Heartless by Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:historical fantasy

Heartless by Gail Carriger

English (104)  French (1)  German (1)  Piratical (1)  All (107)
Another light romp through London with dandy vampires and polite were wolves. I think she's gone a bit too fast with the rampant destruction of houses, bit she's set things up for a very interesting next book. I'm looking forward to book 5 ( )
  shadowdancer | Jun 22, 2017 |
Pregnant lady running around London with werewolves, vampires, and high fashion? What's not to like?

Alexia is up to all of her old tricks, only this one she has to to it while pregnant Keeping the vampire hives happy and not wanting to murder her baby. Figuring out an assassination plot on the queen. Keeping track of her werewolf husband and the rest of the pack.

I liked how this book gave us enough info on the mythology without detracting too much from the plot. It set it up nicely for the final. Some of the points did seem rather repetitive, and a few of the big reveals were pretty standardly predictable. Overall a good continuation of the story, and I'll be happy to finish it out. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
l
  pieandsunshine | Aug 21, 2016 |
Bringing some of the minor characters such as Biffy, Felicity and Professor Lyall forward to share center stage with Alexia really livens things up since, let's face it, her husband can be a bit of a bore. Heartless has just enough plot to hold the innuendos and vivid steampunk imagery together. I'm almost sad there's only one book left in this series. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
Loved it! I think what gets me the most about this series is the mixture of the comedy when they are in dire situations. I'm sure there are other books that do that out there, but this is a first for me so I'm truly enjoying it. Then you add the supernatural stuff and I'm hooked. The descriptions used when Alexia is moving about in her pregnant state were funny as well and rang all too true to someone who's been pregnant three times. I'm also adoring how much the couple still shows their love for each other. I was saddened in this book to find out who that "bad guy" was because even when all the signs were pointing that way, I still wanted it not to be true. I'm curious how that will end up playing out in the next (last?) book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Notation to the Records, Subject P-464-AT, Alexia Tarabotti
Archivist: Mr. Phinkerlington, junior clerk, aethographic transmission specialist, second class
Subject P-464-AT is with child, sire unknown.

Lady Alexia Maccon, soulless, is at it again, only this time the trouble is not her fault. When a mad ghost threatens the queen, Alexia is on the case, following a trail that leads her deep into her husband's past. Top that off with a sister who has joined the suffragette movement (shocking!), Madame Lefoux's latest mechanical invention, and a plague of zombie porcupines and Alexia barely has time to remember she happens to be eight months pregnant.

Will Alexia manage to determine who is trying to kill Queen Victoria before it is too late? Is it the vampires again or is there a traitor lurking about in wolf's clothing? And what, exactly, has taken up residence in Lord Akeldama's second best closet?

-Back cover

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,087,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible