Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5)…

Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5) (edition 2012)

by Gail Carriger

831None10,847 (4.07)104
Member:elsebeok
Title:Timeless (The Parasol Protectorate, No. 5)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Info:Orbit (2012), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:***
Tags:novel, series, Alexia Tarabotti, supernatural, Britain

Timeless by Gail Carriger

I'm sitting down to write my thoughts on Timeless by Gail Carriger just after spending two hours drinking tea and listening to her talk about writing, self publishing (Crudrat) and audio books. The event will be over and done with by about two weeks by the time this review is posted.

Anyway... Timeless is the last of the Parasol Protectorate series. Though characters in the series might / will / do show up in other books, this is the end of Alexia and Conall's story. Prudence, who makes her debut as a talking, feisty toddler who is thankfully not annoying like Ramses, will be getting her own series dubbed the Custard Protectorate in March 2015.

Lord and Lady Maccon are summoned to Egypt by a vampire queen who shall not be ignored. As it seems to be the source of the plague that turns everyone mortal and untethers ghosts, the Maccons must go. To hide their true motive and give Alexia and excuse to have an extra set of eyes to watch Prudence, her best friend's acting troupe is hired to perform their latest show in Egypt.

Travel to Egypt of course means a certain amount of chaos. There's a kidnapping to contend with, the plague, ancient rivalries, and basic mayhem. In the middle of all of this is of course Prudence who is a strong willed individual with a potentially dangerous in born talent.

It was a fun book but it didn't sweep me off my feet as much as it did my husband. I'm rather skeptical about the inclusion of young children in books. I am looking forward to seeing an older Prudence when she has the wherewithal to speak her mind on things. I'm also grateful to leave Conall and his constant hysterics behind. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 15, 2014 |
Sad to see this series end. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Sad to see this series end. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Mar 14, 2014 |
An underwhelming ending to an underwhelming series.

A one-star rating seems a little harsh for something so insubstantial, but then I remembered how often I found myself getting annoyed while reading. The precocious infant alone qualifies the book for a downgrade.

The plot was ill defined and overly complicated. There were so many flimsy explanations and unresolved loose ends--to the point that I'm fearful this won't be the end of the series after all.

I do hope this is our final goodbye, Alexia. You could have been so much better, but it didn't happen for you, and I find I can't muster up much energy for regrets. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,469,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible