Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition by…

Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition (edition 2011)

by Libba Bray

1,3732015,566 (3.8)98
Member:baystateRA
Title:Beauty Queens - Audio Library Edition
Authors:Libba Bray
Info:Scholastic Audio Books (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read - Audiobooks
Rating:*****
Tags:young adult, audiobook, humor, satire, teen girls, beauty pageants, friendship, Libba Bray

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

This Other Eden by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar satirical/political humour and about a distopian neo-capitalist society.
    Stark by Ben Elton (stevedore)
    The Pirates of Turtle Rock by Richard W. Jennings (kaledrina)

Beauty Pageants, Survival
  RLattari | Jul 9, 2016 |
4.5- audiobook
5- narration
What a fun unexpected read this was. I struggled through the first 20% not sure if it was a comedy or what. I went into this book with no knowledge of what it was really about, it was recommended by a friend. I would not have read it normally, the blurb sounds like something I'd avoid. Don't read the blurb people, jump in and have some fun with these beauty queen hopefuls. This is fun in the sun summer reading enjoyment, LOL for days reading.
What was the book about ? A plan crash, over the top stereotypical beauty pageant girls, corrupt companies, more corrupt people in power and self discoveries. There is also a lot of slimy snakes, bombs, bullets, death, sparkles, and moisturizers. This is a book about girl power.
Loved it ! ( )
  TheYodamom | May 24, 2016 |
"I've been thinking about that book about the boys who crash on the island," Mary Lou said to Adina one afternoon as they rested on their elbows taking bites from the same papaya.

"Lord of the Flies. What about it?"

"You know how you said it wasn't a true measure of humanity because there were no girls and you wondered how it would be different if there had been girls?"

"Yeah?"

Mary Lou wiped fruit juice from her mouth with the back of her hand. "Maybe girls need an island to find themselves. Maybe they need a place where no one's watching them so they can be who they really are."

I really, really wanted to like this book. I read over 50% of it (which is more of a chance than I usually give books that don't hook me) but I just couldn't keep going, because it's too ridiculous for me, which is a shame. There are a some things that this book gets right (the above quote!), but so, so many things that just don't work.

At first glance this book seems like it would be right up my alley. A girl version of Lord of the Flies with a diverse cast of Miss Teen American beauty queens, including women of color, a queer deaf girl, a lesbian, and a trans girl? It sounds awesome! But it totally falls short. We're supposed to laugh at how stupid and silly the girls are right from the beginning -- oh, how cute, those silly idiots, they want to tan and shave their legs when they're stranded on a deserted island! The protagonist is a white feminist straight girl who only entered the pageant to dismantle it from the inside, and the girls band together under her leadership to, I don't know, fight the patriarchy. The protag, Adina, is presented as the posterchild of feminism, but has internalized a lot of harmful stuff that the novel doesn't even attempt to unpack in any meaningful way. The representation of diverse characters is still rare enough that I am happy about that part of the book, but it does seem really perfunctory and relies on stereotypes. (I got this feeling especially before Petra's "reveal." She's really tall, like too tall! She has big hands! Oy vey.)

Each chapter focuses on a different girl and gives backstory. Some of these are good! A couple of them are really touching and insightful. But going from these chapters back to the main narrative practically gave me whiplash. Bray tries to make insightful commentary about societal beauty standards, consumer culture, capitalism, sexism, racism, ableism, homophobia, etc. -- and much of this commentary is valid and important -- but then follows it up with absolutely ridiculous, over-the-top jokes that don't have a place beside these topics. The footnotes are comedic at first but start to seem recycled by halfway through the book. The antagonist is just way too unbelievable for me to even care. This book has such an interesting premise but tries way too hard to be satirical and it just doesn't work. ( )
  captainmander | May 11, 2016 |
I was looking for something funny after reading a couple serious downers this fall, and Beauty Queens seemed like just the thing to lighten the mood. While it is genuinely funny in places, after a while it falls flat. It seemed like the author spent all her time on jokes and gags, and not enough on story. The plot was a bizarre mish-mash of Gilligan's Island episodes with every teen and pageant cliche you can imagine thrown in. There is a good story here about how the girls change when they are beyond the influence of family and societal expectations, but you have to scrape away a lot of muck to get to it. It took real effort to finish this one.
  Kkamm | May 7, 2016 |
At first I thought I wasn't really in the mood for this book, which starts off with a bunch of vapid pageant girls crash landing on an island and doing a remarkably terrible job of fending for themselves. But then, cut off from the rest of society, they start to reflect on the bullshit expectations that are heaped on women and become more comfortable being who they really want to be. The overall tone is cheesy and over the top, but I was completely charmed. And while a lesser author may have skipped over the chance for an intersectional look at bullshit expectations women face, Libba Bray includes two girls of color, a deaf girl, a lesbian girl, a bisexual girl, and a trans girl. By the end of the book I was a bit verklempt with the little peeks into the future about how they all continued being awesome. Recommended for anyone who is a woman or knows a woman. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Mar 22, 2016 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bray, LibbaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh.

And for every body trying to figure out who they really are.
A Word from Your Sponsor

This book begins with a plane crash.
Tiara's hands flew to her mouth. "In health class, they told us there's an or in whore because you always have a choice to respect your body and say no. You've got one of those STPs now, don't you?"
Petra stared. "STP is a motor oil."
"Oh. My. Gosh. We didn't learn about that one. It must be really bad!" Tiara gestured solemnly to her crotch. "Protect the citadel. Protect the citadel."

From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray comes the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.Teen beauty queens. A Lost-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to emall. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.

When a plane crash strands thirteen teen beauty contestants on a mysterious island, they struggle to survive, to get along with one another, to combat the island's other diabolical occupants, and to learn their dance numbers in case they are rescued in time for the competition.… (more)

211 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,590,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible