Lirael by Garth Nix

Lirael (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Garth Nix

Member:thanissaro
Title:Lirael
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2003), Hardcover, 528 pages
Collections:read in 2012, stored in Stockport

Lirael by Garth Nix (2001)

English (86)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (88)
More adventuresome fun from Nix in this second volume, which I ripped through in about a day and a half. I confess that I was hoping this one would pick up nearer to the previous installment, but at least Sabriel and Touchstone do make their appearance. While I didn't I enjoy this one quite as much as Sabriel, it was still very much worth reading and it sets up the final volume very well (but with quite a cliffhanger ... I can't imagine having to wait two years between the two books). And the Disreputable Dog, what a character! ( )
  JBD1 | Aug 7, 2014 |
So this book earned its fourth star in the last ten pages, when a lot of things are finally revealed. Prior to that, this book was a little slow going, as it switched between the viewpoint of Lirael, who doesn't quite fit in with the tribe she was born into, and Sameth, a prince who is endeavoring to escape his birthright. I enjoyed Lirael's parts but Sam came off sounding like a spoiled prince trying to disregard his duties more often than not. Either way, the ending made me eager for the next in the series. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 29, 2014 |
This was no where near as good as Sabriel.

I know it's a trilogy, but it just didn't feel like a continuation of the previous book; mostly because the focus was on a completely different character, and it takes a while for the link to be made. It's still set within the same world, which makes it interesting. But it's not as vivid as it's predecessor. ( )
  whimsicalwattle | Sep 27, 2013 |
What Garth Nix needed was a better editor. I thoroughly enjoyed the predecessor to Lirael, Sabriel, but this one left a lot on the table. There are points when I really enjoyed the story, but it was broken up by long sections of average story telling, extended description of teen angst, and generally slow pacing.

That said, the story was a thorough follow-up on Sabriel, took the story to the next level, and was worth the read. I would bump it up a star if the pacing and teen angst hadn't irritated me, but regardless, it was enjoyable.

CAUTION: don't read if you don't like zombies. ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
Did not finish. Enjoyed the first book. This one just seem to fall flat and didn't catch my interest. ( )
  lesmel | May 18, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, my family and friends, and to the memory of Bytenix (1986-1999), the original Disreputable Dog.
It was a hot, steamy summer and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060005424, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen years have passed since the necromancer Sabriel bound the Greater Dead Adept Kerrigor beyond the Ninth Gate and helped restore King Touchstone to the Old Kingdom throne. Now she rules at his side as Abhorsen, the sole necromancer of the Old Kingdom, keeping the people safe from the dark power of Free Magic. But this is not just Sabriel's tale. It is also the story of Hedge, a mysterious necromancer who is digging up a monstrous evil that could utterly destroy the Old Kingdom. And it is the story of Prince Sameth, Touchstone and Sabriel's only son, who would rather fight an entire army of Dead than disappoint his beloved parents. And Sam's friend Nick, who has unknowingly loosed Free Magic into the Old Kingdom, blissfully ignorant of its complete malevolence. But mostly, this is the tale of Lirael, the only daughter of the future-seeing Clayr who does not possess the Sight. Burying the pain of her Sightlessness in the Clayr's great library, Third Assistant Librarian Lirael's insatiable curiosity will soon lead her to an unbelievable destiny that may even be connected with that of the great Sabriel herself.

Garth Nix's stunning sequel to Sabriel, full of Mages, Moggets, and even a Disreputable Dog, is on par with the equally superb works of Philip Pullman and William Nicholson. And fantasy lovers of all ages will be thrilled to discover that Lirael ends with more questions than answers, which will mean a third dip into Nix's beguiling Charter Magic. Both exhilarating and mesmerizing, this fine novel is pure enchantment. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:51 -0400)

When a dangerous necromancer threatens to unleash a long-buried evil, Lirael and Prince Sameth are drawn into a battle to save the Old Kingdom and reveal their true destinies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible