Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Collections:ARC, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Are there any adequate words to describe how astonishing this book is? I knew, as I read the first chapter (which assured me there would be no happy ending), that this book was going to be like nothing I've read before.

As a child, based on the Disney version of Peter Pan, I felt displeasure toward Tinker Bell and her strong hate for Wendy. I just simply thought Tinker Bell was a cruel bully. However, Jodi Lynn Anderson, with this exceptional, heart-felt story, changed my perspective of all characters I felt familiar with (my dislike for Tink changed into piteous love based on her disposition) and allowed me to embrace new characters I'd never thought would affect me so deeply.

This story is not a stranger to love, values, life, friendship, and hardships. Tiger Lily, a strong, vigorous youngster, who is looked down upon by her tribe, faces challenges that not only change her environment, but her as a character. Tinker Bell, a fairy who falls madly in love with the might of her small heart, narrates both intertwined stories of Tiger Lily's and hers.

I acknowledge my foolishness, but even when warned that the outcome would not be as expected, there was still hope in my conflicted heart. And yes... I did shed a few tears. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
[Reseña sin terminar]

Nunca voy a poder mirar una película de Peter Pan sin acordarme de esta Tiger Lily. Nunca voy a poder pensarla en otra manera que no sea ésta.

Muy bien escrito, excelente desarrollo de sus personajes (de todos), trama perfecta y...

Lo fascinante de este libro es que no es solamente una historia de un amor condenado al fracaso, sino muchísimo -muchísimo- más. Tenemos ingleses invadiendo mundos que no conocen (que ellos consideran "sin descubrir" y listos para "reclamar", allá cual Colón y hoy cual imperio del norte) y tratando de imponer la vergüenza sobre aldeas que estaban perfectamente bien antes de que ellos llegaran con su religión a traer tragedias.

La vida de Tiger Lily, su mundo, tiene que ver con eso y esta novela lo trata tan maravillosamente bien, con sus correspondientes injusticias y tristezas, pero al mismo tiempo lo resuelve de una manera tan brillante, que es imposible leerlo y no sentir el pecho apretado, la garganta cerrada con llanto.

Tengo el corazón destrozado.

(Pero no crean que es una historia triste la de Tiger Lily)

Y Peter Pan, este Peter Pan...

"Peter moved as if he couldn’t get to each place quickly enough. He chopped his words off at the last consonant, as if it took too long to get the whole word out. And he had a habit of rubbing his index and middle finger back and forth across his bottom lip, which constantly drew my attention there and made me slightly giddy. The others clearly felt it too, because as they walked he was completely surrounded—the boys gravitated wherever he moved.

LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
This is a beautiful retelling of the story of Peter Pan, mainly concentrating on the story behind Tiger Lily.

It is almost unrecognisable from the Disney Peter Pan we know and love, but that is exactly what makes this book sparkle. Told from the perspective of Tinker Bell, this book is magical.

The description of Neverland was rich in detail, and the story was suitably simple but layered and had a lot of interesting details. The magical elements of the story are retold in such a way that they are less fantastic, but relatively believable and you can almost believe that this could have happened somewhere.

It was a story that had a more realistic feel to it but still retained the magic and fantasy.

The ending was just brilliant, it really captured the essence of what often happens in the real world. But far from being depressing, such an ending was strangely uplifting and hopeful and did provide closure to the story, you feel satisfied after reading it.

I really want to read more books like this one! Brilliant escapism. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Tiger Lily is the story behind Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, told from the perspective of Tinker Bell. We learn all about their friendship, including how they met and the romance between the two. We also get the personal story behind Tiger Lily, whose life was far from perfect, with struggles from an arranged marriage to an outcast adopted father. Of course when Wendy comes into the scene, the whole dynamic changes. Tiger Lily struggles to deal with the changes in her relationship with Peter and the Lost Boys while going through a stressful time at home. In the end, Tiger Lily and Peter Pan part ways for the better, and everyone gets their happily ever after. I really enjoyed getting a story devoted to Tiger Lily, and it was interesting to hear from Tinker Bell since we never know what she's thinking. Cute and fast read. ( )
  NicoleGorr | Jun 23, 2014 |
I’m afraid my hopes were a little too high for this book. I like the premise, but to me it fell a little short. I thought the character development was good, but there just wasn’t enough “oomph” to the story. It just wasn’t all that interesting to me. Maybe that’s a bit harsh, after all, the story of Peter Pan is so well known and written that it has big shoes to fill. It was an okay story – just not a page-turner. I did like that the narrator was Tinker Bell, and I liked the Tiger Lily character. I felt some things were mentioned that either didn’t fit or needed more development in the story.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Probably not. There are better things out there to read with the little leisure time she has.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Maybe, but I wouldn’t tell her it’s a “must read.”

3.5 of 4 stars. ( )
  lauraodom | Jun 17, 2014 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

102 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,423,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible