Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy) by Garth Nix

Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy) (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Garth Nix

Title:Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy)
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Lirael by Garth Nix (2001)

English (96)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (98)
What I loved about Sabriel was her lack of angst, atypical for a teenage protagonists. This novel's protagonists unfortunately have far too much of that quality. Also, the Disreputable Dog is a poor imitation of Mogget. ( )
  Audacity88 | Nov 14, 2015 |
I can easily say that I am completely in love with this series. They are literally everything I have been looking for in a YA series. My only regret is that I never read these when I was younger (I was constantly picking them up at the library, but I never actually read them).
Lirael is the sequel to Sabriel (if only i had known that when i was younger, I'm pretty sure Lirael was the one that was always at the library and I could never figure out where it fit in the trilogy). And is set about eighteen or so years after Sabriel. It follows mainly Lirael, but also Sameth, Sabriel and Touchstone's son and the Abhorsen-in-Waiting.
I admit that I was a bit disappointed when I realised that this book was switching main characters. I'm not a huge fan of that happening, especially when the first main character was someone as amazing as Sabriel. I adore Sabriel and would have liked more books about her. However, Lirael is also an amazing protagonist. She's a social outcast, alienated, and very different from her Clayr cousins. In a way she's a little bit like Sabriel in some personality traits, but Lirael struggles with her fate more than Sabriel did. Lirael doesn't really take charge like Sabriel did. That said, I adore how Garth Nix approaches his female protagonists. They're strong women who have incredible roles in their worlds.
Mostly, I adore that there is basically no romance. I mean, these books have necromancy, amazing female protagonists, and no romance. Obviously, they are the perfect books. In Sabriel the romance was incredibly subtle to the point of near nonexsistance. In this one, there is literally no romance. Yes, good. Excellent for a YA book in my opinion. Dear, YA, let's all admire this book for being able to tell a compelling story without having the female protagonist hanging on some guy the entire time. In fact, when Lirael and Sameth do meet, there is zero chance of any of that nonsense, as they have to save the world you know.
Also, the world building and magic system. I am so in love with the magic system in these books. Charter marks and Free magic and necromancy done perfectly. It's such a brilliant system. It's simple enough to not need a great deal of explanation, but elegant. Also, the fact that the entire series is based on necromancers just makes my heart so happy. The duel worlds, The Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre are something else that are just amazing. I love that Ancelstierre is fairly modern (it gives me a pre-WWI feelings to be honest, though I'm not sure where it would really fall in a more 'real world' timeline), and The Old Kingdom is magical and fairly medieval.
Usually, talking animals are something that I kind of am not fond of. So, when the Disreputable Dog turned out to be basically the only thing that Lirael talked to, i was a bit unsure of how I would feel about that. However, the only talking animals in this series are usually Free Magic creatures and something about that just makes it simply ok. They're not animals just talking for the sake of talking animals. Also, the Disreputable Dog is adorable and I really hope we find out what she actually is, because I'm ridiculously curious.
I also appreciate the pacing in these books. Which, I think weirdly enough is what puts a lot of people off them (that is to say, if they're not put off by the necromancy.) They are not action driven, necessarily, and are usually paced in a way that does seem a bit slow. I liked the slow pacing though because it gives the reader a chance to better get a feel for the world and the magic. We aren't being rushed and pushed through the world really quickly with a lot of action to make up for it. We get to savour the world as it's unfolding. In Sabriel it was in the travelling itself, in Lirael it's more with the unfolding of the Clayr and the glacier that they live in.
I also really loved the duel protagonists in this book. Though Sameth kind of annoyed me at times, I really liked his chapters (possibly because we got a bit of Sabriel, his mother, through his chapters). I liked how even though Sameth and Lirael were totally different and in totally different situations, they're feelings and emotions practically mirrored each others.
I'm just really ecstatic about this series as a whole. I can't wait to read Abhorsen (as this one ends, not on a cliff hanger, but the problem at hand is not resolved). Also, I read that Nix is currently working on an Old Kingdom prequel. So, that's fantastic and I can't wait for that. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
@lirael +sabriel ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
Garth Nix has done it again folks.

Lirael is closer to a piece of artwork than a book. The world is so vivid, it becomes a character itself. Nothing in this book is an inanimate object. Everything from the Abhorsen's house to the river Ratterlin has character and charm. Specific settings of the book carry emotion that is felt by the characters and readers alike. For instance, the Clayr's glacier has an air of oppression and deep sadness, while the great library Lirael came to love conveyed a sense of hope. Every single place Lirael visited played an physical and an emotional role in the book.

That brings me to how amazing the Clayr library is. It's everything any bookish person could ever wish for. It had thousands upon thousands of books, rooms filled with magical items, and the lurking threat of an escaped monster at every turn. So generally it was a ton of fun watching Lirael explore it all, learning crucial magics along the way.

Lirael was fantastic. She embodies everything I look for in a protagonist. Smart, funny, and doesn't need no man to get the job done. Lirael managed to use her past to fuel her future, and didn't have the self pity that usually accompanies main characters. She was resourceful; furthering her knowledge of magic every time she could. She was always asking to read magic books or explore ancient tunnels in search of forgotten tomes. I really related to the curious side of her, cause if it were me, I'd be doing the exact same thing.

I loved Lirael's furry companion, the Disreputable Dog almost as much as I loved her. The Dog is awesome. Seriously, where can I get one. She's loyal, funny, and wildly powerful. Unlike Mogget from Sabriel, the Disreputable Dog actually wanted to be with Lirael. It allowed for a kinship that was new to the series.

Sadly, Mogget leads us to the negative part of the review.

So Lirael has a split POV. This usually doesn't bother me, but I absolutely hated Sameth, the other character followed through the book. He is everything Lirael isn't; winey, self absorbed, and privileged. Intill later on in the story, all he does is make bad decisions and complain about the burdens of being the abhorsen in waiting. To make things worse, Mogget is asleep basically the entire time, so we don't get any reprieve from Sam's winey ways. Although, I could see a light at the end of the tunnel for Sam. Throught the series, I see endless potential for growth. He could become the brave warrior that fights for his kingdom. Maybe that day will come, but for the entirety of the book, he was a little snot that really needed to suck it up.

Overall, the book was really good. Honestly, I'm regretting not have picking it up sooner. The ending was a bit abrupt, and Sameth was a little aggravating, Lirael and the world building made up for it seven fold. ( )
  AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
From 4 stars to 1.5...

There was just something tedious about this book. It felt as if nothing really happened; we just got a bit of back story from Lirael, and rather pointless realisations from Sameth. And another talking animal? I really don't think that was necessary. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Villari Gerli, FabriziaTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, my family and friends, and to the memory of Bytenix (1986-1999), the original Disreputable Dog.
It was a hot, steamy summer and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060005424, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen years have passed since the necromancer Sabriel bound the Greater Dead Adept Kerrigor beyond the Ninth Gate and helped restore King Touchstone to the Old Kingdom throne. Now she rules at his side as Abhorsen, the sole necromancer of the Old Kingdom, keeping the people safe from the dark power of Free Magic. But this is not just Sabriel's tale. It is also the story of Hedge, a mysterious necromancer who is digging up a monstrous evil that could utterly destroy the Old Kingdom. And it is the story of Prince Sameth, Touchstone and Sabriel's only son, who would rather fight an entire army of Dead than disappoint his beloved parents. And Sam's friend Nick, who has unknowingly loosed Free Magic into the Old Kingdom, blissfully ignorant of its complete malevolence. But mostly, this is the tale of Lirael, the only daughter of the future-seeing Clayr who does not possess the Sight. Burying the pain of her Sightlessness in the Clayr's great library, Third Assistant Librarian Lirael's insatiable curiosity will soon lead her to an unbelievable destiny that may even be connected with that of the great Sabriel herself.

Garth Nix's stunning sequel to Sabriel, full of Mages, Moggets, and even a Disreputable Dog, is on par with the equally superb works of Philip Pullman and William Nicholson. And fantasy lovers of all ages will be thrilled to discover that Lirael ends with more questions than answers, which will mean a third dip into Nix's beguiling Charter Magic. Both exhilarating and mesmerizing, this fine novel is pure enchantment. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:09 -0400)

When a dangerous necromancer threatens to unleash a long-buried evil, Lirael and Prince Sameth are drawn into a battle to save the Old Kingdom and reveal their true destinies. Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil. In this sequel to Sabriel, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, New York Times best-selling author Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,849,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible