Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily (edition 2012)

by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Collections:ARC, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Young Adult

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Tiger Lily is the female narrative of Peter Pan. Tinkerbell is our narrator, but this is Tiger Lily’s story. Tiger Lily who loved Peter. Tiger Lily who trusted Peter. Tiger Lily who counted on Peter to save her from the loneliness of being an outcast in her own tribe and an arranged marriage to a brute who mistreats her even before they are married. But family tragedy strikes just before Tiger Lily is to run away with Peter, delaying her departure a few days; and then Wendy Darling arrives. Wendy who is charming where Tiger Lily is awkward. Wendy who is sure where Tiger Lily is plagued with self-doubt. Wendy who is a beautiful new thing to catch a fickle boy’s attention. We see Peter from another point of view - one in which his immaturity and changeable nature result in heartbreak and betrayal to those who have placed their trust in him.

Told in haunting and poetic prose, Tiger Lily is a feast of language. Tackling issues like loneliness, colonialism, identity, and abandonment, Tiger Lily’s story is about putting ourselves back together and learning to love ourselves for our uniqueness, even when others do not. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
I didn't know when I started this book that it was told from Tinker Bells PoV, and I actually ended up enjoying it. I feel like the story was a bit slow at parts though, but it still resembled the story of Peter Pan we all know and love. I would recommend it, but prepare your feels. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to Tiger Lily, the girl with the crow feather in her hair. Adopted by TikTok, the village shaman, Tiger Lily got her name from the flower that grew over the place where she was found. Bullied by the villagers , Tiger Lily, now fifteen, doesn’t believe in love stories or happy endings. That changes when she meets Peter Pan in the woods of Neverland and falls under his spell.

This starts out as a charming story narrated by Tinkerbell, who is herself in love with Peter. Her first loyalty is to Tiger Lily, and the reader gets to know the story of the Lost Boys, Wendy, and Captain Hook through Tink's observations. It's not all happy and we experience the much darker side of Neverland. The Lost Boys seem more like gang members, the pirates are vicious, especially Hook, who is desperate to find a cure for aging. The only way Smee can feel empathy is by killing and the mermaids will drown anyone they catch.

Usually I find fairly tale retellings less interesting than the original. I'm the complete opposite in this case. Overall, this book was happy and sad, all at the same time. It's about what it feels like to fall in love, and what it means when you have to grow up. I thought it was hauntingly beautiful, and its impact will stay with me for a long time. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 4, 2016 |
This wasn't your normal "retelling" and it did take me a bit to get into the book and stay interested. It was good though, I liked hearing things from Tink's perspective and the Tiger Lily side of the Peter Pan story is one that hasn't been explored before. All in all the story made me sad though, and it's not that I am one who HAS to have a happy ending, but I kept hoping for one in this case. It's not that I was so disappointed that I didn't like the book, but I do think I'd have liked it better if it had ended a bit more positively. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This is a beautiful retelling of the story of Peter Pan, mainly concentrating on the story behind Tiger Lily.

It is almost unrecognisable from the Disney Peter Pan we know and love, but that is exactly what makes this book sparkle. Told from the perspective of Tinker Bell, this book is magical.

The description of Neverland was rich in detail, and the story was suitably simple but layered and had a lot of interesting details. The magical elements of the story are retold in such a way that they are less fantastic, but relatively believable and you can almost believe that this could have happened somewhere.

It was a story that had a more realistic feel to it but still retained the magic and fantasy.

The ending was just brilliant, it really captured the essence of what often happens in the real world. But far from being depressing, such an ending was strangely uplifting and hopeful and did provide closure to the story, you feel satisfied after reading it.

I really want to read more books like this one! Brilliant escapism.

4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Tiger Lily. By Jodi Lynn Anderson. July 2012. 304p. Harper Teen, $17.99 (9780062003256). Gr. 8-11.

In expressive, graceful language, Anderson tells the story of the fierce Tiger Lily and her thorny romance with the legendary Peter Pan. In remote Neverland, Tiger Lily has grown up with the Sky Eaters after being taken in by the shaman Tik Tok. At 15, already snubbed for her wild independence and nonwomanly hunting and fighting, Tiger Lily irrevocably changes her village when she rescues a shipwrecked Englander. Motivated by compassion, she fails to realize how his religious fervor poisons her tribe until it is too late. Her rescue captures Peter Pan's interest, and she is drawn to his strange mix of boyish enthusiasm, casual barbarity, and guarded loneliness. When Wendy Darling arrives on another English ship, Tiger Lily must decide whether to fight for her love or let him go. Narrated by Tinkerbell, whose empathy allows her to see into others' experiences, this wistful retelling has strong elements of tragedy, infused with regret, loneliness, and lost love, but its sensitive, passionate portrayal of familiar characters, here more damaged than we knew them, is captivating.--Krista Hutley
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, Krista Hutley

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily receives special protections from the spiritual forces of Neverland, but then she meets her tribe's most dangerous enemy--Peter Pan--and falls in love with him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,366,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible