details what daily life is like He is a one man task force for change for dialogue for peace between the Palestinian people and the Israeli people. Not even the death by a bomb of 3 of his children will he allow hate to enter his conciousness. He holds a lifelong belief that "out of bad comes something good". He sees their death as a foundation for change, a chance to open dialogue between two peoples who are fundamentally more alike then different. His book is a call to all of us to care ,to be aware ,and to affect change. Very powerfull reading. ( )
  Smits | Mar 2, 2014 |
Whether or not you have a particular interest in Palestine and Israel, I beg you, read this book. Dr. Abuelaish is a true inspiration in the struggle for peace in the area, a believer in education and health care and the value of women in society. I am devastated by his loss and amazed by his compassion. ( )
  kshroyer | Mar 30, 2013 |
Many in his situation would have descended into a dark, lonely pit of grief and bitterness. But Abuelaish not only rebuilt a life for himself and his surviving five children, he has written a moving and powerful book about his experiences with a central message of hope and reconciliation.

added by SqueakyChu | editGuardian, Harriet Sherwood (Aug 15, 2010)

Izzeldin Abuelaish first caught international attention during the Gaza War of 2008-09. The Israeli military had banned foreign media from entering Gaza, and so Abuelaish, a resident of Jabalia refugee camp at the time, became an essential source for the daily goings-on inside the war zone..... The strength of this book – and there are many reasons why it is one of the most affecting I have read on the subject of Israel and Palestine – is its personal angle. It tells the story of a man who grew up and raised eight children in the most densely populated, and one of the most impoverished, parts of the world: Gaza. His story is important not only for its message of peace, but for the fact that it personalizes the Palestinian experience....This gripping memoir suggests the best solutions for peace are emerging from the grassroots; time and again, politicians on both sides of the wall have let us down

Izzeldin Abuelaishprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Glezerman, MarekForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of my parents- my mother, Dalal, and my father, Mohammad
To the memory of my wife, Nadia, my daughters, Bessan, Mayar and Aya, and my niece Noor
To children everywhere. Their only weapons are love and hope....
It was as close to heaven and as far from hell as I could get that day, an isolated stretch of beach just four kilometres from the misery of Gaza City, where waves roll up on the shore as if to wash away yesterday and leave a fresh start for tommorow.
...you shouldn't hate something you don't know, because it may turn out to be the bearer of your greatest fortune.
If I could know that my daughters were the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis, then I would accept their loss.

By turns inspiring and heart-breaking, hopeful and horrifying, I Shall Not Hate is Izzeldin Abuelaish's account of an extraordinary life. A Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor who was born and raised in the Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Strip and "who has devoted his life to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians" (New York Times), Abuelaish has been crossing the lines in the sand that divide Israelis and Palestinians for most of his life - as a physician who treats patients on both sides of the line, as a humanitarian who sees the need for improved health and education for women as the way forward in the Middle East. And, most recently, as the father whose daughters were killed by Israeli soldiers on January 16, 2009, during Israel's incursion into the Gaza Strip. His response to this tragedy made news and won him humanitarian awards around the world. Instead of seeking revenge or sinking into hatred, Abuelaish called for the people in the region to start talking to each other. His deepest hope is that his daughters will be "the last sacrifice on the road to peace between Palestinians and Israelis."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:28 -0400)

Harvard-trained Palestinian doctor Izzeldin Abuelaish's recounts his extraordinary life of devotion to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

I Shall Not Hate by Izzeldin Abuelaish was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,057,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible