Heartless by Gail Carriger
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Heartless by Gail Carriger

English (87)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (89)
The events of this book are so ridiculous at times that you can't help but laugh. Alexia is a very flexible person, even down to who she manages to be friends with. I'd like to be a little more like her in that sense, though she has a very strenuous lifestyle that I would not like to live! ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 19, 2015 |
Description: Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?

Thoughts: I will first warn all readers that, from this point on, there are going to be plenty of spoilers. So, if you haven't read Heartless or Timeless and would prefer to not have them spoiled, then STOP HERE. You were warned.

I dove into these last 2 books with great anticipation of more daring do and irresistible humor. It's there, of course, but for some reason it just couldn't hold my attention as well this time. In all honesty, I didn't enjoy or appreciate some of the directions that Carriger takes the series as it ends. I mean, it was easier to accept Felicity as a genuine Suffragette than it was to believe the crazy story of Countess Nadasdy kidnapping Quesnel (especially since the hives have rules against turning people with families to avoid messy situations just as those) and that Madame Lefoux's only option was a rampage through London and environs in a giant metal octopus, at the conclusion of which she's almost killed Alexia (a couple times over) and lost the pack their home... WHICH SEEMS INSANE! Madame Lefoux is nothing if not subtle, except perhaps in her attraction to Alexia, and it's the subtlety that I loved about her: the perfect yet restrained men's fashion, the cleverly hidden aspects of Alexia's parasol, the inventor's lab disguised by a hat shop. Where is that subtlety in a 2 story rampaging octopus, may I ask? Now, if Carriger was really determined that Madame Lefoux play villainesse, why in the world didn't she come up with something that actually rang true to the woman? Madame Lefoux surely could have come up with a myriad of clever ways to achieve her goals that DIDN'T involve such an absurd situation...

And it was very unlike Alexia to fail to realize that inviting the Mayfair Hive into Woolsey would be more than a kind gesture while they regrouped. It felt awfully lazy of Carriger to brush this off so easily and blame it on Alexia's baby brain- that smacks of something a man would have written. I just did not approve.

And the preposterous living arrangements... well, that really boggled the mind. Why in the world couldn't they just add a hidden door between the two houses? Madame Lefoux probably could have done a bang up job and perhaps have been kept out of the octopus making business in the process. I mean, if you are trying to hide the fact that you are secretly planning on raising the child you actually adopted out, then it's probably a better idea to have a bedroom in your own home rather than a closet that necessitates a gang plank. But that's just a thought. I mean, really, adjoining houses just SCREAM for a hidden door, do they not?

Oh, and my dear Prof. Lyall in the role of Agent Doom? Seriously. This is just absurd.

I just... well, I just don't know what to think, really. I had a lot of fun with the first 3 books, even the second one that was disappointing, but in more of a boring way than in a "this series has gone off the rails kind of way." But these last two felt like they had lost the thread a bit, that characters were being pushed in directions that didn't make that much sense for them, which left the plots feeling forced. I don't know. I hate that I wasn't as enamored as I wanted to be. Maybe that's really the biggest disappointment.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/134084#3296917 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 13, 2015 |
Still fun, but there was so much chaos and it was a little over the top. ( )
  caittilynn | Jan 1, 2015 |

My there was a lot of eating done in the forth book of the Parasol Protectorate. I was shocked by the fact that Alexia wasn't confined, as was the custom in England during this era. I did find so much humor in the final chapters of the book, but I shall not spoil this humorous end. So please continue on with your day.
Cheers Pretties! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
Love everything about Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series. Fun, easy on the brain, ever-entertaining, steampunk, genre fantasy fiction - what's not to love? It's unique in it's plot development, with truly fun characters and scene settings that are never rushed. When I finish reading Timeless, the last book in the series - I will be sad. ( )
  rubymadden | Mar 22, 2014 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Notation to the Records, Subject P-464-AT, Alexia Tarabotti
Archivist: Mr. Phinkerlington, junior clerk, aethographic transmission specialist, second class
Subject P-464-AT is with child, sire unknown.

-Back cover

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,100,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible