Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Rating:***1/2
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Originally posted at The Scribbling Sprite

“Let me tell you something straight off. This is a love story, but not like any you've ever heard. The boy and the girl are far from innocent. Dear lives are lost. And good doesn't win.”

A charming little fairy came to me one night and whispered in my ear, her voice a dainty tinkling of bells. She told me of this wonderful little story, about a mystical girl called Tiger Lily. Needless to say, I was intrigued. Not one to disregard the urging of such otherworldly creatures, I found and read the book she spoke of. It was love at first sentence.

It is the girl's(Tiger Lily's) story, but it is told through the eyes of a very extraordinary fairy--Tinker Bell, as she is later named. Tinker-Bell shadows Tiger Lily, knows all about her, and Tiger Lily tolerates Tinker Bell. That we're informed of the goings on of Tiger Lily's life through the eyes of someone else may seem odd, but it lends an air of mystery to her character. And it didn't lessen the connection I felt with her.

When Tink first introduces us to Tiger Lily, she is cryptic. Mysterious. Intimidating even, but so incredibly fascinating.

“I'm not myself," she offered, guiltily. She softened around Tik Tok, and when she did she was, for those rare moments, girlish.

He smiled. "You can never say that. You're just a piece of yourself right now that you don't like.”

We see her shunned by the other children of the village. We see her through her insecurities and doubts(the ones she tries so hard not to show).

“Everyone will think I'm ugly."

Tik Tok smiled. "That's true. But we are a small village. We have narrow tastes. There's no telling who else in the world would think you're beautiful.”

We experience her precious relationship with her father, the tribe's leader.

“You love me," she said. "That's enough. We love each other."

"Yes. Yes, that's true." He[Tik Tok] smiled. "We are a love story.”

We watch her fall in love.

“To love someone was not what she had expected. It was like falling from somewhere high up and breaking in half, and only one person having the secret to the puzzle of putting her back together.”

We're introduced to a variety of quirky characters, from the lovable, girl-crazy lost boys, to the loyal Pine Sap, to the despondent Captain Hook and psychopathic Smee.

And then there's Peter. He is spirited and peculiar and bold. And too funny for his own good.

“We should have a funeral," he said.

Pan held his hands clasped in a tent on his lap, and he bowed his head.

He seemed to be trying to recall something, and it was a long time before he finally said, "Our Father. Our Father. Our Father. Amen."

Then he leaned back, and his face was blank again. He smiled, all white teeth. "There.”

I have to warn you about this book. You'll get to be where you're so caught up in the fate of the characters, and in the love story--but in the end it's not really a romance at all. It's a riveting fairy tale, a breathtaking adventure you don't want to end.

And when it does....you're filled with a curious sense of fulfillment and a raw aching....and a love for an ending that is so bittersweet and beautiful. At least, that's how I felt.

If you're seeking a typical Happily Ever After kind of tale, you can keep looking. Because Ms. Anderson has redefined what a happy ending really is.

With writing that is utterly beautiful in its simplicity, this is a tear-jerking, heart-wrenching story of one girl, told through the eyes of a fairy who loves her.

“Still, the longer I was around her, the more I could see the colors of her mind and the recesses of her heart. There was a beast in there. But there was also a girl who was afraid of being a beast, and who wondered if other people had beasts in their hearts too. There was strength, and there was also just the determination to look strong. She guarded herself like a secret.”

"You think you know that someone sees you one way, and barely at all, and then you realize that they see you in another. That was the night I realized Tiger Lily had seen- really seen- me all along.”

Content: Clean--no profanity that I can recall, but there is one scene where a boy and girl lie next to each other(Nothing happens).
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
Are there any adequate words to describe how astonishing this book is? I knew, as I read the first chapter (which assured me there would be no happy ending), that this book was going to be like nothing I've read before.

As a child, based on the Disney version of Peter Pan, I felt displeasure toward Tinker Bell and her strong hate for Wendy. I just simply thought Tinker Bell was a cruel bully. However, Jodi Lynn Anderson, with this exceptional, heart-felt story, changed my perspective of all characters I felt familiar with (my dislike for Tink changed into piteous love based on her disposition) and allowed me to embrace new characters I'd never thought would affect me so deeply.

This story is not a stranger to love, values, life, friendship, and hardships. Tiger Lily, a strong, vigorous youngster, who is looked down upon by her tribe, faces challenges that not only change her environment, but her as a character. Tinker Bell, a fairy who falls madly in love with the might of her small heart, narrates both intertwined stories of Tiger Lily's and hers.

I acknowledge my foolishness, but even when warned that the outcome would not be as expected, there was still hope in my conflicted heart. And yes... I did shed a few tears. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
[Reseña sin terminar]

Nunca voy a poder mirar una película de Peter Pan sin acordarme de esta Tiger Lily. Nunca voy a poder pensarla en otra manera que no sea ésta.

Muy bien escrito, excelente desarrollo de sus personajes (de todos), trama perfecta y...

Lo fascinante de este libro es que no es solamente una historia de un amor condenado al fracaso, sino muchísimo -muchísimo- más. Tenemos ingleses invadiendo mundos que no conocen (que ellos consideran "sin descubrir" y listos para "reclamar", allá cual Colón y hoy cual imperio del norte) y tratando de imponer la vergüenza sobre aldeas que estaban perfectamente bien antes de que ellos llegaran con su religión a traer tragedias.

La vida de Tiger Lily, su mundo, tiene que ver con eso y esta novela lo trata tan maravillosamente bien, con sus correspondientes injusticias y tristezas, pero al mismo tiempo lo resuelve de una manera tan brillante, que es imposible leerlo y no sentir el pecho apretado, la garganta cerrada con llanto.

Tengo el corazón destrozado.

(Pero no crean que es una historia triste la de Tiger Lily)

Y Peter Pan, este Peter Pan...

"Peter moved as if he couldn’t get to each place quickly enough. He chopped his words off at the last consonant, as if it took too long to get the whole word out. And he had a habit of rubbing his index and middle finger back and forth across his bottom lip, which constantly drew my attention there and made me slightly giddy. The others clearly felt it too, because as they walked he was completely surrounded—the boys gravitated wherever he moved.

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is a beautiful retelling of the story of Peter Pan, mainly concentrating on the story behind Tiger Lily.

It is almost unrecognisable from the Disney Peter Pan we know and love, but that is exactly what makes this book sparkle. Told from the perspective of Tinker Bell, this book is magical.

The description of Neverland was rich in detail, and the story was suitably simple but layered and had a lot of interesting details. The magical elements of the story are retold in such a way that they are less fantastic, but relatively believable and you can almost believe that this could have happened somewhere.

It was a story that had a more realistic feel to it but still retained the magic and fantasy.

The ending was just brilliant, it really captured the essence of what often happens in the real world. But far from being depressing, such an ending was strangely uplifting and hopeful and did provide closure to the story, you feel satisfied after reading it.

I really want to read more books like this one! Brilliant escapism. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Tiger Lily is the story behind Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, told from the perspective of Tinker Bell. We learn all about their friendship, including how they met and the romance between the two. We also get the personal story behind Tiger Lily, whose life was far from perfect, with struggles from an arranged marriage to an outcast adopted father. Of course when Wendy comes into the scene, the whole dynamic changes. Tiger Lily struggles to deal with the changes in her relationship with Peter and the Lost Boys while going through a stressful time at home. In the end, Tiger Lily and Peter Pan part ways for the better, and everyone gets their happily ever after. I really enjoyed getting a story devoted to Tiger Lily, and it was interesting to hear from Tinker Bell since we never know what she's thinking. Cute and fast read. ( )
  NicoleGorr | Jun 23, 2014 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

102 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,050,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible