Timeless by Gail Carriger
Member:bw42
Title:Timeless
Authors:Gail Carriger (Author)
Info:New York : Orbit, 2012.
Rating:**
Tags:pb, fantasy, novel, fiction, ub54, @D

Timeless by Gail Carriger

English (80)  Piratical (1)  All languages (81)
A lovely end to the novels. I loved the twists and turns, especially all the final outcomes for everyone. I'm sad to see the series end... perhaps we could get some novellas for the side characters in the future? ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
The last book in the series doesn't let up in the learning about Alexia's father and the role he played in the wider supernatural society. Of course Alexia dumps everything on its head when Ivy's daughter is kidnapped in error instead of her daughter the Soulbreaker. After finishing the book I feel like the series has come to a good conclusion. Of course I want to see more of the characters but I don't feel as if I am left hanging about their futures. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
When I tried to order book 6 of the series, I was stunned to realize Timeless was the last book in the Parasol Protectorate. I enjoyed the characters, the world, the adventures so very much, that I just knew it would go on forever. Alas, no.

Fortunately I figured out there were no more books when I was half way through Timeless. I then switched to the “If I read slower, this series will never end” reading mode. Alas, this did not work for long—

In part because the various threads of the book were so ripe with tension that I just had to know what happened next. I had not realized until half way through Timeless how fraught all the main characters’ situations had become. Alexia Maccon is off to Egypt, Prudence and Lord Maccon in tow, summoned by the world’s oldest vampire, the Queen of the Alexandria Hive. Alexia’s excuse/disguise is Ivy Tunstell’s acting troupe. Her escort from the Woolsey Hive is Madame Lefoux.

Conall Maccon leaves efficient Professor Lyall in charge of the London Werewolves, Biffy is in charge of Madame Lefoux’s hat store. Lord Akeldama is surviving the loss of a closet. Lady Kingair is in Scotland, Floote is still not telling all he knows, Victoria is still on the throne. All would seem right in the world, expect Felicity Loontwill, the fly in everyone’s ointment, causes trouble, Biffy falls in love, Alexia and Conall fight, Prudence should have been kidnapped – oh, by the middle of Timeless, it’s all a dreadful mess.

But Gail Carriger solves all the problems perfectly. And being Gail Carriger, she doesn’t just cleanly solve each problem with the swipe of a magic wand. No, the solutions are convoluted and complex which is ultimately so much more satisfying - don’t you agree?

So, although I deeply regret the adventure is over, I am delighted to pronounce it was a thoroughly satisfying, wonderful, wild ride in a world that I really wish did exist or had existed or will exist. ( )
  dibs139 | Jun 13, 2014 |
I'm sitting down to write my thoughts on Timeless by Gail Carriger just after spending two hours drinking tea and listening to her talk about writing, self publishing (Crudrat) and audio books. The event will be over and done with by about two weeks by the time this review is posted.

Anyway... Timeless is the last of the Parasol Protectorate series. Though characters in the series might / will / do show up in other books, this is the end of Alexia and Conall's story. Prudence, who makes her debut as a talking, feisty toddler who is thankfully not annoying like Ramses, will be getting her own series dubbed the Custard Protectorate in March 2015.

Lord and Lady Maccon are summoned to Egypt by a vampire queen who shall not be ignored. As it seems to be the source of the plague that turns everyone mortal and untethers ghosts, the Maccons must go. To hide their true motive and give Alexia and excuse to have an extra set of eyes to watch Prudence, her best friend's acting troupe is hired to perform their latest show in Egypt.

Travel to Egypt of course means a certain amount of chaos. There's a kidnapping to contend with, the plague, ancient rivalries, and basic mayhem. In the middle of all of this is of course Prudence who is a strong willed individual with a potentially dangerous in born talent.

It was a fun book but it didn't sweep me off my feet as much as it did my husband. I'm rather skeptical about the inclusion of young children in books. I am looking forward to seeing an older Prudence when she has the wherewithal to speak her mind on things. I'm also grateful to leave Conall and his constant hysterics behind. ( )
  pussreboots | Apr 15, 2014 |
Sad to see this series end. ( )
  ComicGirl178 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,319,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible