I sussurri della notte by Jeaniene Frost

I sussurri della notte (edition 2012)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:blake16
Title:I sussurri della notte
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:Fanucci (2012), Paperback
Rating:***

This Side Of The Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (60)  Italian (1)  All languages (61)

“Ask me if I sparkle and I’ll kill you where you stand.”

My favorite of the series - 'The Side of the Grave' holds the best qualities of the Night Huntress books while mainly leaving the small annoyances behind.

Cat has grown on me more since she's shed some of the annoying, in the face, immature attitude. Bones is still yummy and protective. Their relationship is in no way in the new stages anymore but they still keep it fresh. They work together as a tough team that - while some natural disagreements come up - have each others backs. There's some sex scenes but nothing too overbearing to where it ruins the plot. Most of the magic of that was lost on me after the first few books, but thankfully Frost mainly concentrates on story over steam.

Vlad is hilarious and steals any page he walks on - he's definitely my favorite character, will have to try his side book although I have a feeling that through his viewpoint he may lose some of the mysterious charm he has now. He has a tough side that works with the series but he also brings in needed humor. Bones and Cat have some humor as well but it works even better with ol' Drac around.

Marie as the voodoo queen is creepy and brings a dark grittiness to the series that it needed. Sure, it was dark before, but this brings in a different element when the actual dead become so heavily involved. It almost reminds me of old school Anita Blake black noir feel when that series was actually good.

Mancheres and his new lady love bring in the charm too as more sides of the ancient are seen when sparks fly. Cat adopts some new powers that make her stand out compared to other UF series characters, and I'm glad the author embraced the vulnerable feel with these powers instead of letting it go to the main character's head. The villain was interesting to fit with the story's flow, although not a particularly strong opponent in the end.

There's a truly sad occurrence with a family member, but there's a small cliffhanger on the last pages that holds a punch of humor and made me smile and feel better about that plot turn.

Cat will never be a favorite of mine, but she's more endurable - and when paired when some creative side characters who make it impossible to turn my eyes away, the story shines. Now officially a fan of the series. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Like the previous books it was great It was exciting and funny. Can't wait for the next part.
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
This Side of the Grave
4 Stars

An interspecies conflict is brewing with a ghoul zealot using Cat’s existence to incite his race to war with the vampires. Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from an unlikely ally, but the price she demands may be too high for them to pay...

Cat & Bones have gotten over their childish angst from the past book and make a good team in this installment. While they will never be my favorite UF couple, it is great to see them find a way to reconcile their individual egos, and the sex scene in Chapter 21 is finally in possession of the emotional connection missing from the infamous chapter 32.

The increasing tensions between the supernatural races makes for a good plot and Marie’s machinations leads to some intense and gripping scenes. Nevertheless, Apollyon is not much of a villain and the final showdown, while action packed, is not as satisfying as it could have been.

Once again it is the secondary cast that truly make this book worth reading. The enigmatic Vlad is officially my favorite and I am so looking forward to his spin-off series. Fabian reveals his inner warrior and there hopefully be more about the ghosts and their abilities in the future. Mencheres and Kira are adorable together and the twist at the end with Don becoming a ghost left me with a smile on my face, which is always a good way to end a book. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was my favorite book so far of this fabulous series. I can't wait for the next one coming out this month! I had many laugh-out-loud moments with this latest installment, especially from Vlad. I look forward to Vlad's booking coming out next year as well. And I have found that I have grown accustomed to Bones' high-pitched Cockney accent in the audiobooks. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Kat and Bones have to take on Appylon a bald ghoul that has it in for half-breeds. Kat picks up a new temporary power from Marie Leveau - how to call ghosts. Her uncle Don dies and her mom is in training to work with her old team. Her life isn't simple. Looking forward to the next book! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Matthew, Melissa, and Ilona,
for too many reasons to list.
The vampire pulled on the chaind restraining him to the cave wall.

When vampires begin to disappear and rumors of a new war surface, Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones are forced to align themselves with the ghoul queen of New Orleans.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,482,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible