Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition by…

Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition (edition 2011)

by Libba Bray

Member:baystateRA
Title:Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Scholastic Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read - Audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, audiobook, humor, satire, teen girls, beauty pageants, friendship, Libba Bray

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

This Other Eden by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar satirical/political humour and about a distopian neo-capitalist society.
    Stark by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    The Pirates of Turtle Rock by Richard W. Jennings (kaledrina)

I was liking this one a lot more, until I hit the end and it seemed really thrown together and didn't make much sense to me. A fun spoof of a lot of things, although it is more true than not. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This is a funny book. Once you accept it as a tongue in cheek take on Lord of the Flies, you'll be able to enjoy and laugh. Beauty Queens tackles serious topics at times. The large cast of characters include a transsexual, lesbian, and a character with some form of mental illness. And yet it's ridiculous! In a good way. I laughed, shook my head, and just went with it to a satisfying ending. ( )
  tipsister | Aug 8, 2014 |
Too funny, ended up reading large portions to my beau. He enjoyed the commercial beaks the best i think. ( )
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
A book that I think definitely has an audience, a time, and a place. I was not appropriate for any of those. ( )
  rdwhitenack | Aug 2, 2014 |
This book is a farce and as such it is wonderful. Full of puns, innuendo, over-the-top stereotypes. It is a fun filled read. Keep that in mind when reading it. Don't take it too seriously. It is an example of a witty talented author having fun. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jul 27, 2014 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bray, LibbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh.

And for every body trying to figure out who they really are.
A Word from Your Sponsor

This book begins with a plane crash.
Tiara's hands flew to her mouth. "In health class, they told us there's an or in whore because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no. You've got one of those STPs now, don't you?"
Petra stared. "STP is a motor oil."
"Oh. My. Gosh. We didn't learn about that one. It must be really bad!" Tiara gestured solemnly to her crotch. "Protect the citadel. Protect the citadel."

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.… (more)

314 wanted1 pay4 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,771,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible