Jackaroo: A Novel of the Kingdom by Cynthia…

Jackaroo: A Novel of the Kingdom (original 1985; edition 2003)

by Cynthia Voigt

Member:mugglelibrarian
Title:Jackaroo: A Novel of the Kingdom
Authors:Cynthia Voigt
Info:Simon Pulse (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Webquest List
Rating:***

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt (1985)

I really enjoyed this book. It was a much stronger told story than Voigt's more experimental Orfe. All the characters get a chance to mature over the course of Jackaroo and enough loose ends are tied up by the conclusion to give the book a satisifying sense of closure while still leaving the Kingdom interesting enough to start off a series of book. I certainly will want to read more of the books in this series! The book would have been even better if Voigt had tightened up the first half of the book where she introduces Gwyn and her motivations for her adventures in the second half of the book. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 17, 2014 |
Teen fantasy about a girl having the courage to defy her family and her village and become a swashbuckling hero. LH ( )
  splinfo | Apr 19, 2013 |
Couldn't finish this one for some reason. It just didn't keep my interest. ( )
  cmbohn | Apr 4, 2012 |
In a medievalesque village, times are hard and rumors are flying of unrest in the south. The Lords have all the wealth and are a law unto themselves, while most people are scrambling to pay their taxes and comforting each other with tales of Jackaroo, the masked man outside the law who helps the people, if the Lords won't. Gwyn, the Innkeeper's daughter, is better off than most and doesn't believe the old tales. But she's struggling to determine who she is, as she's nearly past marrying age and has precious few options if she chooses to remain single.

I read this story at least twice as a teen. I hadn't read much fantasy beyond the classics, such as The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings, and I really loved it then, not really picking up on the tropes that the story includes - Lords and people, medieval setting, stew and ale and....you get the picture. It's not a bad story, but it's very traditional fantasy that starts a bit slowly and almost reads like historical fiction because of the focus on politics and finances. When I was a teen, I focused on the adventure and Robin Hood-like character of Jackaroo, but on this reread it actually took much longer than I remembered to get to the more exciting elements. A few scenes stood out in my mind, but the details were fuzzy, so I enjoyed revisiting the story. I've passed on my copy - the library discard, the same copy I read as a teen - on to my sister to see if she enjoys it as much as I did at that age. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Nov 6, 2011 |
What makes a legend? Gwyn, daughter of an innkeeper, discovers a set of clothes that match the description of those worn by "Jackaroo", a Robin Hood sort of figure who helps those less fortunate. She decides to put them on occasionally and use them to do just that -- bring food and money to the poor, and find ways to help others in difficult times. There are other sightings of the Jackaroo, and we figure out quickly that Gwyn's not the only Jackaroo in the land. But what are their reasons for the disguise? A wonderful historical mystery! ( )
  KarenBall | Sep 23, 2011 |
For Penny and Susan and Good Times Remembered
Gwyn stood crowded in among the women.

When hard times among the People revive the old stories of the hero Jackaroo, an innkeeper's daughter follows her own quest to unlock the secret reality behind the legend.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689864353, Mass Market Paperback)

"False, they were all of them false, the stories; as false as the stories of fairies dancing in moonlight glades on Midsummer Night."

But they served a purpose. In a distant time and far-off kingdom, life is hard. People don't have enough to eat, and winter is upon them. There's little that offers hope, and many turn to the legends of Jackaroo -- the masked outlaw hero who rides at night giving aid to the helpless and coin to the destitute -- for solace. But Gwyn, the Innkeeper's daughter -- sensitive, industrious, and independent -- is too practical to believe such tales.

But when a snowstorm forces her and a young Lordling to seek refuge in an abandoned house, Gwyn wonders if perhaps she has been too cynical. Hidden away in an old forgotten cupboard, Gwyn discovers a package -- a cloak, a mask, a sword....Jackaroo? Could the stories be true?

It takes a shock and a devastating betrayal for Gwyn to begin to understand what -- and who -- Jackaroo really is. And she comes to know what part she will play in discovering the truth, such as it may be, behind the legends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:14 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,991,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible