Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition by…

Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition (edition 2011)

by Libba Bray

Member:baystateRA
Title:Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Scholastic Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read - Audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, audiobook, humor, satire, teen girls, beauty pageants, friendship, Libba Bray

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

This Other Eden by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar satirical/political humour and about a distopian neo-capitalist society.
    Stark by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    The Pirates of Turtle Rock by Richard W. Jennings (kaledrina)

Best audio book ever? I think so.

Hoping to write a review soon :)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I have some mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it is certainly enjoyable. I love the way Libba Bray writes this novel, with the whole Corporation and commercials and footnotes, etc. That's brilliant. It adds a bit of an edge to the world she's created, and yet also adds humor at the same time.

Also, I love how much the characters change and really become people, even if they are shallow characters the whole way through. Sure, they're still only distinguishable by one feature, but they still become pretty badass by the end.

And it is true that Libba Bray takes on some very relevant topics and fights all of them with witty humor. And you get EVERYTHING in here. Trans, gay, feminism, sex. But I expect no less from Libba Bray.

But... despite all that, it just didn't quite click for me. Maybe I built it up too much, or maybe I was hoping for something edgier. Of course, I've never been a huge satire person. I don't know. For some reason I just found it hard to get super interested and super involved. I don't regret reading it, but probably will not read again. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 22, 2015 |
Well, what can I say? This wasn't a great book, but it certainly was one of the most fun audio books I've ever listened to. In fact, I don't recommend reading it because AUDIO is the ONLY way anyone should experience this book. It's funny and quite the parody on beauty queens, yet also makes a strong statement on how people are judged heavily on their appearance. I did enjoy the book and it was a nice break from what I usually read. ( )

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bray, LibbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh.

And for every body trying to figure out who they really are.
A Word from Your Sponsor

This book begins with a plane crash.
Tiara's hands flew to her mouth. "In health class, they told us there's an or in whore because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no. You've got one of those STPs now, don't you?"
Petra stared. "STP is a motor oil."
"Oh. My. Gosh. We didn't learn about that one. It must be really bad!" Tiara gestured solemnly to her crotch. "Protect the citadel. Protect the citadel."

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.… (more)

314 wanted1 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,222,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible