Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Collections:ARC, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily is the story behind Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, told from the perspective of Tinker Bell. We learn all about their friendship, including how they met and the romance between the two. We also get the personal story behind Tiger Lily, whose life was far from perfect, with struggles from an arranged marriage to an outcast adopted father. Of course when Wendy comes into the scene, the whole dynamic changes. Tiger Lily struggles to deal with the changes in her relationship with Peter and the Lost Boys while going through a stressful time at home. In the end, Tiger Lily and Peter Pan part ways for the better, and everyone gets their happily ever after. I really enjoyed getting a story devoted to Tiger Lily, and it was interesting to hear from Tinker Bell since we never know what she's thinking. Cute and fast read. ( )
  NicoleGorr | Jun 23, 2014 |
I’m afraid my hopes were a little too high for this book. I like the premise, but to me it fell a little short. I thought the character development was good, but there just wasn’t enough “oomph” to the story. It just wasn’t all that interesting to me. Maybe that’s a bit harsh, after all, the story of Peter Pan is so well known and written that it has big shoes to fill. It was an okay story – just not a page-turner. I did like that the narrator was Tinker Bell, and I liked the Tiger Lily character. I felt some things were mentioned that either didn’t fit or needed more development in the story.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Probably not. There are better things out there to read with the little leisure time she has.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Maybe, but I wouldn’t tell her it’s a “must read.”

3.5 of 4 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Jun 17, 2014 |
A retelling of the story of Peter Pan, focusing on Tiger Lilly and from the perspective of Tinkerbell. This is a love triangle and an adventure and as the opening lines says, hardly a typical story. ( )
  ArynO | Jun 2, 2014 |
“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win.”
Halfway through reading Tiger Lily, I was sure that this would end up being a 4-star-read. After finishing that last note, that last P.S., I realized how wrong I was.

At that point it hit me that Tiger Lily made it to the top of my 2013 favorites list, catching me by surprise and leaving me at a loss for words. It left behind a plethora of emotions, with only my tears to keep me company.

At least to me, there is a huge barrier dividing the ratings of 4 and 5 stars. 4 stars are dedicated to enjoyable reads. They bring a smile to your face, they entertain you, and throw in some beautiful prose, and you've got yourself a solid 4-star read.

Books like Tiger Lily are an entirely different matter. They haunt you through the night. They provide some sort of insight into life no 4-star read could manage to do. It is not necessary that they bring you happiness; rather they succeed in infuriating you, depressing you, and ripping your heart to shreds. They make you think about like itself, through a clear, real scope, instead of a sweetened one. They tattoo themselves on your subconscious, with or without your approval, and will continue to joyously torment you for the rest of your days. They are, unarguably, unique masterpieces that deliver with a bang.

Beyond this, I’m a bit tongue-tied. I could discuss how my pitiful sobs wrecked me hours after reading this, or how the mere sight of the book’s cover will cause me to inadvertently choke up from the memory of this book. But, I will leave that to you as a reader to experience.

Tiger Lily is not a traditional fairy-tale retelling. I am obligated to warn you: I highly doubt it can be described as full of adventure and magic and playfulness. In other words, it’s not like the Disney movie. That’s not its purpose. Its purpose it to tell the story of the commonly overlooked Tiger Lily; her hardships, her maturity, her struggle. I would even venture to say this is a coming-of-age novel in its own right.

Tinker Bell is our narrator in this story. I won’t even pretend I liked her at the beginning. While not completely reliable, she is probably one of the best narrators I've had the pleasure of reading. I love her so much more, now that I've been exposed to the other side of Peter Pan’s story, and for her narration I am grateful.

At this very moment, weeks after finishing the novel, I am still caught up in the lush setting of Neverland, with its mysterious forest and exotic plants. Ms. Anderson captures the setting so effectively that it is so easy to imagine myself there, alongside Tiger Lily and Peter and the Lost Boys (not you Wendy).

As I've mentioned earlier, the goal of this retelling is to provide us with an alternative story to the one we were exposed to since childhood. Ms. Anderson creatively takes a unique approach to this story, staying true to the original while adding her own brilliance to the story, leaving us with an utterly phenomenal and enchanting read.

The writing, of course, was captivating as well. It just captures the very essence of Neverland perfectly.

Technically, the plot is based around the romance of Tiger Lily and Peter. Normally, I would abhor this and go on a lengthy rant about how much it annoyed me. I actually ended up loving it. I would even say that it’s my favorite part of the story. NOT Wendy and Peter’s romance, though.

“How can I describe Peter's face, the pieces of him that stick to my heart? Peter sometimes looked aloof and distant; sometimes his face was open and soft as a bruise. Sometimes he looked completely at Tiger Lily, as if she were the point on which all the universe revolved, as if she were the biggest mystery of life, or as if she were a flame and he couldn't not look even though he was scared. And sometimes it would all disappear into carelessness, confidence, amusement, as if he didn't need anyone or anything on this earth to feel happy and alive.”
*sobs*

I highly doubt I will forget this story anytime soon.

On a side note, when I was watching Disney version of Peter Pan a few days ago, I never noticed how terribly whitewashed it was. I mean, look at how they portrayed Tiger Lily’s dad:

I even think there is a song about them being "red". -___- ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

It's the two of them, jumbled up and broken apart into confused pieces, and not really understanding, themselves, what they were doing.

To be completely honest with y'all, I've been sitting here and staring at the computer for about ten minutes. I literally have no inkling of what I want to say at all.

Tiger Lily was... I loved it. It took a bit of getting used to, because it was told from Tinker Bell's point of view, but it was about Tiger Lily. Like I said, it took some getting used to - but I really think that it was a unique and interesting way to go about it. I loved the writing, it was very descriptive and... I don't know. Flowing.

I enjoyed the character of Tiger Lily - I didn't really get to connect with her, because of the point of view, but I feel like she was a good character. She was very brave, but I feel like her mind is a dark and sad place. But that's okay. She really was pretty dang complex, and I was intrigued by her.

Undoubtedly, my absolute favorite part of Tiger Lily was the atmosphere. Neverland truly is a dark and dangerous place, with many villains that made it very interesting. It was so twisting and cruel; I mean who doesn't love that?

The ending that this book lead straight to was kind of depressing, but only for a moment. In the end, what Tiger Lily got was so much more amazing. Peter and Tiger Lily's love story was good - but in the way that a first love story always is. It was sad, and I wanted them to be together, but it just wasn't meant to be. Like I said, Tiger Lily's ending was so much better than it would have been with Peter.

It just fit. All in all, Tiger Lily really was a good read. I enjoyed Tiger Lily & the story of Neverland, and the atmosphere was amazing. But I just... don't know how to say what I want to say? ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Dec 25, 2013 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

54 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible