Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Collections:ARC, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

This is a beautiful retelling of the story of Peter Pan, mainly concentrating on the story behind Tiger Lily.

It is almost unrecognisable from the Disney Peter Pan we know and love, but that is exactly what makes this book sparkle. Told from the perspective of Tinker Bell, this book is magical.

The description of Neverland was rich in detail, and the story was suitably simple but layered and had a lot of interesting details. The magical elements of the story are retold in such a way that they are less fantastic, but relatively believable and you can almost believe that this could have happened somewhere.

It was a story that had a more realistic feel to it but still retained the magic and fantasy.

The ending was just brilliant, it really captured the essence of what often happens in the real world. But far from being depressing, such an ending was strangely uplifting and hopeful and did provide closure to the story, you feel satisfied after reading it.

I really want to read more books like this one! Brilliant escapism.

4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
This did not end happily! I never liked Wendy and I haven't changed my mind after reading this book - she was the villian in this book, not Hook. Tiger Lily, however, was a lovely character although very lonely with her independent spirit. The romance between Peter and Tiger Lily was sweet, however, at times I wanted to bang their heads together in frustration as they were so unsure of each other and naive about their feelings. I really liked how the author chose Tinkerbell to narrate the story. Her voice was unique with interesting perspectives of the various characters and on the unfolding events. This is a prequel to J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan" and is a nice, heart-wrenching story about friendship and first love. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Away with the Fairies Challenge (orange) ( )
  Cecilia_Ridley | Jan 10, 2016 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible