Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Title:Tiger Lily
Authors:Jodi Lynn Anderson
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:ARC, Read but unowned
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

I would have hoped that a modern writer would be more sensitive in writing about Barrie's Indians. Perpetuating racist stereotypes of a century ago? Mocking their names? I'll pass, thanks.
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
“Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair”

“Sometimes I think that maybe we are just stories. Like we may as well just be words on a page, because we're only what we've done and what we are going to do.”

“Did you know I always thought you were braver than me? Did you ever guess that that was why I was so afraid? It wasn't that I only loved some of you. But I wondered if you could ever love more than some of me

And this is every thing I expect in a re-telling.

Nothing compares to the original Peter Pan, as a child it was one of my absolute favorites. As an adult, I still wish that I could fly away to never land, to run and play like a lost boy all day, hunt for pirates, swim with mermaids and never age another day. And reading this book, made me feel like I did just that..

This book sheds light on one of our lesser known characters, Tiger Lily. This is her story, about the young, wild pan who stole and ran away with her heart. How she overcame obstacles, learned to live wit the consequences of some of her actions. As told thru the eyes of Tinkerbell, This book was an enchanting and whimsical reading experience. By far, one of the best re-tellings I have ever read.

“To love someone was not what she had expected. It was like falling from somewhere high up and breaking in half, and only one person having the secret to the puzzle of putting her back together.”

This is one I highly recommend, and I seriously encourage anyone who loves re-tellings to check this one out.

Its been close to a year since I have read it, and I can still remember it clear as day. This is one of those books that burns its way into your brain and embeds itself in your heart. ( )
  alliecollins8488 | Oct 9, 2016 |
Tiger Lily is the female narrative of Peter Pan. Tinkerbell is our narrator, but this is Tiger Lily’s story. Tiger Lily who loved Peter. Tiger Lily who trusted Peter. Tiger Lily who counted on Peter to save her from the loneliness of being an outcast in her own tribe and an arranged marriage to a brute who mistreats her even before they are married. But family tragedy strikes just before Tiger Lily is to run away with Peter, delaying her departure a few days; and then Wendy Darling arrives. Wendy who is charming where Tiger Lily is awkward. Wendy who is sure where Tiger Lily is plagued with self-doubt. Wendy who is a beautiful new thing to catch a fickle boy’s attention. We see Peter from another point of view - one in which his immaturity and changeable nature result in heartbreak and betrayal to those who have placed their trust in him.

Told in haunting and poetic prose, Tiger Lily is a feast of language. Tackling issues like loneliness, colonialism, identity, and abandonment, Tiger Lily’s story is about putting ourselves back together and learning to love ourselves for our uniqueness, even when others do not. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I didn't know when I started this book that it was told from Tinker Bells PoV, and I actually ended up enjoying it. I feel like the story was a bit slow at parts though, but it still resembled the story of Peter Pan we all know and love. I would recommend it, but prepare your feels. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to Tiger Lily, the girl with the crow feather in her hair. Adopted by TikTok, the village shaman, Tiger Lily got her name from the flower that grew over the place where she was found. Bullied by the villagers , Tiger Lily, now fifteen, doesn’t believe in love stories or happy endings. That changes when she meets Peter Pan in the woods of Neverland and falls under his spell.

This starts out as a charming story narrated by Tinkerbell, who is herself in love with Peter. Her first loyalty is to Tiger Lily, and the reader gets to know the story of the Lost Boys, Wendy, and Captain Hook through Tink's observations. It's not all happy and we experience the much darker side of Neverland. The Lost Boys seem more like gang members, the pirates are vicious, especially Hook, who is desperate to find a cure for aging. The only way Smee can feel empathy is by killing and the mermaids will drown anyone they catch.

Usually I find fairly tale retellings less interesting than the original. I'm the complete opposite in this case. Overall, this book was happy and sad, all at the same time. It's about what it feels like to fall in love, and what it means when you have to grow up. I thought it was hauntingly beautiful, and its impact will stay with me for a long time. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 4, 2016 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,835,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible