Timeless by Gail Carriger
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read, fiction, steampunk, vampires, werewolves

Timeless by Gail Carriger

English (85)  Piratical (1)  All languages (86)
Synopsis: Alexis's daughter, Prudence, is a bit more than any of them expected. Precocious and stubborn, her touch changes immortals and that makes her quite dangerous to all involved. Alexis's sister tells reveals a secret that could tear apart the pack and Alexis's marriage. The queen of the Cairo hive demands a visit from Prudence, which leads to murder, kidnapping and more hats.
Review: I hate that this is the last book in this series. This book was very well written and concluded the storyline very nicely; although it does leave openings for other tales. ( )
  DrLed | Apr 8, 2015 |
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Woo! Binge read complete! Having finished a series feels good, even though my feelings on this series are really mixed. It’s been a fun listen all the way through, from love to rage to annoyance, but, even so, I do rather wish I’d stopped after the first book. It would stand alone perfectly well, and the series never got any better than that one was for me. The conclusion to the series is satisfying, but I am not without quibbles.

Timeless, in the time-honored tradition of avoiding the boredom that babies present from a narrative perspective, opens two years after the prior Parasol Protectorate novel ended. Since Alexia’s daughter Prudence has matured a bit faster than most kids, she’s now able to talk and to be fairly interesting. As young kids go, I like her. How can I not feel some kinship with a girl whose favorite word is “no”? According to my parents, I went through that phase too and it was lengthy. Props to Carriger for managing to write about both pregnancy and a toddler in a way that I don’t find tedious. What makes this possible is Alexia’s lack of maternal instincts. She loves her daughter, but also acknowledges that Lord Akeldama, Florence’s legal guardian, is a much better parent than she.

Prudence doesn’t serve much of a purpose to the plot, but she is an amusing figure. She basically just wreaks havoc, running around and stealing people’s paranormal powers. She is, however, the means of getting the plot to Egypt. A vampire queen wants to meet with young Prudence and apparently this is an invitation that cannot be resisted, so off go the Maccons and the Tunstalls. The Egyptian setting is awesome and, plot-wise, I thought this novel was the strongest, aside from perhaps Soulless.

So far as tone goes, I think if you’ve loved the whole series, then you’ll be delighted with the conclusion. I’m just not as impressed with the series as everyone else is. I feel like plot and characterization are regularly sacrificed in the pursuit of drama or laughs. A book can be hilarious and dramatic without needing to make characters behave uncharacteristically.

Oh, I did get my gay ship finally. That’s the best thing about Timeless. Gay werewolves! I ship it, though honestly it would have been difficult to get me to not ship the gay werewolves. However, they’re so sweet to each other and I totally approve. That said, I’m not sure how I feel about Biffy being an alpha. He doesn’t seem to have the personality for it, and it seems like another example of someone acting out of character for some laughs. On the other hand, Ivy Tunstall becoming a vampire queen is hilarious.

Two things irritated me greatly in Timeless, both to do with Conall Maccon. First, there’s the fact that he learns Alexia lied to him for his own good. He’s angry and runs off and considers sundering their marriage again. He should be mad and should tell her not to do that again, but to my mind she has a free pass since he dumped her for being pregnant with HIS child. How did she not point this out even? Grrrrr. Then there’s the death fake out. Conall dies, but just kidding. Apparently even as a human he can be shot a couple of times and fall a great distance to the ground without dying. Yeah. Right. This is such bullshit both plot-wise and believability-wise. FAIL.

There you have it, folks. The Parasol Protectorate series is a great deal of fun, particularly on audio. However, the first book is, in my opinion, the best one and it might be advisable to quit while you’re ahead.

*dramatically closes parasol* ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 6, 2015 |
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I was sad to come to the end of this series and grateful that there was a twist or two at the end! Alexia's brand of pragmatism and forthrightness in the face of the supernatural just brings a smile to my face. I wish there had been a little more of the relationship between Alexia and Connell at the end - issues of trust were raised but not really resolved. Overall it has been a fun ride with Lord and Lady Maccon. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 25, 2015 |
Description: Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle.

Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

Thoughts: I will first warn all readers that, from this point on, there are going to be plenty of spoilers. So, if you haven't read Heartless or Timeless and would prefer to not have them spoiled, then STOP HERE. You were warned.

And then Timeless. Well, I did compare Alexia to Amelia Peabody, but that idea seems to be taken a mite too far when Alexia et al up and pop off to Egypt! Luxor AND mummies? I expected Emerson to show up any moment to run the "tourists" off his excavation site.

The highlight of Timeless was undoubtedly Biffy. Shining little star, although he's been that for quite a while now. And thank god he and Lyall finally got together because once I figured out that Ivy and Lyall weren't... suited for each other, I decided Biffy and Lyall would make an excellent couple. Now, the stupid "I have to leave you to go off to Scotland" thing was infuriating, but whatever. At that point, I just had to go with it.

So many parts of Timeless felt totally off kilter to me. Floote was a wanton assassin of werewolves? I mean, we knew he was a secret badass, but he loves Alexia and the knowledge of her discomfort at such a thing should have been enough to stop him from following through, right? It broke my heart to see him go bad, even if it wasn't for his own selfish reasons but on orders from Alexia's father.

But anyway, I kept muddling through, thinking "Ok, this has gotten ridiculous and characters are being tossed all over the place, but it's still a little exciting and funny, so I'll play along." And then.... then IVY TUNSTELL became a vampire hive queen?!?!?!? Excuse me? What book am I reading here? This just can't be happening! It was so ludicrous that I gave up trying to make sense of it from that point on.

For example, Goldenrod? I get that that was Lord Akeldama, but what did he have to do with Alexia's father, the God Breaker Plague, and the mysterious Drifters? How in the world could that just be left hanging? Unless that was a set up to The Parasol Protectorate Abroad series that Carriger is writing about Prudence? Which would be a dirty trick.

I just... well, I just don't know what to think, really. I had a lot of fun with the first 3 books, even the second one that was disappointing, but in more of a boring way than in a "this series has gone off the rails kind of way." But these last two felt like they had lost the thread a bit, that characters were being pushed in directions that didn't make that much sense for them, which left the plots feeling forced. I don't know. I hate that I wasn't as enamored as I wanted to be. Maybe that's really the biggest disappointment.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/134084#3296917 ( )
1 vote leahbird | Jan 13, 2015 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible