Heartless by Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:historical fantasy

Heartless by Gail Carriger

English (103)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (105)
I don't know what to think about this book. It's all over the place: the plot, the characters, the relationships.

There were a couple of times I hated what is happening. At one point of the story (near the end) Alexia does something so stupid that later when other characters praised her for her ability to 'sort' things out, I couldn't buy it. The sorting part of the praise was undeserved.

Her pregnancy is depicted in the most annoying way possible. Alexia hobbles through the whole book. And I could have gone without numerous 'infant-inconvenience' references. Yes, we got it the first couple of times that Alexia is not, as a preternatural, a motherly material. And it was funny that first two or three times because it is Alexia.

Heartless reveals all kinds of secrets from the past. Alexia finds out more about her father and some other characters too. It is more than she expected. I won't get into any spoilers about that, but some of those secrets were simply out of the blue. It was as if the author wanted to insert that too into the narrative.
Madame Lefoux plays a role in this book too. I never liked this character. Nothing in Heartless changes that. While I'm at it, I hate Alexia's sister too.

As for the book overall, you know when you read a story and you need something to happen to justify the time you spent being annoyed or angry or both? Well, for me this book has maybe one or two such moments (a reminder: when the wolves howled). Not everyone gets their deserved punishment in Heartless, though.

Also, Alexia gives birth to her daughter Prudence and she is fascinating. That's another good point for the book.

I still can't decide. Heartless a combination of frustrating and sometimes even stupid characters and their actions (and not in an entertaining way), occasional hilariousness, heartbreak (Lord Maccon's attitude towards Biffy) and plain craziness. All I can say is that I did like it.
Sort of.
  Aneris | Oct 20, 2016 |
  pieandsunshine | Aug 21, 2016 |
Bringing some of the minor characters such as Biffy, Felicity and Professor Lyall forward to share center stage with Alexia really livens things up since, let's face it, her husband can be a bit of a bore. Heartless has just enough plot to hold the innuendos and vivid steampunk imagery together. I'm almost sad there's only one book left in this series. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Loved it! I think what gets me the most about this series is the mixture of the comedy when they are in dire situations. I'm sure there are other books that do that out there, but this is a first for me so I'm truly enjoying it. Then you add the supernatural stuff and I'm hooked. The descriptions used when Alexia is moving about in her pregnant state were funny as well and rang all too true to someone who's been pregnant three times. I'm also adoring how much the couple still shows their love for each other. I was saddened in this book to find out who that "bad guy" was because even when all the signs were pointing that way, I still wanted it not to be true. I'm curious how that will end up playing out in the next (last?) book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
There are so many secrets in this installation. It seems like everyone is hiding something, and Alexia needs to figure out what it is. She finds out things about her father, and those close to her. And I absolutely love Ivy in this book. She is always a source of quick laughs, and not as dull minded as people think.

We also find a possible solution to the vampires no longer being angry about Alexia’s infant inconvenience. (I swear if I had read these books while I was pregnant that would have been little bean’s nickname.) I loved how Alexia is always very practical, and tells her baby bump when it’s not a good time for her to come.

The shenanigans are endless, and we learn so much about various characters. Now on to read Timeless! ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Notation to the Records, Subject P-464-AT, Alexia Tarabotti
Archivist: Mr. Phinkerlington, junior clerk, aethographic transmission specialist, second class
Subject P-464-AT is with child, sire unknown.

Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?

-Back cover

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,767,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible