Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy) by Garth Nix

Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy) (original 2001; edition 2008)

by Garth Nix

Member:noapologies
Title:Lirael (Abhorsen Trilogy)
Authors:Garth Nix
Info:HarperTeen (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Lirael by Garth Nix (2001)

Recently added byprivate library, maliora, dosithee, DorkybutCute, thomaskistell, sawyl, dancierosa, kpoole1991, remlub

English (91)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (93)
From 4 stars to 1.5...

There was just something tedious about this book. It felt as if nothing really happened; we just got a bit of back story from Lirael, and rather pointless realisations from Sameth. And another talking animal? I really don't think that was necessary. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I think I have a new-found appreciation and fondness for this series by rereading it. I never actually finished the third book, I stopped only a few chapters in because I read the 3 in a binge but this time I'm spurred on my curiosity. So many questions, What are Mogget and the Disreputable Dog truly? What really happened with the 9 in the Beginning? Gah, I hope Nix answers all of them. ( )
  LopiCake | Mar 25, 2015 |
It took me 3 months to read Lirael… it typically takes me about 1 day to a couple of weeks to finish a decent book. Lirael was an exception to my usual policy of putting down and stepping away from books that bore me for at least a few years. I stuck with Lirael because I enjoy the Old Kingdom and I was/am excited about reading the other books. I really wanted to love this book’s characters and final result, unfortunately I ended up hating a few things right away.

Lirael was a strange character. She is certainly one like I have never read before. She’s a young teenage girl who wants to kill herself because she isn’t like anyone else… in the beginning of the book! I had to keep reading to find out how she gets out of her situation. It was interesting to see how she progressed and how Sabriel fit into everything. Lirael’s innate sense to become a librarian and to stick with books is something I can relate to, and I appreciated the wonders of the Clayr library. (I hope we see more of it in the future or in the short stories.) The disreputable dog was brilliant. I loved her. I thought I loved Mogget, but that was in a completely different way! Towards the end of the book you really get to see the amount of trust and the bond that is Lirael and her dog. It was touching.

Sameth. Oh, Prince Sameth… how I hate you! The only thing I enjoyed learning about Sameth was his ability to create things like a “layman” (in their world, anyway). I thought that Sameth, from his very first chapter was a whiny brat. He really got on my nerves, and it’s actually why it took me so long to read the book. I kept having to put it down whenever Lirael’s chapters finished. I had to keep telling myself “it’s almost over… soon… just hurry… more Dog soon”. It was terrible. I want to say I liked him in the end, but I have a feeling Sameth will be a similar obstacle for me in Abhorsen.

The story was one that I appreciated. This book had better world-building than Sabriel. There were many twists and turns and I appreciated the nod to the first book with creating helpful but worrisome sidekick creatures and quirks of the protagonists. ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |
Lirael is the second novel in the Old Kingdom Series by Garth Nix.

Plot:
Lirael is supposed to be one of the Clayr. But year after year passes and her Sight – the ability to foresee the future – doesn’t awaken. She doesn’t even look like all of her cousins, the rest of the Clayr. At least when she gets a job at the library, she can do a small part in the community and she can explore the library that has quite a few surprises hidden away. Lirael even manages to make/call the Disreputable Dog in whom she finds a loyal friend.
In the meantime Prince Sameth, the son of Sabriel and Touchstone, encounters the Necromancer Hedge in Death. From that point on he feels unable to take up the mantle as the Abhorsen-in-Waiting, descending further into depression, only looking forward to a visit from his Ancelstierrian friend Nicholas.
All of their paths cross when it becomes clear that the entire Old Kingdom is under a serious threat.

When I read the Series for the firs time, I was blown away by Sabriel because it was so new and shiny. And I thought that Abhorsen was the best book of the three. Lirael kind of fell between the cracks of fantastic beginning and satisfying ending. On re-reading it, I’m thinking that I might like it best of all.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/01/28/re-read-lirael-garth-nix/ ( )
  kalafudra | Feb 16, 2015 |
Deep in the north of the Old Kingdom lies the Clayr’s Glacier, where the Clayr as a collective body of tan, blonde females pool their powers of the Sight to see snippets in the fabric of time that may or may not come to be. Stuck amidst the collective is Lirael, who, ungifted with the Sight, can never obtain true adulthood through the rites of the Clayr and sticks out with her dark hair and pale skin. Faced with a perpetual future of not belonging, Lirael begs to be allowed to have duties that will keep her occupied. The Clayr grant Lirael’s wish and sent her to work in the Library where she unlocks mysteries that will send her on a far-reaching adventure. In this sequel to Sabriel, Nix introduces the audience to another empowered heroine all while adding substance to the history and lore of the Old Kingdom through tales of creatures sealed away and eternal struggle between Charter Magic and Free Magic. Along the way, the book also switches perspectives through a couple of new characters in a way that thrillingly connects Lirael to its prequel and emphasizes the expansiveness of the world Nix has wrought to life. Recommended for purchase. Ages 12 and up. ( )
  kornelas1 | Dec 3, 2014 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kattelus, KaisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anna, my family and friends, and to the memory of Bytenix (1986-1999), the original Disreputable Dog.
It was a hot, steamy summer and the mosquitoes swarmed everywhere, from their breeding grounds in the rotten, reedy shores of the Red Lake up to the foothills of Mount Abed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060005424, Mass Market Paperback)

Fourteen years have passed since the necromancer Sabriel bound the Greater Dead Adept Kerrigor beyond the Ninth Gate and helped restore King Touchstone to the Old Kingdom throne. Now she rules at his side as Abhorsen, the sole necromancer of the Old Kingdom, keeping the people safe from the dark power of Free Magic. But this is not just Sabriel's tale. It is also the story of Hedge, a mysterious necromancer who is digging up a monstrous evil that could utterly destroy the Old Kingdom. And it is the story of Prince Sameth, Touchstone and Sabriel's only son, who would rather fight an entire army of Dead than disappoint his beloved parents. And Sam's friend Nick, who has unknowingly loosed Free Magic into the Old Kingdom, blissfully ignorant of its complete malevolence. But mostly, this is the tale of Lirael, the only daughter of the future-seeing Clayr who does not possess the Sight. Burying the pain of her Sightlessness in the Clayr's great library, Third Assistant Librarian Lirael's insatiable curiosity will soon lead her to an unbelievable destiny that may even be connected with that of the great Sabriel herself.

Garth Nix's stunning sequel to Sabriel, full of Mages, Moggets, and even a Disreputable Dog, is on par with the equally superb works of Philip Pullman and William Nicholson. And fantasy lovers of all ages will be thrilled to discover that Lirael ends with more questions than answers, which will mean a third dip into Nix's beguiling Charter Magic. Both exhilarating and mesmerizing, this fine novel is pure enchantment. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:51 -0400)

When a dangerous necromancer threatens to unleash a long-buried evil, Lirael and Prince Sameth are drawn into a battle to save the Old Kingdom and reveal their true destinies. Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil. In this sequel to Sabriel, winner of the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Australian Science Fiction, New York Times best-selling author Garth Nix weaves a spellbinding tale of discovery, destiny, and danger.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,691,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible