Timeless: An Alexia Tarabotti Novel (The…

Timeless: An Alexia Tarabotti Novel (The Parasol Protectorate) (edition 2012)

by Gail Carriger, Emily Gray (Narrator)

Member:PghDragonMan
Title:Timeless: An Alexia Tarabotti Novel (The Parasol Protectorate)
Authors:Gail Carriger
Other authors:Emily Gray (Narrator)
Info:AudioGO (2012), Audio CD
Collections:Your library, Audio Book
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction;alternate history;victorian;supernatural fiction;werewolves;vampires

Timeless by Gail Carriger

English (83)  Piratical (1)  All languages (84)
3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I was sad to come to the end of this series and grateful that there was a twist or two at the end! Alexia's brand of pragmatism and forthrightness in the face of the supernatural just brings a smile to my face. I wish there had been a little more of the relationship between Alexia and Connell at the end - issues of trust were raised but not really resolved. Overall it has been a fun ride with Lord and Lady Maccon. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 25, 2015 |
Description: Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle.

Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

Thoughts: I will first warn all readers that, from this point on, there are going to be plenty of spoilers. So, if you haven't read Heartless or Timeless and would prefer to not have them spoiled, then STOP HERE. You were warned.

And then Timeless. Well, I did compare Alexia to Amelia Peabody, but that idea seems to be taken a mite too far when Alexia et al up and pop off to Egypt! Luxor AND mummies? I expected Emerson to show up any moment to run the "tourists" off his excavation site.

The highlight of Timeless was undoubtedly Biffy. Shining little star, although he's been that for quite a while now. And thank god he and Lyall finally got together because once I figured out that Ivy and Lyall weren't... suited for each other, I decided Biffy and Lyall would make an excellent couple. Now, the stupid "I have to leave you to go off to Scotland" thing was infuriating, but whatever. At that point, I just had to go with it.

So many parts of Timeless felt totally off kilter to me. Floote was a wanton assassin of werewolves? I mean, we knew he was a secret badass, but he loves Alexia and the knowledge of her discomfort at such a thing should have been enough to stop him from following through, right? It broke my heart to see him go bad, even if it wasn't for his own selfish reasons but on orders from Alexia's father.

But anyway, I kept muddling through, thinking "Ok, this has gotten ridiculous and characters are being tossed all over the place, but it's still a little exciting and funny, so I'll play along." And then.... then IVY TUNSTELL became a vampire hive queen?!?!?!? Excuse me? What book am I reading here? This just can't be happening! It was so ludicrous that I gave up trying to make sense of it from that point on.

For example, Goldenrod? I get that that was Lord Akeldama, but what did he have to do with Alexia's father, the God Breaker Plague, and the mysterious Drifters? How in the world could that just be left hanging? Unless that was a set up to The Parasol Protectorate Abroad series that Carriger is writing about Prudence? Which would be a dirty trick.

I just... well, I just don't know what to think, really. I had a lot of fun with the first 3 books, even the second one that was disappointing, but in more of a boring way than in a "this series has gone off the rails kind of way." But these last two felt like they had lost the thread a bit, that characters were being pushed in directions that didn't make that much sense for them, which left the plots feeling forced. I don't know. I hate that I wasn't as enamored as I wanted to be. Maybe that's really the biggest disappointment.

http://www.librarything.com/topic/134084#3296917 ( )
1 vote leahbird | Jan 13, 2015 |
This was much better than the fourth book. However the trip to Egypt cemented the connection to the Amelia Peabody books. They even have super precocious child who keeps getting into trouble. ( )
  caittilynn | Jan 1, 2015 |
A lovely end to the novels. I loved the twists and turns, especially all the final outcomes for everyone. I'm sad to see the series end... perhaps we could get some novellas for the side characters in the future? ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"I said no such thing," grumbled Lord Maccon, allowing himself, begrudgingly, to be trussed in a new evening jacket.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and new pack member Biffy find love in unexpected places while investigating nefarious goings-on.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,749,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible