Lirael by Garth Nix

Lirael (2001)

by Garth Nix

Other authors: Fabrizia Villari Gerli (Translator)

Series: Old Kingdom / Abhorsen (2)

English (107)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (109)
Recensione completa della triologia: http://sognandoleggendo.net/blog/?p=676 ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
It took me approximately ten years to finish reading this, because I kept putting it down and coming back, but it was definitely worth it. So so good! I love Lirael, she's now one of my favorite characters I've read. I can't wait to read Abhorsen! ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
This was an absolutely phenomenal book. Definitely a worthy continuation to Sabriel, though it picks up many years after the ending of the first book. Usually, I have trouble enjoying books that depart so many years from the previous book and are what amounts to next generation works, but this one was absolutely wonderful and engrossing.

The world-building is perfect and I loved getting to see things through Lirael's eyes and how much of the book took place at the Clayr's Glacier and how they did things there. Learning right along Lirael and feeling her emotions, her longing and otherness compared to the people whom she'd lived her whole life with. Lirael's origin story is definitely a very interesting one, indeed, with twists I hadn't seen coming.

Sameth is also a rather interesting character and I'm so glad that we get the chance to know him and travel along with him for a while and see what kind of a person he is, especially considering his parentage.

It was also wonderful to get to see Mogget again, but I think my favorite character for this book somehow turned out to be the Disreputable Dog. She's feisty and entertaining, not to mention that she's absolutely fascinating as the type of magical creature that she is.

There were so many interesting twists and turns in this book, and the plot so engrossing, that despite actually being a bit long it feels like it's rather short. A wonderful read and I'm glad I picked it up. I can't wait until I get my hands on book 3!! ( )
  madam_razz | Apr 18, 2017 |
The second novel in the series introduces us to new characters living in the Clayr’s Glacier, a remote area of the Old Kingdom populated by women who can see glimpses of the future. The plot is slower and focuses more on character and relationships. The main protagonist, Lirael, is far more submissive and bookish than Sabriel, but also ends up being much more relatable.

Lirael picks up roughly twenty years after Sabriel, and concentrates on two characters: Lirael, a Librarian, and Sameth, the prince. The novel is split up into four separate sections, half of which follow Lirael, and half which follow Sameth. The addition of another traveling companion, who is much more loyal and trustworthy, adds heart to a much darker novel. ( )
  Codonnelly | Feb 13, 2017 |
There are parts of this book that deserved a 5 star rating. However, I'm still rating this book as a 4.5 star, although I Iiked it as much as Garth Nix's first book, Sabriel. I wasn't crazy about the character Prince Sameth, who was as annoying as Lirael was amazing! Lirael was seriously such a fantastic protagonist but I can see what's coming with Lirael, as she drags Sameth, kicking and screaming into his destiny as the Prince of the realm. Although Sameth's largely an annoying, spoiled and an obnoxious brat. I loved Lirael and the Disreputable Dog, and I thought they were AMAZING, and loved her as he grows up with the Clayr. I don't want to give too much away, but the story ends in a cliffhanger and I am really looking forward to the next book, Abhorsen! As with Sabriel and Lireal, I am listening to the Audio book as I drive in to work with my daughter each morning.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Jan 27, 2017 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, my family and friends, and to the memory of Bytenix (1986-1999), the original Disreputable Dog.
It was a hot, steamy summer and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060005424, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen years have passed since the necromancer Sabriel bound the Greater Dead Adept Kerrigor beyond the Ninth Gate and helped restore King Touchstone to the Old Kingdom throne. Now she rules at his side as Abhorsen, the sole necromancer of the Old Kingdom, keeping the people safe from the dark power of Free Magic. But this is not just Sabriel's tale. It is also the story of Hedge, a mysterious necromancer who is digging up a monstrous evil that could utterly destroy the Old Kingdom. And it is the story of Prince Sameth, Touchstone and Sabriel's only son, who would rather fight an entire army of Dead than disappoint his beloved parents. And Sam's friend Nick, who has unknowingly loosed Free Magic into the Old Kingdom, blissfully ignorant of its complete malevolence. But mostly, this is the tale of Lirael, the only daughter of the future-seeing Clayr who does not possess the Sight. Burying the pain of her Sightlessness in the Clayr's great library, Third Assistant Librarian Lirael's insatiable curiosity will soon lead her to an unbelievable destiny that may even be connected with that of the great Sabriel herself.

Garth Nix's stunning sequel to Sabriel, full of Mages, Moggets, and even a Disreputable Dog, is on par with the equally superb works of Philip Pullman and William Nicholson. And fantasy lovers of all ages will be thrilled to discover that Lirael ends with more questions than answers, which will mean a third dip into Nix's beguiling Charter Magic. Both exhilarating and mesmerizing, this fine novel is pure enchantment. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

When a dangerous necromancer threatens to unleash a long-buried evil, Lirael and Prince Sameth are drawn into a battle to save the Old Kingdom and reveal their true destinies. Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil. In this sequel to Sabriel, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, New York Times best-selling author Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,148,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible