Indelible Ink by Fiona McGregor

Indelible Ink (edition 2011)

by Fiona McGregor

Member:michelestjohn
Title:Indelible Ink
Authors:Fiona McGregor
Info:Scribe Publications Pty Ltd. (2011), Paperback, 464 pages
Collections:Read in 2011, Subiaco Library
Tags:Australian, Tatoos, Mosman, Sydney, Divorce

Indelible Ink by Fiona McGregor

This book is excellent. And I say that having approached it with the expectation that I probably wouldn't like it at all. I saw it on the library shelf and read the publisher-elicited quotes by well known Australian authors on the cover and thought "yeah, right". Then I read the blurb, and thought "Hmmm...sounds like I could relate to these characters (Marie King is 59 . . . has lived a rather conventional life on Sydney's affluent north shore..)". And indeed I did relate to the characters and their situations, even to the point that the main character is referred to a doctor who is obviously based on a real doctor - mine! She finds she has cancer (as I have also found), has pet issues (yep), property issues, Sydney climate issues, one gay child (me too). Those connections made the book especially interesting to me, but even aside from that I reckon this is a quality piece of writing that anyone could find to be a cut above the average. Actually, my only criticism is that it reads a little too much as a book directed to Sydney-siders. It has references to places that would be obscure to non-Sydney people, and acronyms that non-Sydney people would need to Google to understand. I'm not sure whether the average reader might find these references a little too impenetrable and with a relevance that is completely lost. That said, however, I have no hesitation in giving it 5 stars and looking for more work by this author. ( )
  oldblack | Feb 1, 2017 |
My review is online here: http://booktothefuture.com.au/?p=1129 ( )
  BooktotheFuture | Mar 30, 2013 |
A moving story about a woman who is compelled to change her life. ( )
  gregandlarry | Sep 25, 2011 |
Women have been reinventing themselves in the novel ever since Elizabeth Bennett but Marie King in Indelible Ink is something else again. Fiona McGregor’s fourth novel has been widely praised, but I read most of Indelible Ink with a sense of fascinated disdain for its central character. Rebellious adolescents are one thing – but a privileged middle-aged women rebelling against her awful children by getting drunk and being sick all over a sofa in a furniture store? Traipsing round Kings’ Cross to get herself plastered in tattoos? Whatever would Jane Austen have thought about that?

Maybe Austen would have understood. Lizzy Bennett’s preoccupation was all about negotiating her way through society’s expectations and constraints to find a life that would satisfy her sense of self-respect, integrity and individuality. Today’s middle-aged women in transition to a new stage in their lives feel the same imperative: it informs Enza Gandolfo’s recent novel Swimming and it’s the underlying issue in Indelible Ink.

The novel expands on the theme of women subverting expectations in Jenny Joseph’s poem ‘Warning’ :

Read the rest of this review at
1 vote anzlitlovers | Jul 1, 2010 |

Marie King is a 59-year-old divorcee from Sydney's affluent north shore. Having devoted her rather conventional life to looking after her husband and three children who have now all departed the family home she is experiencing something of an identity crisis, especially as she must now sell the family home and thus lose her beloved garden.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,516,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible