Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition by…

Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition (edition 2011)

by Libba Bray

Member:baystateRA
Title:Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Scholastic Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read - Audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, audiobook, humor, satire, teen girls, beauty pageants, friendship, Libba Bray

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

2011 (34) 2012 (15) adventure (47) audio (11) audiobook (12) beauty pageants (51) beauty queens (12) contemporary (8) ebook (9) feminism (50) fiction (84) friendship (23) funny (10) gender (9) girls (9) humor (85) island (10) Kindle (12) pirates (23) plane crash (28) read (16) read in 2011 (10) satire (89) survival (84) teen (25) to-read (70) YA (101) young adult (100) young adult fiction (21) young adult literature (8)
    This Other Eden by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar satirical/political humour and about a distopian neo-capitalist society.
    Stark by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    The Pirates of Turtle Rock by Richard W. Jennings (kaledrina)

Read this on my Nook during a trip last summer and it was entertaining enough. A complete beach read. A lot of it is incredibly stereotypical, heavy handed proselytizing on every subject from sexual repression to physical disability. The main character is pretty annoying but the wacky tone and plot underlying it all keep things from getting too bogged down in Bray's politics (the fate The Sweet Far Thing suffered). Each of the surviving beauty queens is a broadly drawn stereotype of something: first-generation immigrant, resident of a Southern state, sexual ambiguity, etc. There is some effort to link beauty pageants with the reduction of each of these ladies to a single "issue", but the author never seems to get beyond those limiting definitions.

The Sarah-Palin-esque pageant head Ladybird is amusingly over-the-top for most of the novel, as is the secret plot that landed the beauty queens on their deserted island. It's fun in a Dave Barry/James Bond way often enough to overcome the more awkward, preachy moments.

If you want to read a silly novel lampooning "Miss America Lord of the Flies", you will probably enjoy this one. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
Really liked this one! I do think the book stretched a LITTLE thin by Bray trying to address Every!Single!Issue! of race, gender, and identity, but most, if not all, were handled well. Plus, the footnotes and messages from The Corporation were really great. full review to come. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I have mixed thoughts about this one. On one hand, it's very "young adult" which is a turn off for me. It's silly and imaginary and seemingly superficial. On the other, Bray's wry, witty writing style is like none I've ever read. She is clever and humorous and very creative. When I first finished the book, I was annoyed but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there were indeed things in the book that were thought-provoking; the pressure on young girls to be perfect, thin, beautiful, smart, pure, and innocent. If you take the book seriously, you'll be very disappointed. If you read it during a tornado watch for 3 hours and finish it, you'll giggle and go pick up something heavier. :-) ( )
1 vote AAM_mommy | Jun 2, 2014 |
Although this book was recommended to me, I really didn't like the beginning and almost quit listening to it early on. Teen beauty pageant contestants whose plane crashed on a deserted island, no adults survived. The jokes were absurd and monotonous, just really too silly.

And I trudged on, mainly because I didn't have anything else to listen to at that moment.

In the end, I loved this book. Absurdist, farcical, absolutely no connection with reality, and very funny. Even the cartoonish, stereotyped characters became people I cared about. The whole stereotyping thing made its point. The story paints good lessons for teens in a very entertaining way, and the lessons are ones that adults need to be reminded of now and then.

And there are PIRATES!

And BOY BANDS!

And DANGER!

The audio version I heard was read by the author, and she did a wonderful job with the voices. The acknowledgments and author's notes at the end are almost as entertaining as the book, and should not be skipped.

So, if you don't get fed up with the beginning and you keep reading, you may find, as I did, a funny, and highly entertaining book with a serious side to it, and lessons about acceptance. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Apr 16, 2014 |
I’m a huge Libba Bray fan and I remember being so excited to get my hands on this when it first released. Long story short, I don’t think I got past page 10 before I DNF’d. Hearing that the audiobook was way better I figured it deserved another shot. Libba Bray herself narrates this audiobook and manages to do a different voice for each and every one of the characters. The accents were gimmicky and nowhere near authentic but they were incredibly entertaining. The audio is over 14 hours long though and it unfortunately grew a bit tiresome and added to the overall ridiculousness of the whole thing after a while.

The big thing with Beauty Queens are the ‘messages’ which tackle the unrealistic standards that all girls face (not just pageant girls) but it did oftentimes feel overdone and exaggerated. Add to that, the messages were simply too obvious and came off as preachy more than anything. In addition there was the massive amount of satire this book was steeped in. While all together the story was rather admittedly a bit over the top and incredibly goofy at times, it did have some entertaining moments. At least until the boat full of (testosterone) reality TV show pirates showed up. They upped the level of ridiculous for me and officially lost me. And if I was barely avoiding another DNF before, the introduction of the evil corporation trying to kill the beauty queen contestants would have been the nail in the coffin if I wasn’t already close to being finished. There was a lot of sighing and a lot of eye-rolling. Maybe I just wasn’t in a super funny mood? No clue. I realize that this is meant to be a fun and entertaining book not meant to be taken seriously at all, but it was simply too excessive for my liking.

Beauty Queens is an eclectic combination of one of those cringe-worthy parody movies, a satirical Lord of the Flies and an Austin Powers movie. I agree with the message the book aimed to prove, but I like when messages are a bit more subtle and a little less hammer to the head. ( )
  bonniemarjorie | Apr 11, 2014 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bray, LibbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh.

And for every body trying to figure out who they really are.
A Word from Your Sponsor

This book begins with a plane crash.
Tiara's hands flew to her mouth. "In health class, they told us there's an or in whore because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no. You've got one of those STPs now, don't you?"
Petra stared. "STP is a motor oil."
"Oh. My. Gosh. We didn't learn about that one. It must be really bad!" Tiara gestured solemnly to her crotch. "Protect the citadel. Protect the citadel."

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.… (more)

314 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible