Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay

Buttercream Bump Off

by Jenn McKinlay

Series: A Cupcake Bakery Mystery (2)

When Mel's mother is accused of murdering Baxter Malloy on their first date, Mel and her business partner Angie must look into Malloy's past to discover who wanted him dead.

English (23)  Piratical (1)  All languages (24)
Good book with plenty of giggles. I peeked, semi by accident at a part near the end and spoiled myself with who the killer was but why they did it wasn't for the reason(s) I thought..

The ending kind of reminded me of the Matlock, Murder She Wrote and Perry Mason'ish all wrapped up in one but it was fun still....As many cozies seem to be...fun, easy reads with over the top endings! Lol...but, I wouldn't have them any other way! ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
Another fun read in this series! I am looking forward to continuing it. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
With Valentine's Day fast approaching Mel is busy, baking cupcakes for the shop and teaching some couples' cooking classes. She thinks now would be the perfect time for Angie to confess her feelings about Tate, but Angie insists that Tate loves Mel. Mel's relationship with Joe is going nowhere because he's busy working on the biggest case of his career, even Mel's mother Joyce has a hot date with Baxter Mallory. When Joyce's date ends up floating face down in the pool, she becomes the number one suspect, being the only person on the property at the time. Mel knows her mother didn't do it, so she along with Angie and Tate start their own investigation. It turns out that Baxter was running a Ponzi scheme and had ruined a lot of people's lives. There are any number of people who wished Baxter dead, including his own estranged son.

The mystery was well written and was complicated enough to keep me guessing who the killer was but not so difficult that it weighed down the story line. I enjoyed how the friendships and love stories are continuing to develop between the main characters. I liked the addition of Marty to the bakery family he adds a new dynamic to the group. ( )
  FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |

FaytheShattuck | May 23, 2018 |
Mel and Angie have plenty to keep them busy, running their cupcake shop, but they still have time to try to track down a murderer. Mel’s mom is finally going on a date, but it doesn’t end well, especially for her date. Now her mom is a suspect in his death, and Mel stops at nothing to snoop out the truth to clear her mom. Peopled with interesting characters both good and bad, this entertaining cozy is liberally sprinkled with humor. The second in the series, this book works as a standalone, but the characters’ backstory will have you wanting to read the first one if you haven’t already, and you’ll be wishing for the next one, to find out what trouble Mel and Angie stumble into next. ( )
  Maydacat | May 21, 2018 |

Jenn McKinlayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Corless, Laura K.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fitz-Maurice, JeffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Worrell, LesleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Hub, Chris Hansen Orf.
To quote your own song back to you:
'I'll still love you when I'm dust and bone.'
'You need to get to the corner of Fifth Avenue and Scottsdale Road.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,921,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible