Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition by…

Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition (edition 2011)

by Libba Bray

Title:Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Scholastic Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read - Audiobooks
Tags:young adult, audiobook, humor, satire, teen girls, beauty pageants, friendship, Libba Bray

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

This Other Eden by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar satirical/political humour and about a distopian neo-capitalist society.
    Stark by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    The Pirates of Turtle Rock by Richard W. Jennings (kaledrina)

Hilarious! What happens when a planeload of teenage beauty pageant contestants crashlands on a deserted tropical island? Exactly what you think happens...but wait, no, these aren't all typical ditzy pageant girls. Ok some of them are. But several are smart, and some of the ditzy ones discover how smart they are too, as they battle the elements and society's preconceptions about them. Plus there are bodacious reality-tv show pirates! And a hidden secret base of soldiers! And a weird megalomaniacal island dictator! And lots of satirical "commercials" making fun of The Corporation and feminine hygiene products and makeup and lots of other stuff. If you can listen to the audio of this book, it's totally worth it for the author's hilarious Texas and British accents and great narration overall. This book is silly and goofy, but also feminist and romantic. I want to give it to every teen girl I know. Very over-the-top and feel-good. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
@beauty +diviners ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
Let’s see, how can I describe this book in one sentence? Toddlers and Tiaras (the teen version) meets Survivor meets Big Brother and seasoned with a little bit of Lord of the Flies, throwing in a dash of Gilligan’s Island just for fun. I was expecting a bit of YA fluff when I picked up this book. But I was willing to give it a chance because I very much enjoyed Ms. Bray’s Rebel Angels trilogy. And I was right … it was fluff … but oh boy, it was fluff with a message.

This book is a humorous, no-holds-bared satire and Ms. Bray spares no one. She tackles monopolizing corporations, egomaniacal former beauty queens with political aspirations, arms dealing dictators, hit men, the beauty pageant system, stage moms and commercialism.

I picked this up as an audio book and cringed a little when I saw Ms. Bray was also the reader. In my experience good authors do not always make good readers. In this case I was more than pleasantly surprised. Ms. Bray is AMAZING. Well deserved applause all around.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Best audio book ever? I think so.

Hoping to write a review soon :)
  BookSpot | May 18, 2015 |
I have some mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it is certainly enjoyable. I love the way Libba Bray writes this novel, with the whole Corporation and commercials and footnotes, etc. That's brilliant. It adds a bit of an edge to the world she's created, and yet also adds humor at the same time.

Also, I love how much the characters change and really become people, even if they are shallow characters the whole way through. Sure, they're still only distinguishable by one feature, but they still become pretty badass by the end.

And it is true that Libba Bray takes on some very relevant topics and fights all of them with witty humor. And you get EVERYTHING in here. Trans, gay, feminism, sex. But I expect no less from Libba Bray.

But... despite all that, it just didn't quite click for me. Maybe I built it up too much, or maybe I was hoping for something edgier. Of course, I've never been a huge satire person. I don't know. For some reason I just found it hard to get super interested and super involved. I don't regret reading it, but probably will not read again. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Apr 22, 2015 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bray, LibbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh.

And for every body trying to figure out who they really are.
A Word from Your Sponsor

This book begins with a plane crash.
Tiara's hands flew to her mouth. "In health class, they told us there's an or in whore because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no. You've got one of those STPs now, don't you?"
Petra stared. "STP is a motor oil."
"Oh. My. Gosh. We didn't learn about that one. It must be really bad!" Tiara gestured solemnly to her crotch. "Protect the citadel. Protect the citadel."

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.… (more)

140 wanted1 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible