Lirael by Garth Nix

Lirael (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Garth Nix

Member:thanissaro
Title:Lirael
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2003), Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, read in 2012

Lirael by Garth Nix (2001)

English (104)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (106)
The second novel in the series introduces us to new characters living in the Clayr’s Glacier, a remote area of the Old Kingdom populated by women who can see glimpses of the future. The plot is slower and focuses more on character and relationships. The main protagonist, Lirael, is far more submissive and bookish than Sabriel, but also ends up being much more relatable.

Lirael picks up roughly twenty years after Sabriel, and concentrates on two characters: Lirael, a Librarian, and Sameth, the prince. The novel is split up into four separate sections, half of which follow Lirael, and half which follow Sameth. The addition of another traveling companion, who is much more loyal and trustworthy, adds heart to a much darker novel. ( )
  Codonnelly | Feb 13, 2017 |
There are parts of this book that deserved a 5 star rating. However, I'm still rating this book as a 4.5 star, although I Iiked it as much as Garth Nix's first book, Sabriel. I wasn't crazy about the character Prince Sameth, who was as annoying as Lirael was amazing! Lirael was seriously such a fantastic protagonist but I can see what's coming with Lirael, as she drags Sameth, kicking and screaming into his destiny as the Prince of the realm. Although Sameth's largely an annoying, spoiled and an obnoxious brat. I loved Lirael and the Disreputable Dog, and I thought they were AMAZING, and loved her as he grows up with the Clayr. I don't want to give too much away, but the story ends in a cliffhanger and I am really looking forward to the next book, Abhorsen! As with Sabriel and Lireal, I am listening to the Audio book as I drive in to work with my daughter each morning.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Jan 27, 2017 |
Reread in prep for new release in Series. October, 2014. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Lirael is given a mission that takes her on a treacherous journey, but she is not alone. The Disreputable Dog, her canine companion accompanies her, but she is not what she seems.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Nov 7, 2016 |
Lirael is a Daughter of the Clayr, a group of women who have the gift of Sight, the ability to see into possible futures. Abandoned by her mother at a young age, her father unknown, with dark hair and pale skin, Lirael doesn't look like the rest of the Clayr. Nor has the Sight awoken in her. To take her mind of her troubles Lirael has decided to become a librarian. The Great Library of the Clayr is not without it's dangers. The books themselves can be trouble and there are monsters hidden in the Library's depths. Joined by a magical dog Lirael begins to explore the Library, even the lower levels where no one has gone for years, discovering many secrets.

Prince Sameth, son of King Touchstone and Queen-Abhorsen Sabriel, is the new Abhorsen-in-waiting and is completely terrified by what this means. In order to avoid his duties for as long as possible, Sameth sets out on a journey to locate his friend from school who has decided to visit the Old Kingdom for the first time. Little does Sameth know there are Necromancers stirring up trouble, making travel dangerous, and the dead are no longer staying dead. An evil scheme is afoot. What is Sameth heading into?

Lirael by Garth Nix is the second book in The Abhorson trilogy. The story picks up 14 years after the events in Sabriel. We are introduced immediately to Lirael and life on the Clayr's glacier. The world building in this section is fantastic! I love the idea of a whole society living inside a glacier that's part of a mountain and really wish I could make a trip to their Library. Then the story jumps ahead a few years to introduce Sameth. He has been going to school in Ancelestierre and is on his way home to the Old Kingdom. We are treated to a view of royal life and some of the responsibilities expected of the royal family.

Lirael is another highly capable and likable heroine. Just like any teen aged girl she suffers the angst of wanting to fit in. While she may have doubts about herself being a true Clayr because she does not yet have the Sight, she has no doubts about her skills as a Charter mage. This is quite useful during her explorations of the Library. This first section was so much fun to read that switching characters felt rather abrupt. Sameth is almost the exact opposite of Lirael. He's a young, sniveling boy that just wants to make toys all day. He doesn't want to have anything to do with any of his family's responsibilities and literally runs away from his problems at the first opportunity. Nix doesn't pull any punches with his characters though so you can imagine just how well his lack of good sense goes for Sameth.

The story has good pacing. There is plenty of action, excitement and humor throughout to balance the darker, scary parts. The interactions between the Disreputable Dog and Mogget are some of my favorite scenes. Such great banter between the two creatures. Unlike the first book, which could be read as a stand alone, this one definitely is the first half of a larger story. There are some reveals at the end, one of which I had already guessed, that are a big hook for what is still to come.

Again I listened to the audio book narrated by Tim Curry. His performance is just as great as the first book.

I enjoyed this book so much I downloaded book three before finishing! ( )
  Narilka | Aug 18, 2016 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionscalculated
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, my family and friends, and to the memory of Bytenix (1986-1999), the original Disreputable Dog.
It was a hot, steamy summer and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060005424, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen years have passed since the necromancer Sabriel bound the Greater Dead Adept Kerrigor beyond the Ninth Gate and helped restore King Touchstone to the Old Kingdom throne. Now she rules at his side as Abhorsen, the sole necromancer of the Old Kingdom, keeping the people safe from the dark power of Free Magic. But this is not just Sabriel's tale. It is also the story of Hedge, a mysterious necromancer who is digging up a monstrous evil that could utterly destroy the Old Kingdom. And it is the story of Prince Sameth, Touchstone and Sabriel's only son, who would rather fight an entire army of Dead than disappoint his beloved parents. And Sam's friend Nick, who has unknowingly loosed Free Magic into the Old Kingdom, blissfully ignorant of its complete malevolence. But mostly, this is the tale of Lirael, the only daughter of the future-seeing Clayr who does not possess the Sight. Burying the pain of her Sightlessness in the Clayr's great library, Third Assistant Librarian Lirael's insatiable curiosity will soon lead her to an unbelievable destiny that may even be connected with that of the great Sabriel herself.

Garth Nix's stunning sequel to Sabriel, full of Mages, Moggets, and even a Disreputable Dog, is on par with the equally superb works of Philip Pullman and William Nicholson. And fantasy lovers of all ages will be thrilled to discover that Lirael ends with more questions than answers, which will mean a third dip into Nix's beguiling Charter Magic. Both exhilarating and mesmerizing, this fine novel is pure enchantment. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

When a dangerous necromancer threatens to unleash a long-buried evil, Lirael and Prince Sameth are drawn into a battle to save the Old Kingdom and reveal their true destinies. Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil. In this sequel to Sabriel, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, New York Times best-selling author Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,726,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible