Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5)…

Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5) (edition 2012)

by Gail Carriger

Member:elsebeok
Title:Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:novel, series, Alexia Tarabotti, supernatural, Britain

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Recently added byprivate library, AlexJK, Avogt221, Pigletto, jenuhhcide, meggie77, stormy50, RavynHawke, jevins

English (99)  Piratical (1)  German (1)  All (101)
What a disappointing end to a pretty good series. I've already spent a good half-hour venting about this to my mother, so you will all get the short version (trying not to include spoilers, natch).

A lot of events felt contrived or rushed, the action scenes were clunky, the depiction of Egypt was simplistic and verging on problematic, and the entirety of Biffy's story arc was ridiculous. Also, I felt like the ending was also rushed when it should have been thoroughly explored in the text given how many things happened that were Really Big Deals (especially when related to Ivy, Alexia, Conall, and Biffy). Let's not get into the fact that Lord Akeldama has become a faint, stereotypical shade of his former self who doesn't bat an eye when Biffy . . . well, does what he does. Things just didn't make any sense.

If it weren't for Alexia being Alexia, the characters of Madame Lefoux and Kingair being awesome, and the worldbuilding about the mechanics of steampunk Egypt and England, this would probably be one star. I can only hope Carriger's next series (apparently a prequel set in the same verse) doesn't do the same thing - start out okay, build up potential, and then end with a crash. This book could have easily been expanded into two books and been twice as enjoyable. If only! ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
Maybe I read this too close to the fourth one, but it did not seem as cohesive a story. There were A LOT of subplots. Maybe too many. And, though a lot of things were explained, it seemed a little Deathly Hallows-esque in the amount of new mythology added. And even still, not everything was explained. Okay, fine, she's writing other books in the world, maybe we'll get some more answers.

And let me just say, I miss Mdm. Lefoux. She was so cool! Why did she have to go do the stuff she did in the fourth book?

His book had much of the he stuff that makes the series fun to read, but somehow it was just okay, not as excellent as I hoped for. ( )
  jlharmon | Nov 3, 2016 |
Without a doubt this is the best of the series for wickedly clever asides and innuendos. There's also a delicious new romance, several mysteries including a murder - you’ll never guess whodunnit - and a transformation I never saw coming. Best of all, now that Prudence is out, I don’t have to be sad that this is the end of the Parasol Protectorate series. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I really love this series and found this book to be just as entertaining as the previous ones. I'm not really sure what I thought about the ending (don't worry, I don't do spoilers) but I think that I need to read the entire series again, all in one go, in order to make up my mind how I feel about it. I love the characters as well as Carriger's style of writing and found myself giggling out loud during various parts of the story.

This entire series is just plain fun. ( )
  BuffyBarber | Jun 5, 2016 |
Not my favorite from the series. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,417,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible